Nucleoside diphosphate kinase isoforms regulated by phytochrome A isolated from oat coleoptiles
Languages of publication
Nucleoside diphosphate kinase (NDPK) (EC 18.104.22.168), the enzyme transferring the phosphate residue from ATP to nucleoside diphosphates, is localized mainly in the cytoplasm and mitochondria and in smaller amounts in cell nuclei and the microsomal fraction. Exposure of etiolated oat seedlings to red light causes an increase of the enzyme activity by about 42% in nuclear fraction, 7% in etioplastic and 14% in postetioplastic fraction. Endogenous phytochrome A, as visualized by an immunochemical method, translocates from the cytoplasm into the nucleus upon red, far-red or white light activation. Nuclei purified from oat seedlings contain two, and the postnuclear fraction four easily separated forms of NDPK. One of the nuclear isoforms (In) and one isoform isolated from the postnuclear fraction (IIpn) are activated by red light in the presence of phytochrome A purified from etiolated oat coleoptiles. Both phytochrome A-activated NDPKs purified to electrophoretic homogeneity have the same molecular mass (17-18 kDa) determined by SDS/PAGE. Both enzymes in the native form have similar molecular masses (71 and 63 kDa).
- Anderca MI, Furuichi T, Pinontoan R, Muto S (2002) Identification of a mitochondrial nucleoside diphosphate kinase from green alga Dunaliella tertiolecta. Plant Cell Physiol 43: 1276-1284.
- Baillat G, Gaillard S, Castets F, Monneron A (2002) Interactions of phocein with nucleoside-diphosphate kinase, Eps15, and dynamin I. J Biol Chem 277: 18961-18966.
- Barthel TK, Walker GC (1999) Inferences concerning the ATPase properties of DnaK and other HSP70s are affected by the ADP kinase activity of copurifying nucleoside-diphosphate kinase. J Biol Chem 274: 36670-36678.
- Bölter B, Sharma R, Soll J (2007) Localisation of Arabidopsis NDPK2 - revisited. Planta 226: 1059-1065.
- Bominaar AA, Molijn AC, Pestel M, Veron M, Van Haastert PJM (1993) Activation of G-proteins by receptor-stimulated nucleoside diphosphate kinase in Dictyostelium. EMBO J 12: 2275-2279.
- Castillon A, Shen H, Huq E (2007) Phytochrome interacting factors: central players in phytochrome-mediated light signaling networks. Trends Plant Sci 12: 514-521.
- Choi G, Yi H, Lee J, Kwon Y-K, Soh MS, Shin B, Luka Z, Hahn T-R, Song P-S (1999) Phytochrome signalling is mediated through nucleoside diphosphate kinase 2. Nature 401: 610-613.
- Choi G, Kim J-I, Hong S-W, Shin B, Choi G, Blakeslee JJ, Murphy AS, Seo YW, Kim K, Koh E-J, Song P-S, Lee H (2005) A possible role for NDPK2 in the regulation of auxin-mediated responses for plant growth and development. Plant Cell Physiol 46: 1246-1254.
- Cuello F, Schulze RA, Heemeyer F, Meyer HE, Lutz S, Jakobs KH, Niroomand F, Wieland T (2003) Activation of heterotrimeric G proteins by a high energy phosphate transfer via nucleoside diphosphate kinase (NDPK) B and Gβ subunits. J Biol Chem 278: 7220-7226.
- Dorion S, Matton DP, Rivoal J (2006) Characterization of a cytosolic nucleoside diphosphate kinase associated with cell division and growth in potato. Planta 224: 108-124.
- Engel M, Veron M, Theisinger B, Lacombe M-L, Seib T, Dooley S, Welter C (1995) A novel serine/threonine-specific protein phosphotransferase activity of Nm23/nucleoside-diphosphate kinase. Eur J Biochem 234: 200-207.
