Effect of daidzein, a soy isoflavone, on bone metabolism in Cd-treated ovariectomized rats
Languages of publication
This study compared the ability of daidzein, a soy isoflavone, with that of 17β-estradiol to prevent bone loss in cadmium (Cd)-exposed ovariectomized (OVX) rats during growth. Four week-old female Wistar rats were randomly assigned to five treatment groups of 9 rats each, either (1) sham-operated (SH); (2) OVX and placed on experimental diets (OVX); (3) OVX fed 50 ppm of CdCl2 (OVX-Cd); (4) OVX fed 50 ppm of CdCl2 and 10 µg of daidzein per kg of body mass (OVX-CD-D); or (5) OVX fed 50 ppm of CdCl2 and 10 µg of estrogen per kg of body mass (OVX-CD-E). All rats were given free access to AIN-76 modified diet and drinking water, with or without Cd, for 8 weeks. The OVX groups gained more (P < 0.05) body mass than the SH group. Femoral mass was increased by feeding daidzein and estradiol, whereas femoral length was not (P > 0.05) significantly different among groups. Femoral breaking force was not significantly different among groups, however, femoral BMD was significantly lower in OVX-Cd than in the SH and OVX groups. Morphologically proliferative cartilage and hypertrophic cells in femur showed normal distribution in OVX-Cd-D and OVX-Cd-E groups unlike those in OVX-Cd group. These findings suggest that Cd-OVX-induced osteopenia or osteoporosis probably results from an increase in bone turnover.
- Aldercreutz CH, Goldin BR, Gorbach SL, Hockerstedt KA, Watanabe S, Hamalainen EK, Markkanen MH, Makela TH, Wahala KT, Adlercreutz T (1995) Soybean phytoestrogen intake and cancer risk. J Nutr 125: 757S-770S.
- Avioli LV, McDonald JE, Lee SW (1965) The influence of age on the intestinal absorption of ^47Ca in postmenpausal osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 44: 1960-1967.
- Bhattacharyya MH, Whelton BD, Stern PH, Peterson DP (1988) Cadmium accelerates bone loss in ovariectomized mice and fetal rat limb bones in culture. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 8761-8765.
- de Kleijn MJJ, van der Schouw YT, Wilson PWF, Adlercreutz H, Mazur W, Grobbee DE, Jacques PF (2001) Intake of dietary phytoestrogens is low in postmenopausal women in the United States: the Framinghan study 1-4. J Nutr 131: 1826-1832.
- Eldridge AC (1982) Determination of isoflavones in soybean flours, protein concentrates and isolates. J Agri Food Chem 30: 353-355.
- Ezawa I, Ogata E (1979) Ca^2+-induced activation of succinate dehydrogenase and the regulation of mitochondrial oxidative reations. J Biochem (Tokyo) 85: 65-74.
- Feldman SL (1977) Induced of Cd on the metabolism of 25-hydrocholescalciferol in chicks. Nutr Rep Int 8: 251.
- Freiberg TA, Piscator M, Nordburg GF, Kjellstrom T (1984) Health effects of cadmium in the general environment in Japn. In Cadmium in the environment (Freiberg L, ed) pp 137-195. CRC Press, Boca Ranton, FL.
- Freiberg TA, Elinder CG, Kgellstrom T, Nordberg GF (1986) Itai-itai disease. In Cadmium and health (Freberg L, ed) pp 257-290. CRC Press, Boca Ranton, FL.
- Gaumet N, Seibel MJ, Coxam V, Davicco MJ, Lebecque P, Barlet JP (1997) Influence of ovariectomy and estradiol treatment on calcium homeostasis during aging in rats. Arch Physiol Biochem 105: 435-444.
- Grigoriadis AE, Heersche JN, Aubin JE (1988) Differentiation of muscle, fat, cartilage, and bone from progenitor cells present in a bone-derived clonal cell population: effect of dexamethasone. J Cell Biol 106: 2139-2151.
- Hallworth RB (1998) Prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Pharm World Sci 20: 198-205.
- Hamilton DL, Smith MW (1977) Cadmium inhibits calcium absorption by rat intestine. J Physiol 265: 54P-55P.
- Ho SC, Bacon WE, Harris T, Looker A, Maggi S (1993) Hip fracture rates in Hong Kong and the United States, 1988 through 1989. Am J Public Health 83: 694-697.
- Ishimi Y, Miyaura C, Ohmura M, Onoe Y, Sato T, Uchiyama Y, Ito M, Wang X, Suda T, Ikegami S (1999) Selective effects of genistein, a soybean isoflavone, on B-lymphopoiesis and bone loss caused by estrogen deficiency. Endocrinology 140: 1893-1900.
