Aldolase A is present in smooth muscle cell nuclei
Languages of publication
Previously we have shown that aldolase (ALD; EC 22.214.171.124) is present in cardiomyocyte nuclei. Now, we focused our attention on ALD localization in smooth muscle cells. Immunocytochemical methods were used to study the subcellular localization of ALD. Aldolase was localized in the cytoplasm as well as in the nuclei. Within the nuclei ALD was located in the heterochromatin region. Native polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis followed by aldolase activity staining in gel was used to study the ALD isoenzyme pattern in porcine smooth muscle cells. Two ALD isoenzymes, A and C, were found in these cells but in the nuclei only the muscle isoenzyme was detected. To support the nuclear localization of ALD, measurement of aldolase activity in the smooth muscle cell nuclei isolated from porcine stomach was performed. The ALD activity in the isolated nuclei was detectable only after preincubation of the nuclear fraction with Triton X-100 and high concentration of KCl.
- Adamson ED (1976) Isoenzyme transitions of creatine phosphokinase, aldolase and phosphoglycerate mutase in differentiating mouse cells. J Embryol Exp Morphol 35: 355-367.
- Baron CB, Ozaki S, Watanabe Y, Hirata M, LaBelle EF, Coburn RF (1995) Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate binding to porcine tracheal smooth muscle aldolase. J Biol Chem 270: 20459-20465.
- Dzugaj A (2006) Localization and regulation of muscle fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase, the key enzyme of glyconeogenesis. Adv Enzyme Regul 46: 51-71.
- Gizak A, Rakus D, Dzugaj A (2005) Nuclear localization of fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase in smooth muscle cells. J Mol Histol 36: 243-248.
- Gizak A, Dzugaj A (2003) FBPase is in the nuclei of cardiomyocytes. FEBS Lett 539: 51-55.
- Gizak A, Rakus D, Dzugaj A (2003) Immunohistochemical localization of human fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase in subcellular structures of myocytes. Histol Histopathol 18: 135-142.
- Gizak A, Wrobel E, Moraczewski J, Dzugaj A (2006) Changes in subcellular localization of fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase during differentiation of isolated muscle satellite cells. FEBS Lett 580: 4042-4046.
- Hardin CD, Roberts TM (1995) Compartmentation of glucose and fructose 1,6-bisphosphate metabolism in vascular smooth muscle. Biochemistry 34: 1323-1331.
- Kraft T, Hornemann T, Stolz M, Nier V, Wallimann T (2000) Coupling of creatine kinase to glycolytic enzymes at the sarcomeric I-band of skeletal muscle: a biochemical study in situ. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 21: 691-703.
- Laemmli UK (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680-685.
- Lebherz HG, Rutter WJ (1969) Distribution of fructose diphosphate aldolase variants in biological systems. Biochemistry 8: 109-121.
- Mamczur P, Dzugaj A (2004) Nuclear localization of aldolase A in pig cardiomyocytes. Histol Histopathol 19: 753-758.
- Mamczur P, Rakus D, Gizak A, Dus D, Dzugaj A (2005) The effect of calcium ions on subcellular localization of aldolase-FBPase complex in skeletal muscle. FEBS Lett 579: 1607-1612.
- Misquitta CM, Sing A, Grover AK (1999) Control of sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic-reticulum Ca2+ pump expression in cardiac and smooth muscle. Biochem J 338: 167-173.
- Ovadi J, Srere PA (2000) Macromolecular compartmentation and channeling. Int Rev Cytol 192: 255-280.
- Pagliaro L, Taylor DL (1988) Aldolase exists in both the fluid and solid phases of cytoplasm. J Cell Biol 107: 981-991.
- Penhoet E, Rajkumar T, Rutter WJ (1966) Multiple forms of fructose diphosphate aldolase in mammalian tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 56: 1275-1282.
- Penhoet EE, Kochman M, Rutter WJ (1969a) Isolation of fructose diphosphate aldolases A, B, and C. Biochemistry 8: 4391-4395.
- Penhoet EE, Kochman M, Rutter WJ (1969b) Molecular and catalytic properties of aldolase C. Biochemistry 8: 4396-4402.
- Popanda O, Fox G, Thielmann HW (1998) Modulation of DNA polymerases α, δ and ε by lactate dehydrogenase and 3-phosphoglycerate kinase. Biochim Biophys Acta 1397: 102-117.
- Rakus D, Dzugaj A (2000) Muscle aldolase decreases muscle FBPase sensitivity toward AMP inhibition. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 275: 611-616.
- Rakus D, Mamczur P, Gizak A, Dus D, Dzugaj A (2003a) Colocalization of muscle FBPase and muscle aldolase on both sides of the Z-line. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 311: 294-299.
- Rakus D, Pasek M, Krotkiewski H, Dzugaj A (2003b) Muscle FBPase in a complex with muscle aldolase is insensitive to AMP inhibition. FEBS Lett 547: 11-14.
- Ronai Z, Robinson R, Rutberg S, Lazarus P, Sardana M (1992) Aldolase-DNA interactions in a SEWA cell system. Biochim Biophys Acta 1130: 20-28.
- Ronai Z (1993) Glycolytic enzymes as DNA binding proteins. Int J Biochem 25: 1073-1076.
- Saez DE, Slebe JC (2000) Subcellular localization of aldolase B. J Cell Biochem 78: 62-72.
- Satou W, Tanimoto H, Ukekawa R, Fujii M, Ayusawa D (2004) Amplification of nuclear aldolase A in mouse cell mutants resistant to Hoechst 33342. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 315: 845-849.
- Sirover MA (1997) Role of the glycolytic protein, glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase, in normal cell function and in cell pathology. J Cell Biochem 66: 133-140.
- Srere PA, Ovadi J (1990) Enzyme-enzyme interactions and their metabolic role. FEBS Lett 268: 360-364.
- Sullivan DT, MacIntyre R, Fuda N, Fiori, J, Barrilla J, Ramizel L (2003) Analysis of glycolytic enzyme co-localization in Drosophila flight muscle. J Exp Biol 206: 2031-2038.
- Towbin H, Staehelin T, Gordon J (1979) Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 4350-4354.
- Wang J, Tolan DR, Pagliaro L (1997) Metabolic compartmentation in living cells: structural association of aldolase. Exp Cell Res 237: 445-451.
- Xu KY, Becker LC (1998) Ultrastructural localization of glycolytic enzymes on sarcoplasmic reticulum vesicles. J Histochem Cytochem 46: 419-427.
Publication order reference