- Escobar Galvis ML, Hakansson G, Alexciev K, Knorpp C (1999) Cloning and characterisation of a pea mitochondrial NDPK. Biochimie 81: 1089-1096.
- Escobar Galvis ML, Marttila S, Hakansson G, Forsberg J, Knorpp C (2001) Heat stress response in pea involves interaction of mitochondrial nucleoside diphosphate kinase with a novel 86-kilodalton protein. Plant Physiol 126: 69-77.
- Evans A, Smith H (1976) Localization of phytochrome in etioplasts and its regulation in vitro of gibberellin levels. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 73: 138-142.
- Fankhauser C, Chen M (2008) Transposing phytochrome into the nucleus. Trends Plant Sci 13: 596-601.
- Finan PM, White IR, Redpath SH, Findlay JBC, Millner PA (1994) Molecular cloning, sequence determination and heterologous expression of nucleoside diphosphate kinase from Pisum sativum. Plant Mol Biol 25: 59-67.
- Fukamatsu Y, Yabe N, Hasunuma K (2003) Arabidopsis NDK1 is a component of ROS signaling by interacting with three catalases. Plant Cell Physiol 44: 982-989.
- Hamada T, Hasunuma K (1994) Phytochrome-mediated light signal transmission to the phosphorylation of proteins in the plasma membrane and the soluble fraction of etiolated pea stem sections. J Photochem Photobiol B 24: 163-167.
- Hamada T, Tanaka N, Noguchi T, Kimura N, Hasunuma K (1996) Phytochrome regulates phosphorylation of a protein with characteristics of a nucleoside diphosphate kinase activity in the crude membrane fraction from stem section of etiolated pea seedlings. J Photochem Photobiol B 33: 143-151.
- Hamada T, Hasunuma K, Komatsu S (1999) Phosphorylation of proteins in the stem section of etiolated rice seedling irradiated with red light. Biol Pharm Bull 22: 122-126.
- Hammargren J, Salinas T, Maréchal-Drouard L, Knorpp C (2007) The pea mitochondrial nucleoside diphosphate kinase cleaves DNA and RNA. FEBS Lett 581: 3507-3511.
- Harlow E, Lane D (1988) Antibodies. A laboratory manual. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
- Harris N, Taylor JE, Roberts JA (1994) Isolation of a mRNA encoding a nucleoside diphosphate kinase from tomato that is up-regulated by wounding. Plant Mol Biol 25: 739-742.
- Hartsough MT, Steeg PS (2000) Nm23/Nucleoside diphosphate kinase in human cancers. J Bioenerg Biomembr 32: 301-308.
- Hippe H-J, Lutz S, Cuello F, Knorr K, Vogt A, Jakobs KH, Wieland T, Niroomand F (2003) Activation of heterotrimeric G proteins by a high energy phosphate transfer via nucleoside diphosphate kinase (NDPK) B and Gβ subunits. J Biol Chem 278: 7227-7233.
- Hurkman WJ, Dupont FM, Altenbach SB, Combs A, Chan R, Tanaka CK, Reuveni M, Bernardin JE (1998) BiP, HSP70, NDK and PDI in wheat endosperm. II. Effects of high temperature on protein and mRNA accumulation. Physiol Plant 103: 80-90.
- Iizuka N, Mori N, Tamesa T, Tangoku A, Oka M (2003) Telomerase activity and Nm23-H2 protein expression in hepatocellular carcinoma. Anticancer Res 23: 43-48.
- Im YJ, Kim J-I, Shen Y, Na Y, Han Y-J, Kim S-H, Song P-S, Eom SH (2004) Structural analysis of Arabidopsis thaliana nucleoside diphosphate kinase-2 for phytochrome-mediated light signaling. J Mol Biol 343: 659-670.
- Johansson M, Mackenzie-Hose A, Andersson I, Knorpp C (2004) Structure and mutational analysis of plant mitochondrial nucleoside diphosphate kinase. Identification of residues involved in serine phosphorylation and oligomerization. Plant Physiol 136: 3034-3042.
