A novel lectin with antiproliferative activity from the medicinal mushroom Pholiota adiposa
Languages of publication
Little was known about biological activities of compounds from the medicinal mushroom of the genus Pholiota. A lectin from the Pholiota adiposa has now been isolated and its properties tested. The isolation procedure included ion exchange chromatography on DEAE-cellulose and CM-cellulose, and fast protein liquid chromatography-gel filtration (FPLC) on Superdex 75. The lectin was composed of two identical subunits, each with a molecular mass of 16 kDa. Its N-terminal amino-acid sequence showed little similarity to sequences of other Agaricales lectins. The hemagglutinating activity of the lectin was stable at temperatures up to 50°C, and in NaOH and HCl solutions with concentrations less than 25 mM. It was inhibited by inulin (12.5-200 mM), but enhanced by Cu2+ (6.25-25 mM), Fe2+ (12.5-25 mM), and Al3+ (6.25-25 mM) ions. The lectin showed antiproliferative activity toward hepatoma Hep G2 cells and breast cancer MCF7 cells with an IC50 of 2.1 µM and approximately 3.2 µM, respectively. It exhibited HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity with an IC50 of 1.9 µM. When compared with P. aurivella lectin, the only Pholiota lectin published to date, P. adiposa lectin differs in chromatographic behavior, molecular mass, N-terminal sequence, and effect of cations on hemagglutinating activity. In the case of the lectin from P. aurivella, its antifungal, antiproliferative, and HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activities have not been determined.
- Bottcher M, Grosse F (1997) HIV-1 protease inhibits its homologous reverse transcriptase by protein-protein interaction. Nucleic Acids Res 25: 1709-1714.
- Cho SM, Lee YM, Lee DH, Chun HK, Lee JS (2006) Effect of a Pholiota adiposa extract on fat mass in hyperlipidemic mice. Mycobiol 34: 236-239.
- Crenshaw RW, Harper SN, Moyer M, Privalle LS (1995) Isolation and characterization of a cDNA clone encoding a lectin gene from Agaricus bisporus. Plant Physiol 107: 1465-1466.
- Feng K, Liu QH, Ng TB, Liu HZ, Li JQ, Chen G, Sheng HY, Xie ZL, Wang HX (2006) Isolation and characterization of a novel lectin from the mushroom Armillaria luteo-virens. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 345: 1573-1578.
- Guillot J, Konska G (1997) Lectins in higher fungi. Biochem Syst Ecol 25: 203-230.
- Han CH, Liu QH, Ng TB, Wang HX (2005) A novel homodimeric lactose-binding lectin from the edible split gill medicinal mushroom Schizophyllum commune. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 336: 252-257.
- Ho JCK, Sze SCW, Shen WZ, Liu WK (2004) Mitogenic activity of edible mushroom lectins. Biochim Biophys Acta 1671: 9-17.
- Izawa H, Aoyagi Y (2006) Inhibition of angiotensin converting enzyme by mushroom. J Jap Soc Food Sci Technol 53: 459-465.
- Kawagishi H, Nomura A, Mizuno T, Kimura A, Chiba S (1990) Isolation and characterization of a lectin from Grifola frondosa fruiting bodies. Biochim Biophys Acta 1034: 247-252.
- Kawagishi H, Abe Y, Nagata T, Kimura A, Chiba S (1991) A lectin from the mushroom Pholiota aurivella. Agric Biol Chem 55: 2485-2489.
- Kawagishi H, Mori H, Uno A, Kimura A, Chiba S (1994) A sialic acid-binding lectin from the mushroom Hericium erinaceum. FEBS Lett 340: 56-58.
- Ko JL, Hsu CI, Lin RH, Kao CL, Lin JY (1995) A new fungal immunomodulatory protein, FIP-fve isolated from the edible mushroom, Flammulina velutipes and its complete amino acid sequence. Eur J Biochem 228: 244-249.
- Koo KC, Lee DH, Kim JH, Yu HE, Park JS, Lee JS (2006) Production and characterization of antihypertensive angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitor from Pholiota adiposa. J Microbiol Biotechnol 16: 757-763.