- Itokawa Y, Nishino K, Takashima M, Nakata T, Kaito H, Okamoto E, Daijo K, Kawamura J (1978) Renal and skeletal lesions in experimental cadmium poisoning in rats. Histology and renal function. Environ Res 15: 206-217.
- Iwami K, Moriyama T (1993) Comparative effect of cadmium on osteoblastic cells and osteoclastic cells. Arch Toxicol 67: 352-357.
- Jarup L, Alfven T, Person B, Toss G, Elinder CG (1998) Cadmium may be a risk factor for osteoporosis. Occup Environ Med 55: 435-439.
- Jia TL, Wang HZ, Xie LP, Wang KY, Zan RQ (2003) Daidzein enhances osteoblast growth that may be mediated by increased bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) production. Biochem Pharmacol 65: 709-715.
- Junqueira LC, Carneiro J, Kelley RO (1989) Basic histology, 6th ed, pp 136-159, Appleton and Lange, New York.
- Kalu DN (1991) The ovariectomized rat model of postmenpausal bone loss. Bone Miner 15: 175-191.
- Kjellstrom T, Norberg GF, Herber RF, Alessio L (1992) Cadmium. In the Human Environment: Toxicity and carcinogenicity, International Agency for Research on Cancer. pp 301-310.
- Kim Y, Om AS (2001) Soy isoflavones in ovariectomized growing rats as bone disease prevention. In International Symposium on Food, Nutrition, and Health for 21the Century, Seoul, Korea. The Kor Soc of Food Sci Nutr SIII-21: 120-125.
- Kurzer MS, Ku X (1999) Dietary phytoestrogens. Annu Rev Nutr 17: 353-381.
- Naim M, Gestener B, Zikah S, Bir Y, Bondi A (1974) Soyben isoflavones, characterization, determination and antifungal activity. J Agric Food Chem 22: 806-810.
- Nogowski L, Mackowiak P, Nowak KW (1993) Effect of a mycoestrogen, zearalenone, and a phytooestogen, coumestrol on the liver membrane insulin receptor of ovariectomized rats. Acta Biochim Polon 40: 147-150.
- Om AS, Chung KW, Chung HS (2002) Effect of cadmium accumulation on renal tissues in broilers. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 68: 297-301.
- Omi M, Morikawa M, Ezawa I (1994) The effect of voluntary exercise on bone mineral density and skeleton muscles in the rat model at ovariectomized and sham stages. Bone Miner 24: 211-222.
- Paik MK, Lee HO, Chung HS, Yang SO, Kim JH, Om AS (2003) Genistein may prevent cadmium-induced bone loss in ovariectomized rats. J Med Food 6: 337-343.
- Picherit C, Coxam V, Bennetau-Pelissero C, Kati-Coulibaly S, Davicco MJ, Lebecque P, Barlet JP (2000) Daidzein is more efficient than genistein in preventing ovariectomy-induced bone loss in rats. J Nutr 130: 1675-1681.
- Riggs BL, Melton LJ (1986) Involutional osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 314: 1676-1684.
- Sugimoto E, Yamaguchi M (2000) Stimulatory effect of daidzein in osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells. Biochem Pharmacol 59: 471-475.
- Waalkes MP, Anver MR, Diwan BA (1999) Chronic toxic and carcinogenic effects of oral cadmium in the Noble (NBL/Cr) rat: induction of neoplastic and proliferative lesions of the adrenal, kidney, prostate, and testes. J Toxicol Environ Health A 58: 199-214.
- Wang C, Bhattacharyya MH (1993) Effect of cadmium on bone calcium and ^45Ca in nonpregnant mice on a calcium-deficient diet: evidence of direct effect of cadmium on bone. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 120: 228-239.
- Wilson AK, Bhattacharyya MH (1997) Effects of cadmium on bone: an in vivo model for early response. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 145: 68-73.
- Wronski TJ, Lowry PL, Walsh CC, Ignaszawski LA (1985) Skeletal alternations in ovariectomized rats. Calcif Tissue Int 37: 324-328.
- Yeager H Jr, Massaro G, Massaro D (1971) Glycoprotein synthesis by the trachea. Am rev Respir Dis 103: 188-97.
- Zinterhofer LJ, Jatlow PI, Fappiano A (1971) Atomic absorption determination of lead in blood and urine in the presence EDTA. J Lab Clin Med 78: 664-674.
Publication order reference