Cloning and partial characterization of a gene in Bombyx mori homologous to a human adiponectin receptor
Languages of publication
In this study, we report the cloning and characteristics of an adiponectin-like receptor gene from Bombyx mori (BmAdipoR) with highly conserved deduced amino-acid sequences and similar structure to the human adiponectin receptor (AdipoR). Structural analysis of the translated cDNA suggested it encoded a membrane protein with seven transmembrane domains. BmAdipoR was found to be expressed in multiple tissues and highly expressed in Malpighian tubules, fat body and testis. BmNPV (Bombyx mori nucleopolyhedrovirus) bacmid system combined with confocal microscopy revealed that BmAdipoR was targeted to the cell membrane. We also found that infection with BmNPV did not have an effect on BmAdipoR mRNA quantity in the midgut of susceptible Bombyx mori strain (306) at 48 h, but BmAdipoR mRNA quantity increased significantly at 72 h. We concluded that BmAdipoR gene was a membrane protein ubiquitously expressed in Bombyx mori tissues and that its expression was altered by treating with BmNPV.
- Berner HS, Lyngstadaas SP, Spahr A, Monjo M, Thommesen L, Drevon CA, Syversen U, Reseland JE (2004) Adiponectin and its receptors are expressed in bone-forming cells. Bone 35: 842-849.
- Chinetti G, Zawadski C, Fruchart JC, Staels B (2004) Expression of adiponectin receptors in human macrophages and regulation by agonists of the nuclear receptors PPARalpha, PPARgamma, and LXR. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 314: 151-158.
- Claros MG, von Heijne G (1994) TopPred II: an improved software for membrane protein structure predictions. Comput Appl Biosci 10: 685-686.
- Dow JA, Davies SA (2006) The Malpighian tubule: rapid insights from post-genomic biology. J Insect Physiol 52: 365-378.
- Gether U (2000) Uncovering molecular mechanisms involved in activation of G protein-coupled receptors. Endocr Rev 21: 90-113.
- Kadowaki T, Yamauchi T, Kubota N (2008) The physiological and pathophysiological role of adiponectin and adiponectin receptors in the peripheral tissues and CNS. FEBS Lett 582: 74-80.
- Kadowaki T, Yamauchi T, Kubota N, Hara K, Ueki K, Tobe K (2006) Adiponectin and adiponectin receptors in insulin resistance, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome. J Clin Invest 116: 1784-1792.
- Karpichev IV, Cornivelli L, Small GM (2002) Multiple regulatory roles of a novel Saccharomyces cerevisiae protein, encoded by YOL002c, in lipid and phosphate metabolism. J Biol Chem 277: 19609-19617.
- Kharroubi I, Rasschaert J, Eizirik DL, Cnop M (2003) Expression of adiponectin receptors in pancreatic beta cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312: 1118-1122.
- Khurad AM, Mahulikar A, Rathod MK, Rai MM, Kanginakudru S, Nagaraju J (2004) Vertical transmission of nucleopolyhedrovirus in the silkworm, Bombyx mori L. J Invertebr Pathol 87: 8-15.
- Kumar S, Tamura K, Nei M (2004) MEGA3: Integrated software for molecular evolutionary genetics analysis and sequence alignment. Brief Bioinform 5: 150-163.
- Rami reddy K, Benchman K, Remadevi O (1992) Metabolic profiles of the haemolymph and fat body the silkworm, Bombyx mori, in response to parasitation by the uzifly Exorista sorbillans (DiptTachnidae), during the final instar. Sericologia 32: 227-233.
- Ruderman NB, Saha AK, Vavvas D, Heydrick SJ, Kurowski TG (1997) Lipid abnormalities in muscle of insulin-resistant rodents. The malonyl CoA hypothesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 827: 221-230.
- Scherer PE, Williams S, Fogliano M, Baldini G, Lodish HF (1995) A novel serum protein similar to C1q, produced exclusively in adipocytes. J Biol Chem 270: 26746-26749.
- Thomas P, Tubbs C, Detweiler C, Das S, Ford L, Breckenridge-Miller D (2005) Binding characteristics, hormonal regulation and identity of the sperm membrane progestin receptor in Atlantic croaker. Steroids 70: 427-433.
- Tomas E, Tsao TS, Saha AK, Murrey HE, Zhang Cc, Itani SI, Lodish HF, Ruderman NB (2002) Enhanced muscle fat oxidation and glucose transport by ACRP30 globular domain: acetyl-CoA carboxylase inhibition and AMP-activated protein kinase activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 16309-16313.
- Tosca L, Froment P, Solnais P, Ferre P, Foufelle F, Dupont J (2005) Adenosine 5'-monophosphate-activated protein kinase regulates progesterone secretion in rat granulosa cells. Endocrinology 146: 4500-4513.
- Tsuchida A, Yamauchi T, Ito Y, Hada Y, Maki T, Takekawa S, Kamon J, Kobayashi M, Suzuki R, Hara K, Kubota N, Terauchi Y, Froguel P, Nakae J, Kasuga M, Accili D, Tobe K, Ueki KR, Nagai R, Kadowaki T (2004) Insulin/Foxo1 pathway regulates expression levels of adiponectin receptors and adiponectin sensitivity. J Biol Chem 279: 30817-30822.
- Wang J, Kean L, Yang J, Allan AK, Davies SA, Herzyk P, Dow JA (2004) Function-informed transcriptome analysis of Drosophila renal tubule. Genome Biol 5: R69.
- Winder WW, Hardie DG (1999) AMP-activated protein kinase, a metabolic master switch: possible roles in type 2 diabetes. Am J Physiol 277: E1-10.
- Xu JP, Chen KP, Yao Q, Liu MH, Gao GT, Zhao Y (2005) Identification and characterization of an NPV infection-related gene Bmsop2 in Bombyx mori L. J Appl Entomol 129: 425-431.
- Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Ito Y, Tsuchida A, Yokomizo T, Kita S, Sugiyama T, Miyagishi M, Hara K, Tsunoda M, Murakami K, Ohteki T, Uchida S, Takekawa S, Waki H, Tsuno NH, Shibata Y, Terauchi Y, Froguel P, Tobe K, Koyasu S, Taira K, Kitamura T, Shimizu T, Nagai R, Kadowaki T (2003) Cloning of adiponectin receptors that mediate antidiabetic metabolic effects. Nature 423: 762-769.
- Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Minokoshi Y, Ito Y, Waki H, Uchida S, Yamashita S, Noda M, Kita S, Ueki K, Eto K, Akanuma Y, Froguel P, Foufelle F, Ferre P, Carling D, Kimura S, Nagai R, Kahn BB, Kadowaki T (2002) Adiponectin stimulates glucose utilization and fatty-acid oxidation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. Nat Med 8: 1288-1295.
Publication order reference