Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency presenting with psychomotor retardation in the first Polish patient
Languages of publication
Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) deficiency is a rare defect of the first step of the pyrimidine catabolic pathway. Patients with a complete enzyme deficiency may be clinically asymptomatic or suffer from neurological abnormalities of various severity. We report a case of an 8-year-old girl with psychomotor retardation and mild course of the disease. Analysis of urine showed strongly elevated levels of uracil and thymine, and no DPD activity could be detected in peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Sequence analysis of the DPD gene (DPYD) revealed that our patient was homozygous for the common splice-site mutation IVS14+1G > A, which suggest that the carrier status for this mutation may be not rare in the Polish population.
- Bakkeren JA, De Abreu RA, Gabreëls FJ, Maas JM, Renier WO (1984) Elevated urine, blood and cerebrospinal fluid levels of uracil and thymine in a child with dihydrothymine dehydrogenase deficiency. Clin Chim Acta 140: 247-256.
- Chalmers RA, Lawson AM (1975) Hum metab dis. Chemistry in Britain 11: 290-295.
- Cho HJ, Park YS, Kang WK, Kim JW, Lee SY (2007) Thymidylate synthase (TYMS) and dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPYD) polymorphisms in the Korean population for prediction of 5-fluorouracil-associated toxicity. Ther Drug Monit 29: 190-196.
- Ciccolini J, Mercier C, Evrard A, Dahan L, Boyer JC, Duffaud F, Richard K, Blanquicett C, Milano G, Blesius A, Durand A, Seitz JF, Favre R, Lacarelle B (2006) A rapid and inexpensive method for anticipating severe toxicity to fluorouracil and fluorouracil-based chemotherapy. Ther Drug Monit 28: 678-685.
- Diasio RB, Beavers TL, Carpenter JT (1988) Familial deficiency of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase: biochemical basis for familial pyrimidinemia and severe 5-fluorouracil-induced toxicity. J Clin Invest 81: 47-51.
- Enns GM, Barkovich AJ, Van Kuilenburg ABP, Manning M, Sanger T, Witt DR, van Gennip AH (2004) Head imaging abnormalities in dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency. J Inherit Metab Dis 27: 513-522.
- Hamdy SI, Hiratsuka M, Narahara K, El-Enany M, Moursi N, Ahmed MS, Mizugaki M (2002) Allele and genotype frequencies of polymorphic cytochromes P450 (CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2E1) and dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPYD) in the Egyptian population. Br J Clin Pharmacol 53: 596-603.
- Hsiao HH, Yang MY, Chang JG, Liu YC, Liu TC, Chang CS, Chen TP, Lin SF (2004) Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase pharmacogenetics in the Taiwanese population. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 53: 445-451.
- Magne N, Renee N, Formento JL, Etienne-Grimaldi MC, Francoual M, Milano G (2005) Prospective study of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) activity and DPYD IVS14+1G>A mutation in patients developing FU-related toxicities: An updated analysis based on a ten-year recruitment across multiple French institutions. J Clin Oncol 23: 2003-2004.
- Magne N, Etienne-Grimaldi MC, Cals L, Renee N, Formento JL, Francoual M, Milano G (2007) Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase activity and the IVS14+1G>A mutation in patients developing 5FU-related toxicity. Br J Clin Pharmacol 64: 237-240.
- Mattison LK, Fourie J, Desmond RA, Modak A, Saif MW, Diasio RB (2006) Increased prevalence of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency in African-Americans compared with Caucasians. Clin Cancer Res 12: 5491-5495.
- Ogura K, Ohnuma T, Minamide Y, Mizuno A, Nishiyama T, Nagashima S, Kanamaru M, Hiratsuka A, Watabe T, Uematsu T (2005) Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase activity in 150 healthy Japanese volunteers and identification of novel mutations. Clin Cancer Res 11: 5104-5111.
