Mutational analysis of the AtNUDT7 Nudix hydrolase from Arabidopsis thaliana reveals residues required for protein quarternary structure formation and activity
Languages of publication
Arabidopsis thaliana AtNUDT7, a homodimeric Nudix hydrolase active on ADP-ribose and NADH, exerts negative control on the major signaling complex involved in plant defense activation and programmed cell death. The structural and functional consequences of altering several amino-acid residues of the AtNUDT7 protein have been examined by site-directed mutagenesis, far-UV circular dichroism (CD), attenuated total reflection-Fourier transform infrared (ATR-FTIR) and photon correlation (PCS) spectroscopy, biochemical analysis and protein-protein interaction studies. Alanine substitutions of F73 and V168 disallowed dimer formation. Both the F73A- and V168A-mutated proteins displayed no observable enzymatic activity. Alanine substitution of the V69 residue did not significantly alter the enzyme activity and had no influence on dimer arrangement. The non-conserved V26 residue, used as a negative control, did not contribute to the enzyme quaternary structure or activity. Detailed biophysical characterization of the wild-type and mutant proteins indicates that the mutations do not considerably alter the secondary structure of the enzyme but they affect dimer assembly. In addition, mutating residues V69, F73 and V168 disrupted the binding of AtNUDT7 to the regulatory 14.3.3 protein. These are the first studies of the structure-function relationship of AtNUDT7, a Nudix hydrolase of important regulatory function.
- Altschul SF, Gish W, Miller W, Myers EW, Lipman DJ (1990) Basic local alignment search tool. J Mol Biol 215: 403-410.
- Bartsch M, Gobbato E, Bednarek P, Debey S, Schultze JL, Bautor J, Parker JE (2006) Salicylic acid-independent ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1 signaling in Arabidopsis immunity and cell death is regulated by the monooxygenase FMO1 and the Nudix hydrolase NUDT7. Plant Cell 18: 1038-1051.
- Bessman MJ, Frick DN, O'Handley SF (1996) The MutT proteins or Nudix hydrolases, a family of versatile, widely distributed, housecleaning enzymes. J Biol Chem 271: 25059-25062.
- Böhm G, Mühr R, Jaenicke R (1992) Quantitative analysis of protein far UV circular dichroism spectra by neural networks. Protein Eng 5: 191-195.
- Calero M, Gasset M (2005) Fourier transform infrared and circular dichroism spectroscopies for amyloid studies. Methods Mol Biol 299: 129-151.
- Fischer D (2003) 3DS3 and 3DS5 3D-SHOTGUN meta-predictors in CAFASP3. Proteins 53: Suppl 6 517-523.
- Ge X, Li G-J, Wang S-B, Zhu H, Zhu T, Wang X, Xia Y (2007) AtNUDT7, a negative regulator of basal immunity in Arabidopsis, modulates two distinct defense response pathways and is involved in maintaining redox homeostasis. Plant Physiol 145: 204-215.
- Ginalski K, Elofsson A, Fischer D, Rychlewski L (2003) 3D-Jury: a simple approach to improve protein structure predictions. Bioinformatics 19: 1015-1018.
- Gough J, Karplus K, Hughey, Chothia C (2001) Assignment of homology to genome sequences using a library of hidden Markov models that represent all proteins of known structure. J Mol Biol 313: 903-919.
- Jambunathan N, Mahalingam R (2006) Analysis of Arabidopsis growth factor gene 1 (GFG1) encoding a nudix hydrolase during oxidative signaling. Planta 224: 1-11.
- James P, Halladay J, Craig EA (1996) Genomic libraries and a host strain designed for highly efficient two-hybrid selection in yeast. Genetics 144: 1425-1436.
- Jaroszewski L, Rychlewski L, Li Z, Li W, Godzik A (2005) FFAS03: a server for profile-profile sequence alignments. Nucleic Acids Res 33: W284-288.
- Jones DT (1999) Gen THREADER: an efficient and reliable protein fold recognition method for genomic sequences. J Mol Biol 287: 797-815.
- Kelley LA, MacCallum RM, Sternberg MJ (2000) Enhanced genome annotation using structural profiles in the program 3D-PSSM. J Mol Biol 299: 499-520.
- Kelley L, Bennett-Lovsey R, Herber A Web Page: http://www.sbg.bio.ic.ac.uk/phyre/
- Kraszewska E, Olejnik K, Wyslouch-Cieszynska A (2004) An Arabidopsis thaliana homologue of the human GFG protein is active on ADP-ribose and FAD. Eur J Biochem 271: Supplement 71.
- Lambert C, Leonard N, De Bolle X, Depiereux E (2002) ESyPred3D: Prediction of proteins 3D structures. Bioinformatics 18: 1250-1256.
- Landau M, Mayrose I, Rosenberg Y, Glaser F, Martz E, Pupko T, Ben-Tal N (2005) ConSurf 2005: the projection of evolutionary conservation scores of residues on protein structures. Nucleic Acids Res 33: W299-302.
- Mach H, Middaugh CR, Lewis RV (1992) Statistical determination of the average values of the extinction coefficients of tryptophan and tyrosine in native proteins. Anal Biochem 200: 74-80.
- McGuffin LJ, Jones DT (2003) Improvement of the GenTHREADER method for genomic fold recognition. Bioinformatics 19: 874-881.
- Mildvan AS, Xia Z, Azurmendi HF, Saraswat V, Leger PM, Massiah MA, Gabelli SB, Bianchet MA, Kang L-W, Amzel LM (2005) Structures and mechanisms of Nudix hydrolases. Arch Biochem Biophys 433: 129-143.
- Ogawa T, Ueda Y, Yoshimura K, Shigeoka S (2005) Comprehensive analysis of cytosolic Nudix hydrolases in Arabidopsis thaliana. J Biol Chem 280: 25277-25283.
- Olejnik K, Kraszewska E (2005) Cloning and characterization of an Arabidopsis thaliana Nudix hydrolase. Biochim Biophys Acta 1752: 133-141.
- Ray S, Nowak R, Strokovich K, Brown RH Jr, Walz T, Lansbury PT Jr ( 2004) An intersubunit disulfide bond prevents in vitro aggregation of a superoxide dismutase-1 mutant linked to familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Biochemistry 43: 4899-4905.
- Roberts MR, Salinas J, Collinge DB (2002) 14-3-3 proteins and the response to abiotic and biotic stress. Plant Mol Biol 50: 1031-1039.
- Shi J, Blundell TL, Mizuguchi K (2001) FUGUE: sequence-structure homology recognition using environment-specific substitution tables and structure-dependent gap penalties. J Mol Biol 310: 243-257.
- Soding J (2005) Protein homology detection by HMM-HMM comparison. Bioinformatics 21: 951-960.
- Ye Y, Godzik A (2003) Flexible structure alignment by chaining aligned fragment pairs allowing twists. Bioinformatics 19 (Suppl 2): ii246-ii255.
Publication order reference