Determination of hydroperoxides in aqueous solutions containing surfactants by the ferrous oxidation-xylenol orange method
Languages of publication
Some surfactants widely used as additives in food, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetic formulations are susceptible to peroxidation resulting in accumulation of hydroperoxides (HP). Our investigation was aimed to study the possible influence of different surfactants on the proportionality and reproducibility of the ferrous oxidation-xylenol orange method developed originally for the determination of hydroperoxides. We also attempted to apply this method to determine hydroperoxides produced radiolytically in surfactant molecules. From our preliminary studies we conclude that the method can be applied for determination of hydroperoxides in systems containing non-ionic or anionic surfactants provided careful calibration is performed for each surfactant.
- Bou R, Codony R, Tres A, Decker EA, Guardiola F (2008) Determination of hydroperoxides in foods and biological samples by the ferrous oxidation-xylenol orange method: A review of factors that influence the method's performance. Anal Biochem 377: 1-15.
- Ding S (1993) Quantitation of hydroperoxides in the aqueous solution of non-ionic surfactants using polysorbate 80 as the model surfactant. J Pharm Biomed Anal 11: 95−101.
- Gay C, Collins J, Gebicki JM (1999a) Determination of iron in solutions with the ferric-xylenol orange complex. Anal Biochem 273: 143−148.
- Gay C, Collins J, Gebicki JM (1999b) Hydroperoxide assay with the ferric-xylenol orange complex. Anal Biochem 273: 149−155.
- Gay C, Gebicki JM (2002) Perchloric acid enhances sensitivity and reproducibility of the ferric-xylenol orange peroxide assay. Anal Biochem 304: 42−46.
- Gebicki JM, Du J, Collins J, Tweeddale H (2000) Peroxidation of proteins and lipids in suspensions of liposomes, in blood serum, and in mouse myeloma cells. Acta Biochim Polon 47: 901-911.
- Gupta BL (1973) Microdetermination techniques for H2O2 in irradiated solutions. Microchem J 18: 363-374.
- Jaeger J, Sorensen K, Wolff SP (1994) Peroxide accumulation in detergents. J Biochem Biophys Methods 29: 77−81.
- Jiang ZY, Woollard ACS, Wolff SP (1990) Hydrogen peroxide production during experimental protein glycation. FEBS Lett 268: 69-71.
- Jiang ZY, Woollard ACS, Wolff SP (1991) Lipid hydroperoxide measurement by oxidation of Fe2+ in the presence of xylenol orange. Comparison with the TBA assay and an iodometric method. Lipids 26: 853-856.
Publication order reference