Role of Escherichia coli heat shock proteins IbpA and IbpB in protection of alcohol dehydrogenase AdhE against heat inactivation in the presence of oxygen
Languages of publication
Escherichia coli small heat shock proteins IbpA and IbpB are molecular chaperones that bind denatured proteins and facilitate their subsequent refolding by the ATP-dependent chaperones DnaK/DnaJ/GrpE and ClpB. In vivo, the lack of IbpA and IbpB proteins results in increased protein aggregation under severe heat stress or delayed removal of aggregated proteins at recovery temperatures. In this report we followed the appearance and removal of aggregated alcohol dehydrogenase, AdhE, in E. coli submitted to heat stress in the presence of oxygen. During prolonged incubation of cells at 50°C, when AdhE was progressively inactivated, we initially observed aggregation of AdhE and thereafter removal of aggregated AdhE. In contrast to previous studies, the lack of IbpA and IbpB did not influence the formation and removal of AdhE aggregates. However, in ΔibpAB cells AdhE was inactivated and oxidized faster than in wild type strain. Our results demonstrate that IbpA and IbpB protected AdhE against thermal and oxidative inactivation, providing that the enzyme remained soluble. IbpA and IbpB were dispensable for the processing of irreversibly damaged and aggregated AdhE.
- Benov L, Fridovich I (1995) Superoxide dismutase protects against aerobic heat shock in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol 177: 3344-3346.
- Bradford MM (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for quantition of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 72: 248-254.
- Cecarini V, Gee J, Fioretti E, Amini EM, Angeletti M, Eleuteri AM, Keller JN (2007) Protein oxidation and cellular homeostasis: emphasis on metabolism. Biochim Biophys Acta 1773: 93-104.
- Clark DP, Cronan JE (1980) Escherichia coli mutants with altered control of alcohol dehydrogenase and nitrate reductase. J Bacteriol 141: 177-183.
- Dalle-Donne I, Aldini A, Carini M, Colombo R, Rossi R, Milzani A (2006) Protein carbonylation, cellular dysfunction, and disease progression. J Cell Mol Med 10: 389-406.
- Echave P, Esparca-Ceron MA, Cabiscol E, Tamarit J, Ros J, Membrillo-Hernández J, Lin ECC (2002) DnaK dependence of mutant ethanol oxidoreductases evolved for aerobic function and protective role of the chaperone against protein oxidative damage in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 4626-4631.
- Eraso JM, Weinstock GM (1992) Anaerobic control of colicin E1 production. J Bacteriol 174: 5101-5109.
- Fredriksson A, Ballesteros M, Dukan S, Nyström T (2005) Defense against protein carbonylation by DnaK/DnaJ and proteases of the heat shock regulon. J Bacteriol 187: 4207-4213.
- Fredriksson A, Ballesteros M, Dukan S, Nyström T (2007) Induction of the heat shock regulon in response to increased mistranslation requires oxidative modification of the malfolded proteins. Mol Microbiol 59: 350-359.
- Haslbeck M, Franzmann T, Weinfurtner D, Buchner J (2005) Some like it hot: the structure and function of small heat shock proteins. Nat Struct Mol Biol 12: 842-846.
- Jiao W, Li P, Zhang J, Zhang H, Chang Z (2005) Small heat-shock proteins function in the insoluble protein complex. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 335: 227-231.
- Kitagawa M, Miyakawa M, Matsumura Y, Tsuchido T (2000) Small heat shock proteins, IbpA and IbpB, are involved in resistances to heat and superoxide stress in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett 184: 165-171.
- Kitagawa M, Miyakawa M, Matsumura Y, Tsuchido T (2002) Escherichia coli small heat shock proteins, IbpA and IbpB, protect enzymes from inactivation by heat and oxidant. Eur J Biochem 269: 2907-2917.
- Kuczyńska-Wiśnik D, Kędzierska S, Matuszewska E, Lund P, Taylor A, Lipińska B, Laskowska E (2002) The Escherichia coli small heat-shock proteins IbpA and IbpB prevent the aggregation of endogenous proteins denatured in vivo during extreme heat shock. Microbiology 148: 1757-1765.
- Laskowska E, Wawrzynów A, Taylor A (1996) IbpA and IbpB, the new heat shock proteins, bind to endogenous Escherichia coli proteins aggregated intracellularly by heat shock. Biochimie 78: 117-122.
- Matayoshi S, Oda H, Sarwar G (1989) Relationship between the production of spirosomes and anaerobic glycolysis activity in Escherichia coli B. J Gen Microbiol 135: 525-529.
- Matuszewska M, Kuczyńska-Wiśnik D, Laskowska E, Liberek K (2005) The small heat shock protein IbpA from Escherichia coli cooperates with IbpB in stabilization of thermally aggregated proteins in a disaggregation competent state. J Biol Chem 280: 12292-12298.
- Matuszewska E, Kwiatkowska J, Kuczyńska-Wiśnik D, Laskowska E (2008) Escherichia coli heat-shock proteins IbpA/B are involved in resistance to oxidative stress induced by copper. Microbiology 154: 1739-1747.
- Membrillo-Hernández J, Echave P, Cabiscol E, Tamarit J, Ros J, Lin ECC (2000) Evolution of the adhE gene product of Escherichia coli from a functional reductase to a dehydrogenase. J Biol Chem 275: 33869-33875.
- Mitraki A, King J (1989) Protein folding intermediates and inclusion body formation. Biotechnology 7: 690-697.
- Mogk A, Deuerling E, Vorderwülbecke S, Vierling E, Bukau B (2003a) Small heat shock proteins, ClpB and the DnaK system form a functional triade in reversing protein aggregation. Mol Microbiol 50: 585-595.
- Mogk A, Schlieker C, Friedrich KL, Schönfeld HJ, Vierling E, Bukau B (2003b) Refolding of substrates bound to small Hsps relies on a disaggregation reaction mediated most efficiently by ClpB/DnaK. J Biol Chem 278: 31033-31042.
- Nakamoto H, Vigh L (2007) The small heat shock proteins and their clients. Cell Mol Life Sci 64: 294-306.
- Nyström T (2005) Role of oxidative carbonylation in protein quality control and senescence, EMBO J 24: 1311-1317.
- Perez JM, Calderon IL, Arenas FA, Fuentes DE, Pradenas GA, Fuentes EL, Sandoval JM, Castro ME, Elias AO, Vasques CC (2007) Bacterial toxicity of potassium tellurite: unveiling an ancient enigma. PLoS ONE 2: e211.
- Sambrook J, Fritsh EF, Maniatis F (1989) Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York.
- Sun Y, MacRae TH (2005) The small heat shock proteins and their role in human disease. FEBS J 272: 2613-2627.
- Veinger L, Diamant S, Buchner J, Goloubinoff P (1998) The small heat-shock protein IbpB from Escherichia coli stabilizes stress-denatured proteins for subsequent refolding by a multichaperone network. J Biol Chem 273: 11032-11037.
Publication order reference