Expression and activity of superoxide dismutase isoenzymes in colorectal cancer
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was an evaluation of changes in protein level and activity of SOD isoenzymes, and the participation of AP-1 and NF-κB in subsequent stages of colorectal cancer development. Studies were conducted on 65 colorectal cancers. Controls were unchanged colon regions. Activity of SOD isoenzymes, lipid peroxidation level (TBARS), and protein level of SOD1, SOD2, AP-1 and NF-κB were determined. We found that the protein level and activity of SOD isoenzymes and protein level of AP-1 and NF-κB change in subsequent stages of clinical advancement of colorectal cancer, according to UICC (I-IV), and in grades of tumor cells differentiation (G1-G3). These results indicate adaptation of colorectal cancer cells to oxidative stress, and show that the observed changes of SOD activity and protein level depend on gradual progression of colorectal cancer, and suggest an impairment of processes regulated by AP-1 and NF-κB which are critical for tumor progression (proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis).
- Antunes F, Cadenas E (2001) Cellular titration of apoptosis with steady state concentrations of H2O2: submicromolar levels of H2O2 induce apoptosis through Fenton chemistry independent of the cellular thiol state. Free Radic Biol Med 30: 1008-1018.
- Ausubel FM, Brent R, Kingstone RE, Moore DD, Seidman JG, Smith JA, Struhl K (2000) Current Protocols in Molecular Biology; vol 2. Wiley J, Massachusets General Hospital, Harvard Medical School.
- Ballinger AB, Anggiansah C (2007) Colorectal cancer. BMJ 335: 715-718.
- Beauchamp C, Fridovich I (1971) Superoxide dismutase: improved assays and an assay applicable to acrylamide gels. Anal Biochem 44: 276-287.
- Benson AB 3rd (2007) Epidemiology, disease progression, and economic burden of colorectal cancer. J Manag Care Pharm 13: S5-S18.
- Bergendi L, Benes L, Durackova Z, Ferencik M (1999) Chemistry, physiology and pathology of free radicals. Life Sci 65: 1865-1874.
- Borrello S, Demple B (1997) NF kappa B-independent transcriptional induction of the human manganous superoxide dismutase gene. Arch Biochem Biophys 348: 289-294.
- Bubici C, Papa S, Pham CG, Zazzeroni F, Franzoso G (2006) The NF-kappaB-mediated control of ROS and JNK signaling. Histol Histopathol 21: 69-80.
- Casaril M, Corso F, Bassi A, Capra F, Gabrielli GB, Stanzial AM, Nicoli N, Corrocher R (1994) Decreased activity of scavenger enzymes in human hepatocellular carcinoma, but not in liver metastases. Int J Clin Lab Res 24: 94-97.
- Conner EM, Grisham MB (1996) Inflammation, free radicals and antioxidants. Nutrition 12: 274-277.
- Devi GS, Prasad MH, Saraswathi I, Raghu D, Rao DN, Reddy PP (2000) Free radicals antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in different types of leukemias. Clin Chim Acta 293: 53-62.
- Eliseev RA, Schwarz EM, Zuscik MJ, O'Keefe RJ, Drissi H, Rosier RN (2006) Smad7 mediates inhibition of Saos2 osteosarcoma cell differentiation by NFκB. Exp Cell Res 312: 40-50.
- Floryk D, Huberman E (2005) Differentiation of androgen-independent prostate cancer PC-3 cells is associated with increased nuclear factor-κB activity. Cancer Res 65: 11588-11596.
- Gopalakrishna R, Jaken S (2000) Protein kinase C signaling and oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med 28: 1349-1361.
- Greten FR, Karin M (2004) The IKK/NF-κB activation pathway - a target for prevention and treatment of cancer. Cancer Lett 206: 193-199.
- Griffioen G, Lamers CB, van Krieken JH, van de Velde CJ, Verspaget HW (2000) Superoxide dismutases in gastric and esophageal cancer and the prognostic impact in gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res 6: 3183-3192.
- Guo G, Yan-Sanders Y, Lyn-Cook BD, Wang T, Tamae D, Ogi J, Khaletskiy A, Li Z, Weydert C, Longmate JA, Huang TT, Spitz DR, Oberley LW, Li JJ (2003) Manganese superoxide dismutase-mediated gene expression in radiation-induced adaptive responses. Mol Cell Biol 23: 2362-2378.
- Hileman EO, Liu J, Albitar M, Keating MJ, Huang P (2004) Intrinsic oxidative stress in cancer cells: a biochemical basis for therapeutic selectivity. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 53: 209-219.
- Huang P, Feng L, Oldham EA, Keating MJ, Plunkett W (2000) Superoxide dismutase as a target for the selective killing of cancer cells. Nature 407: 390-395.
- Hussain SP, Hofseth LJ, Harris CC (2003) Radical causes of cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 3: 276-285.
- Hyoung-Pyo K, Jung-Hye RP, Boon C, Moon BY (1999) Transcriptional activation of the human manganese superoxide dismutase gene mediated by tetradecanoylphorbol acetate. J Biol Chem 271: 37455-37460.