- Kikkawa S, Takahashi K, Takahashi K-I, Shimada N, Ui M, Kimura N, Katada T (1990) Conversion of GDP into GTP by nucleoside diphosphate kinase on the GTP-binding proteins. J Biol Chem 265: 21536-21540.
- Kim J-I, Kozhukh GV, Song P-S (2002) Phytochrome-mediated signal transduction pathways in plants. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 298: 457-463.
- Kim J-I, Shen Y, Han Y-J, Park J-E, Kirchenbauer D, Soh M-S, Nagy F, Schafer E, Song P-S (2004) Phytochrome phosphorylation modulates light signaling by influencing the protein-protein interaction. Plant Cell 16: 2629-2640.
- Kimura N, Shimada N, Fukuda M, Ishijima Y, Miyazaki H, Ishii A, Takagi Y, Ishikawa N (2000) Regulation of cellular functions by nucleoside diphosphate kinases in mammals. J Bioenerg Biomembr 32: 309-315.
- Kimura N, Shimada N, Ishijima Y, Fukuda M, Takagi Y, Ishikawa N (2003) Nucleoside diphosphate kinases in mammalian signal transduction systems: Recent development and perspective. J Bioenerg Biomembr 35: 41-47.
- Lacombe M-L, Milon L, Munier A, Mehus JG, Lambeth DO (2000) The human Nm23/nucleoside diphosphate kinases. J Bioenerg Biomembr 32: 247-258.
- Leung S-M, Hightower LE (1997) A 16-kDa protein functions as a new regulatory protein for Hsc70 molecular chaperone and identified a member of the Nm23/nucleoside diphosphate kinase family. J Biol Chem 272: 2607-2614.
- Lorrain S, Genoud T, Fankhauser C (2006) Let there be light in the nucleus! Curr Opin Plant Biol 9: 509-514.
- Lübeck J, Soll J (1995) Nucleoside diphosphate kinase from pea chloroplasts: purification, cDNA cloning and import into chloroplasts. Planta 196: 668-673.
- Ma D, Xing Z, Liu B, Pedigo NG, Zimmer SG, Bai Z, Postel EH, Kaetzel DM (2002) NM23-H1 and NM23-H2 repress transcriptional activities of nuclease-hypersensitive elements in the platelet-derived growth factor-A promoter. J Biol Chem 277: 1560-1567.
- McVeigh T, Caffrey P, Owen P (1988) Silver staining of proteins and lipopolysaccharides in SDS-polyacrylamide gels. In Immunochemical and molecular genetics analysis of bacterial photogens, Owen P, Foster TJ eds, pp 267-279. Elsevier Science Publishers.
- Moisyadi S, Dharmasiri S, Harrington HM, Lukas TJ (1994) Characterization of a low molecular mass autophosphorylating protein in cultured sugarcane cells and its identification as a nucleoside diphosphate kinase. Plant Physiol 104: 1401-1409.
- Moon H, Lee B, Choi G, Shin D, Prasad DT, Lee O, Kwak S-S, Kim DH, Nam J, Bahk J, Hong JC, Lee SY, Cho MJ, Lim CO, Yun D-J (2003) NDP kinase 2 interacts with two oxidative stress-activated MAPKs to regulate cellular redox state and enhances multiple stress tolerance in transgenic plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 358-363.
- Narayanan R, Ramaswami M (2003) Regulation of dynamin by nucleoside diphosphate kinase. J Bioenerg Biomembr 35: 49-55.
- Nomura T, Fukui T, Ichikawa A (1991) Purification and characterization of nucleoside diphosphate kinase from spinach leaves. Biochim Biophys Acta 1077: 47-55.
- Nomura T, Yatsunami K, Honda A, Sugimoto Y, Fukui T, Zhang J, Yamamoto J, Ichikawa A (1992) The amino acid sequence of nucleoside diphosphate kinase I from spinach leaves, as deduced from the cDNA sequence. Arch Biochem Biophys 297: 42-45.
