Orientation and spectral properties of two stilbazolium merocyanine dyes in stretched and unstretched polyvinyl alcohol films
Languages of publication
Spectral properties (anisotropy coefficients calculated for absorption, emission and fluorescence decay time) of two stilbazolium merocyanine dyes have been determined to evaluate the applicability of these dyes as sensitizers in photodynamic therapy. The dyes were embedded in an anisotropic polymer matrix. Analysis of the emission decay components measured in polarized light provides information on the interactions of the dye molecules with the polymer matrix being a model of an anisotropic biological system. Different values of the emission anisotropies obtained from various polarized components of fluorescence decays have shown that the orientations of the dye molecules influence their interactions with the polymer. This means that differently oriented dye molecules located in biological systems should exhibit different interactions with membranes. The chain length and type of side groups attached as well as the salt form of the dye molecule were shown to influence the dye-polymer interactions and should be taken into account before the application of merocyanine dyes in medicine. These dyes seem to be promising optical sensors with spectral properties, including the calculated anisotropy coefficients, sensitive to the molecular environment, useful to study orientation and interaction with neighbouring molecules in biological membranes.
- Anderson GS, Miyagi K, Sampson RW, Sieber F (2002) Anti-tumor effect of Merocyanine 540-mediated photochemotherapy combined with Edelfosine: potential implications for the ex vivo purging of hematopoietic stem cell grafts from breast cancer patients. J Photochem Photobiol B 68: 101-108.
- Bernik D, Tymyczyszyn E, Daraio ME, Negri RM (1999) Fluorescent dimers of merocyanine 540 (MC540) in the gel phase of phosphatidylcholine liposomes. Photochem Photobiol 70: 40-48.
- Bojarski P, Gryczynski I, Kulak L, Synak A, Burnett A (2006) Excitation energy migration between elongated fluorophores in uniaxially oriented polyvinyl alcohol films. Chem Phys Lett 431: 94-99.
- Bucci E, Gryczynski Z, Fronticelli C, Gryczynski I, Lakowicz JR (1992) Fluorescence intensity and anisotropy decays of the intrinsic tryptophan emission of hemoglobin measured with a 10-GHz fluorometer using front-face geometry on a free liquid surface. J Fluorescence 2: 29-35.
- Dalmolen LGP, Picken SJ, de Jong AF, de Jeu WH (1985) The order parameters P_2 and P_4 in nematic p-alkyl-p'-cyanobiphenyls: polarized Raman measurements and the influence of molecular association. J Phys 46: 1443-1449.
- Frackowiak D, Gruda I, Niedbalska M, Romanowski M, Dudkowiak A (1990) Polarized absorption and emission spectra of stilbazolium merocyanines. J Photochem Photobiol A:Chem 54: 37-48.
- Frackowiak D, Wiktorowicz K, Cofta J, Niedbalska M, Latosinska M (1995) Incorporation of stilbazolium merocyanines into resting and stimulated mononuclear leukocytes. Acta Biochim Polon 42: 61-68.
- Frackowiak D, Ptak A, Gryczynski Z, Gryczynski I, Targowski P, Zelent B (2004) Fluorescence polarization studies of B-phycoerythrin oriented in polymer film. Photochem Photobiol 79: 11-20.
- Gaffney DK, Schober SL, Sieber F (1990) Merocyanine 540-sensitized photoinactivation of leukemia cells: role of oxygen and effects on plasma membrane integrity and mitochondrial respiration. Exp Hematol 18: 23-26.
- Gruda I, Page M, Bolduc F, Lariberte St, Noel Ch (1987) Merocyanines: potential new anticancer agents. Anticancer Res 7: 1125-1128.
- Gryczynski Z, Fronticelli C, Tenenholz T, Bucci E (1993) Effect of disordered hemes on energy transfer rates between tryptophans and heme in myoglobin. Biophys J 65: 1951-1958.
- Kalyanaraman B, Feix JB, Sieber F, Thomas JP, Girotti AW (1987) Photodynamic action of merocyanine 540 on artificial and natural cell membranes: involvement of singlet molecular oxygen. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84: 2999-3003.
- Lakowicz JR (1999) Principles of fluorescence spectroscopy. 2 edn, Kluwer Academic, Plenum Publishers, New York, Boston, Dordrecht, London, Moscow.
- Lakowicz JR, Gryczynski I (1991) Frequency domain fluorescence spectroscopy. In Topics in Fluorescence Spectroscopy (Lakowicz JR, eds) vol 1, pp 394-335. Plenum Press, New York.
- Lydaki E, Dimitriou H, Papazoglou Th, Bolonaki E, Kalmanti M (1996) Merocyanine 540 mediated photoirradiation of leukemic cells. In vitro influence on cell survival. J Photochem Photobiol B 32: 27-32.
- Mishra A, Behera RK, Behera PK, Mishra BK, Behera GB (2000) Cyanines during the 1990s: A review. Chem Rev 100: 1973-2011.
- O'Brien MJ, Gaffney DK, Wang TP, Seibel F (1992) Merocyanine 540 sensitized photoinactivation of envelope viruses in blood products: site and mechanism of phototoxicity. Blood 80: 277-285.
- Smith OM, Gaffney DK, Anderson MS, McOlash L, Schober SL, Sieber F (1991) Plasma membrane properties regulating the sensitivity of leukemia, lymphoma and solid tumor cells to merocyanine 540 sensitized photoirradiation. Exp Hematol 19: 785-788.
- Staskowiak E, Dudkowiak A, Hanyz I, Wiktorowicz K, Frackowiak D (2004) Spectral properties of stilbazolium merocyanines - potential sensitizers in photodynamic therapy and diagnosis. Part I. Merocyanines in model systems. J Photochem Photobiol A:Chem 163: 127-134.
- Staskowiak E, Dudkowiak A, Wiktorowicz K, Cofta J, Frackowiak D (2005) Spectral properties of stilbazolium merocyanines - potential sensitizers in photodynamic therapy and diagnosis. Part II. Merocyanines in resting and stimulated lymphocytes. J Photochem Photobiol A:Chem 169: 159-168.
- Stillwell W, Wassall SR, Dumaval AC, Ehringen DW, Browning CW, Jenski LJ (1993) Use of merocyanine (MC540) in quantifying lipid domains and packing in phospholipid vesicles and tumor cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 1146: 136-144.
- Wiktorowicz K, Niedbalska M, Planner A, Frackowiak D (1995) Incorporation of stilbazolium merocyanines into human leukocytes measured by flow cytometry. Acta Biochim Polon 42: 333-338.
- Wiktorowicz K, Cofta J, Dudkowiak A, Waszkowiak A, Frackowiak D (2004) Preliminary studies of phthalocyanine sensitizers incorporated into human leukemia cells from two cell-lines. Acta Biochim Polon 51: 703-710.
Publication order reference