- Kruger RP, Winter HC, Simonson-Leff N, Stuckey JA, Goldstein IJ, Dixon JE (2002) Cloning, expression, and characterization of the Galalpha 1,3Gal high affinity lectin from the mushroom Marasmius oreades. J Biol Chem 277: 15002-15005.
- Laemmli UK, Favre M (1973) Maturation of the head of bacteriophage T4. I. DNA packaging events. J Mol Biol 80: 575-599.
- Li YR, Liu QH, Wang HX, Ng TB (2008) A novel lectin with potent antitumor, mitogenic and HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activities from the edible mushroom Pleurotus citrinopileatus. Biochim Biophys Acta 1780: 51-57.
- Liu QH, Wang HX, Ng TB (2004) Isolation and characterization of a novel lectin from the wild mushroom Xerocomus spadiceus. Peptides 25: 7-10.
- Liu QH, Wang HX, Ng TB (2006) First report of a xylose-specific lectin with potent hemagglutinating, antiproliferative and anti-mitogenic activities from a wild ascomycete mushroom. Biochim Biophys Acta 1760: 1914-1919.
- Martin F, Aerts A, Ahren D, Brun A, Danchin EG, Duchaussoy F, Gibon J, Kohler A (2008) The genome of Laccaria bicolor provides insights into mycorrhizal symbiosis. Nature 452: 88-92.
- Nagata Y, Yamashita M, Honda H, Akabane J, Uehara K, Saito A, Sumisa F, Nishibori K, Oodaira Y (2005) Characterization, occurrence, and molecular cloning of a lectin from Grifola frondosa: jacalin-related lectin of fungal origin. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69: 2374-2380.
- Ng TB (2004) Peptides and proteins from fungi. Peptides 25: 1055-1073.
- Ngai PHK, Ng TB (2004) Isolation of a mushroom (Ganoderma carpense) lectin with spectacular thermostability, potent mitogenic activity on splenocytes and antiproliferative activity on tumor cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 314: 988-993.
- Oguri S, Ando A, Nagata Y (1996) A novel developmental stage-specific lectin of the basidiomycete Pleurotus cornucopiae. J Bacteriol 178: 5692-5698.
- Pemberton RT (1984) Agglutinins (lectins) from some British higher fungi. Mycolog Res 98: 277-290.
- Walti MA, Walser PJ, Thore S, Grünler A, Bednar M, Künzler M, Aebi M (2008) Structural basis for chitotetraose coordination by CGL3, a novel galectin-related protein from Coprinopsis cinerea. J Mol Biol 379: 146-159.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2004) Purification of a novel low-molecular-mass laccase with HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from the mushroom Tricholoma giganteum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 315: 450-454.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2006) A ribonuclease from the wild mushroom Boletus griseus. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 72: 912-916.
- Wang HX, Liu WK, Ng TB, Ooi VEC, Chang ST (1996) The immunomodulatory and antitumor activities of lectins from the mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum. Immunopharmacology 31: 205-211.
- Wang HX, Ng TB, Ooi VEC (1998) Lectins from mushrooms. Mycol Res 102: 897-906.
- Wang HX, Gao JQ, Ng TB (2000) A new lectin with highly potent antihepatoma and antisarcoma activities from the oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 275: 810-816.
- Wang HX, Ng TB, Liu Q (2002) Isolation of a new heterodimeric lectin with mitogenic activity from fruiting bodies of the mushroom Agrocybe cylindracea. Life Sci 70: 877-886.
- Yu HE, Lee DH, Seo GS, Cho SM, Lee JS (2007) Characterization of a novel β-hydroxy-β-methyl glutaryl coenzyme a reductase-inhibitor from the mushroom, Pholiota adiposa. Biotechnol Bioprocess Eng 12: 618-624.
- Zhao C, Sun H, Tong X, Qi Y (2003) An antitumour lectin from the edible mushroom Agrocybe aegerita. Biochem J 374: 321-327.
- Zhao Y, Li K, Zhang Y (2007) Anti-tumor function of polysaccharides from Pholiota adiposa mycelium. Acta Edulis Fungi 14: 49-54.
- Zhuang C, Murata T, Usui T, Kawagishi H, Kobayashi K (1996) Purification and characterization of a lectin from the toxic mushroom Amanita pantherina. Biochim Biophys Acta 1291: 40-44.
Publication order reference