- Janssen AM, Bosman CB, Kruidenier L, Griffioen G, Lamers CB, van Krieken JH, van de Velde CJ, Verspaget HW (1999) Superoxide dismutases in the human colorectal cancer sequence. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 125: 327-335.
- Janssen AM, Bosman CB, van Duijn W, Oostendorp-van de Ruit MM, Kubben FJ, Kanbagli O, Ozdemirler G, Bulut T, Yamaner S, Aykac-Toker G, Uysal M (2000) Mitochondrial lipid peroxides and antioxidant enzymes in colorectal adenocarcinoma tissues. Jpn J Cancer Res 91: 1258-1263.
- Johnson F, Giulivi C (2005) Superoxide dismutases and their impact upon human health. Mol Aspects Med 26: 340-352.
- Jung K, Seidel B, Rudolph B, Lein M, Cronauer MV, Henke W, Hampel G, Schnorr D, Loening SA (1997) Antioxidant enzymes in malignant prostate cell lines and in primary cultured prostatic cells. Free Radic Biol Med 23: 127-133.
- Karin M (1995) The regulation of AP-1 activity by mitogen-activated protein kinases. J Biol Chem 270: 16483-16486.
- Karin M (1999) How NF-kB is activated: the role of IkB kinase (IKK) complex. Oncogene 18: 6867-6874.
- Koningsberger JC, van Asbeck BS, van Fassen E, WIegman LJ, van Hattun J, van Berge Henegouwen GP, Marx J (1994) Copper, zinc - superoxide dismutase and hydrogen peroxide: a hydroxyl radical generating system. Clin Chim Acta 230: 51-61.
- Kundu JK, Surh YJ (2004) Molecular basis of chemoprevention by resveratrol: NF-kB and AP-1 as potential targets. Mutat Res 555: 65-80.
- Laemmli UK (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680-685.
- Mao GD, Thomas PD, Lopaschuk GD, Poznansky MJ (1993) Superoxide dismutase (SOD) - catalase conjugates. Role of hydrogen peroxide and Fenton reaction in SOD toxicity. J Biol Chem 268: 416-420.
- Mehic D, Bakiri L, Ghannadan M, Wagner EF, Tschachler E (2005) Fos and jun proteins are specifically expressed during differentiation of human keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol 124: 212-220.
- Nicco C, Laurent A, Chereau C, Weill B, Batteux F (2005) Differential modulation of normal and tumor cell proliferation by reactive oxygen species. Biomed Pharmacother 59: 169-174.
- Oberley LW, Spitz DR (1984) Assay of superoxide dismutase activity in tumor tissue. Methods Enzymol 105: 457-464.
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K (1979) Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 95: 351-358.
- Ohshima H, Tatemichi M, Sawa T (2003) Chemical basis of inflammation-induced carcinogenesis. Arch Biochem Biophys 417: 3-11.
- Olinski R, Jaruga P, Zastawny TH (1998) Oxidative DNA base modifications as factors in carcinogenesis. Acta Biochim Polon 45: 561-572.
- Pelicano H, Carney D, Huang P (2004) ROS stress in cancer cells and therapeutic implications. Drug Resist Updat 7: 97-110.
- Ryborg AK, Johansen C, Iversen L, Kragballe K (2004) Lysophosphatidylcholine induces keratinocyte differentiation and upregulation of AP-1- and NF-κB DNA-binding activity. Acta Derm Venereol 84: 433-438.
- Seo SJ, Kim HT, Cho G, Rho HM, Jung G (1996) Sp1 and C/EBP-related factor regulate the transcription of human Cu/ZnSOD gene. Gene 178: 177-185.
- Shaulian E, Karin M (2002) AP-1 as a regulator of cell life and death. Nature Cell Biol 4: E131-E136.
- Suh YA, Arnold RS, Lassegue B, Shi J, Xu X, Sorescu D, Chung AB, Griendling KK, Lambeth JD (1999) Cell transformation by the superoxide-generating oxidase Mox1. Nature 401: 79-82.
- Van Driel BE, Lyon H, Hoogenraad DC, Anten S, Hansen U, Van Noorden CJ (1997) Expression of CuZn- and Mn-superoxide dismutase in human colorectal neoplasms. Free Radic Biol Med 23: 435-444.
- Wang T, Zhang X, Li JJ (2002) The role of NF-kappaB in the regulation of cell stress responses. Int Immunopharmacol 2: 1509-1520.
- Wang SH, Wang YZ, Zhang KY, Shen JH, Zhou HQ, Qiu XY (2005) Effect of superoxide dismutase and malondialdehyde metabolic changes on carcinogenesis of gastric carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 11: 4305-4310.
- Yoo HY, Chang MS, Rho HM (1999a) The activation of rat coper/zinc superoxide dismutase gene by hydrogen peroxide-responsive element and by paraquat and heat shock through the same heat shock element. J Biol Chem 274: 23887-23892.
- Zelko IN, Mariani TJ, Folz RJ (2002) Superoxide dismutase multigene family: A comparison of the Cu,ZnSOD (sod1), Mn-SOD (sod2), and EC-SOD (sod3) gene structures, evolution, and expression. Free Radic Biol Med 33: 337-349.
Publication order reference