Upregulation of GRP78 and caspase-12 in diastolic failing heart
Languages of publication
Background: The endoplasmic reticulum (ER) fulfills multiple cellular functions. Various stimuli can potentially cause ER stress (ERS). ERS is one of the intrinsic apoptosis pathways and apoptosis plays a critical role in hypertension. Glucose regulated protein 78 (GRP78) has been widely used as a marker for ERS and caspase-12 mediated apoptosis was a specific apoptotic pathway of ER. The expression of GRP78 and caspase-12 remains poorly understood in the diastolic heart failure resulting from hypertension. Methods: We used spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRs) to establish a model of diastolic heart failure, and performed immunohistochemistry, western blot, and real-time PCR to analyze GRP78 and caspase-12. Results: We found that GRP78 and caspase-12 had enhanced expression at protein and mRNA levels. Conclusions: These results suggest that GRP78 and caspase-12 were upregulated in cardiomyocytes and ERS can contribute to cardiac myocyte apoptosis in the diastolic heart failure resulting from hypertension.
- Azfer A, Niu J, Rogers LM, Adamski FM, Kolattukudy PE (2006) Activation of endoplasmic reticulum stress response during the development of ischemic heart disease. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291: H1411-H1420.
- Bernales S, Papa FR, Walter P (2006) Intracellular signaling by the unfolded protein response. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22: 487-508.
- Bhimji S, Godin DV, McNeill JH (1986) Myocardial ultrastructural changes in alloxan-induced diabetes in rabbits. Acta Anat (Basel) 125: 195-200.
- Chandrashekhar Y, Narula J (2003) Death hath a thousand doors to let out life. Circ Res 92: 710-714.
- Ferri KF, Kroemer G (2001) Organelle-specific initiation of cell death pathways. Nat Cell Biol 3: E255-E263.
- Hamada H, Suzuki M, Yuasa S, Mimura N, Shinozuka N, Takada Y, Suzuki M, Nishino T, Nakaya H, Koseki H, Aoe T (2004) Dilated cardiomyopathy caused by aberrant endoplasmic reticulum quality control in mutant KDEL receptor transgenic mice. Mol Cell Biol 24: 8007-8017.
- Kaufman RJ (1999) Stress signaling from the lumen of the endoplasmic reticulum: coordination of gene transcriptional and translational controls. Genes Dev 13: 1211-1233.
- Li Z, Zhang T, Dai H, Liu G, Wang H, Sun Y, Zhang Y, Ge Z (2008) Endoplasmic reticulum stress is involved in myocardial apoptosis of streptozocin-induced diabetic rats. J Endocrinol 196: 565-572.
- Nakagawa T, Yuan JY (2000) Cross-talk between two cysteine protease families. Activation of caspase-12 by calpain in apoptosis. J Cell Biol 150: 887-894.
- Nakagawa T, Zhu H, Morishima N, Li E, Xu J, Yankner BA, Yuan J (2000) Caspase-12 mediates endoplasmic-reticulum-specific apoptosis and cytotoxicity by amyloid-β. Nature 403: 98-103.
- Ohse T, Inagi R, Tanaka T, Ota T, Miyata T, Kojima I, Ingelfinger JR, Ogawa S, Fujita T, Nangaku M (2006) Albumin induces endoplasmic reticulum stress and apoptosis in renal proximal tubular cells. Kidney Int 70: 1447-1455.
- Okada K, Minamino T, Tsukamoto Y, Liao Y, Tsukamoto O, Takashima S, Hirata A, Fujita M, Nagamachi Y, Nakatani T, Yutani C, Ozawa K, Ogawa S, Tomoike H, Hori M, Kitakaze M (2004) Prolonged endoplasmic reticulum stress in hypertrophic and failing heart after aortic constriction: possible contribution of endoplasmic reticulum stress to cardiac myocyte apoptosis. Circulation 110: 705-712.
- Oyadomari S, Araki E, Mori M (2002) Endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated apoptosis in pancreatic β-cells. Apoptosis 7: 335-345.
- Patterson C, Cyr D (2002) Welcome to the machine: a cardiologist's introduction to protein folding and degradation. Circulation 106: 2741-2746.
- Pytlowany M, Strosznajder JB, Jeśko H, Cakała M, Strosznajder RP (2008) Molecular mechanism of PC12 cell death evoked by sodium nitroprusside, a nitric oxide donor. Acta Biochim Polon 55: 339-347.
- Rao RV, Peel A, Logvinova A, del Rio G, Hermel E, Yokota T, Goldsmith PC, Ellerby LM, Ellerby HM, Bredesen DE (2002) Coupling endoplasmic reticulum stress to the cell death program: role of the ER chaperone GRP78. FEBS Lett 514: 122-128.
- Ron D (2002) Translational control in the endoplasmic reticulum stress response. J Clin Invest 110: 1383-1388.
- Schröder M, Kaufman RJ (2005) The mammalian unfolded protein response. Annu Rev Biochem 74: 739-789.
- Wencker D, Chandra M, Nguyen K, Miao W, Garantziotis S, Factor SM, Shirani J, Armstrong RC, Kitsis RN (2003) A mechanistic role for cardiac myocyte apoptosis in heart failure. J Clin Invest 111: 1497-1504.
- Xu Ch, Bailly-Maitre B, Reed JC (2005) Endoplasmic reticulum stress: cell life and death decisions. J Clin Invest 115: 2656-2664.
- Yoneda T, Imaizumi K, Oono K, Yui D, Gomi F, Katayama T, Tohyama M (2001) Activation of caspase-12, an endoplastic reticulum (ER) resident caspase, through tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factor 2-dependent mechanism in response to the ERS. J Biol Chem 276: 13935-13940.
Publication order reference