- Ogita Z-I, Markert CL (1979) A miniaturized system for electrophoresis on polyacrylamide gels. Anal Biochem 99: 233-241.
- Ogura T, Tanaka N, Yabe N, Komatsu S, Hasunuma K (1999) Characterization of protein complexes containing nucleoside diphosphate kinase with characteristics of light signal transduction through phytochrome in etiolated pea seedlings. Photochem Photobiol 69: 397-403.
- Otero AS (2000) NM23/Nucleoside diphosphate kinase and signal transduction. J Bioenerg Biomembr 32: 269-275.
- Parks RE Jr, Agarwal RP (1973) Nucleoside diphosphokinases. In The Enzymes, Boyer PD ed, vol 8, pp 370-344. Academic Press, New York.
- Postel EH, Berberich SJ, Flint SJ, Ferrone CA (1993) Human c-myc transcription factor PuF identified as nm23-H2 nucleoside diphosphate kinase, a candidate suppressor of tumor metastasis. Science 261: 478-480.
- Quail PH (2002) Phytochrome photosensory signalling networks. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3: 85-93.
- Ryu JS, Kim J-I, Kunkel T, Kim B-C, Cho DS, Hong SH, Kim S-H, Fernandez AP, Kim Y, Alonso JM, Ecker JR, Nagy F, Lim PO, Song P-S, Schafer E, Nam HG (2005) Phytochrome-specific type 5 phosphatase controls light signal flux by enhancing phytochrome stability and affinity for a signal transducer. Cell 120: 395-406.
- Struglics A, Hakansson G (1999) Purification of a serine and histidine phosphorylated mitochondrial nucleoside diphosphate kinase from Pisum sativum. Eur J Biochem 262: 765-773.
- Tanaka N, Ogura T, Noguchi T, Hirano H, Yabe N, Hasunuma K (1998) Phytochrome-mediated light signals are transduced to nucleoside diphosphate kinase in Pisum sativum L. cv. Alaska. J Photochem Photobiol B 45: 113-121.
- Vierstra RD, Quail PH (1983) Purification and initial characterization of 124-kilodalton phytochrome from Avena. Biochem 22: 2498-2505.
- Wagner PD, Steeg PS, Vu N-D (1997) Two-component kinase-like activity of nm23 correlates with its motility-suppressing activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 9000-9005.
- White IR, Finan PM, Millner PA (1993) Nucleoside diphosphate kinase associated with Pisum sativum microsomal membranes: apparent binding of GTP S at nM concentration. J Plant Physiol 142: 191-196.
- Yang KA, Moon H, Kim G, Lim CJ, Hong JC, Lim CO, Yun D-J (2003) NDP kinase 2 regulates expression of antioxidant genes in Arabidopsis. Proc Japan Acad 79: 86-91.
- Zhang J, Nomura T, Yatsunami K, Honda A, Sugimoto Y, Moriwaki T, Yamamoto J, Ohta M, Fukui T, Ichikawa A (1993) Nucleotide sequence of the cDNA encoding nucleoside diphosphate kinase II from spinach leaves. Biochim Biophys Acta 1171: 304-306.
- Zhang J, Fukui T, Ichikawa A (1995) A third type of nucleoside diphosphate kinase from spinach leaves: purification, characterization and amino-acid sequence. Biochim Biophys Acta 1248: 19-26.
- Zhong HH, Resnick AS, Straume M, Mcclung CR (1997) Effects of synergistic signaling by phytochrome A and cryptochrome 1 on circadian clock-regulated catalase expression Plant Cell 9: 947-955.
- Zimmermann S, Baumann A, Jaekel K, Marbach I, Engelberg D, Frohnmeyer H (1999) UV-responsive genes of Arabidopsis revealed by similarity to the Gcn4-mediated UV response in yeast. J Biol Chem 274: 17017-17024.
Publication order reference