- Raida M, Schwabe W, Hausler P, Van Kuilenburg ABP, Van Gennip AH, Behnke D, Hoffken K (2001) Prevalence of a common point mutation in the dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) gene within the 5'-splice donor site of intron 14 in patients with severe 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)-related toxicity compared with controls. Clin Cancer Res 7: 2832-2839.
- Salgueiro N, Veiga I, Fragoso M, Sousa O, Costa N, Pellon ML, Sanches E, dos Santos JG, Teixeira MR, Castedo S (2004) Mutations in exon 14 of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase and 5-fluorouracil toxicity in Portuguese colorectal cancer patients. Genet Med 6: 102-107.
- Tuchman M, Stoeckeler JS, Kiang DT, O'Dea RF, Ramnaraine ML, Mirkin BL (1985) Familial pyrimidinemia and pyrimidinuria associated with severe fluorouracil toxicity. New Eng J Med 313: 245-249.
- Uzunkoy A, Dilmec F, Ozgonul A, Van Kuilenburg ABP, Akkafa F (2007) Investigation of IVS14+1G>A polymorphism of DPYD gene in a group of Turkish patients with colorectal cancer. Anticancer Res 27: 3899-3902.
- Van Kuilenburg ABP, Vreken P, Abeling NG, Bakker HD, Meinsma R, Van Lenthe H, De Abreu RA, Smeitink JA, Kayserili H, Apak MY, Christensen E, Holopainen I, Pulkki K, Riva D, Botteon G, Holme E, Tulinius M, Kleijer WJ, Beemer FA, Duran M, Niezen-Koning KE, Smit GP, Jakobs C, Smit LM, Van Gennip AH (1999) Genotype and phenotype in patients with dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency. Hum Genet 104: 1-9.
- Van Kuilenburg ABP, Muller EW, Haasjes J, Meinsma R, Zoetekouw L, Waterham HR, Baas F, Richel DJ, van Gennip AH (2001) Lethal outcome of a patient with a complete dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) deficiency after administration of 5-fluorouracil: frequency of the common IVS14+1G>A mutation causing DPD deficiency. Clin Cancer Res 7: 1149-1153.
- Van Kuilenburg ABP, van Lenthe H, Tromp A, Veltman, PCJ, van Gennip AH (2000) Pitfalls in the diagnosis of patients with a partial dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency. Clin Chem 46: 9-17.
- Van Kuilenburg ABP, Haasjes J, Richel DJ, Zoetekouw L, van Lenthe H, De Abreu RA, Maring JG, Vreken P, van Gennip AH (2000) Clinical implications of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) deficiency in patients with severe 5-fluorouracil-associated toxicity: identification of new mutations in the DPD gene. Clin Cancer Res 6: 4705-4712.
- Van Kuilenburg ABP, Dobritzsch D, Meinsma R, Haasjes J, Waterham HR, Nowaczyk MJ, Maropoulos GD, Hein G, Kalhoff H, Kirk JM, Baaske H, Aukett A, Duley JA, Ward KP, Lindqvist Y, van Gennip AH (2002) Novel disease-causing mutations in the dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase gene interpreted by analysis of the three-dimensional protein structure. Biochem J 364: 157-163.
- Van Lenthe H, Van Kuilenburg ABP, Ito T, Bootsma AH, van Cruchten AG, Wada Y, van Gennip AH (2000) Defects in pyrimidine degradation identified by HPLC-electrospray tandem mass spectrometry of urine specimens or urine-soaked filter paper strips. Clin Chem 46: 1916-1922.
- Vrecken P, Van Kuilenburg ABP, Meinsma R, van Gennip AH (1997) Identification of novel point mutations in the dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase gene. J Inherit Metab Dis 20: 335-338.
- Wei X, Elizondo G, Sapone A, McLeod HL, Raunio H, Fernandez-Salguero P, Gonzalez FJ (1998) Characterization of the human dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase gene. Genomics 51: 391-400.
Publication order reference