Plasma membrane homing of tissue nonspecific alkaline phosphatase under the influence of 3-hydrogenkwadaphnin, an antiproliferative agent from Dendrostellera lessertii
Languages of publication
Several mammalian enzymes are anchored to the outer surface of the plasma membrane by a covalently attached glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) structure. These include acetylcholinesterase, alkaline phosphatase (AP) and 5'-nucleotidase among other enzymes. Recently, it has been reported that these membrane enzymes can be released into the serum by the GPI-dependent phospholipase D under various medical disturbances such as cancer and/or by chemical and physical manipulation of the biological systems. Treatment of MCF-7 cells with two consecutive effective concentrations of 3-hydrogenkwadaphnin (3-HK, 3 nM) for 48 h enhanced membrane AP activity by almost 330% along with a 40% reduction in the AP activity of the cell culture medium. In addition, our data indicate that 3-HK is capable of inducing mainly the tissue-nonspecific alkaline phosphatase (TNAP) isoenzyme, along with enhancing its thermostability. These findings, besides establishing a correlation between the antiproliferative activity of 3-HK and the extent of plasma membrane AP activity, might assist in the development of new diagnostic tools for following cancer medical treatments.
- Buzzard JJ, Wreford NG, Morrison JR (2003) Thyroid hormone, retinoic acid, and testosterone suppress proliferation and induce markers of differentiation in cultured rat sertoil cells. Endocrinology 144: 3722-3731.
- Bortolato M, Besson F, Roux B (2002) An infrared study of the thermal and pH stabilities of the GPI-alkaline phosphatase from bovine intestine. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 292: 874-879.
- Calhau C, Martel F, Hipolito-Reis C, Azevedo I (2000) Effect of P-glycoprotein modulators on alkaline phosphatase activity in cultured rat hepatocytes. Cell Physiol Biochem 10: 195-202.
- Chan JRA, Stinsor RA (1986) Dephosphorylation of phosphoproteins of human liver plasma membrane by endogenous and purified liver alkaline phosphatase. J Biol Chem 261: 7635-7639.
- Chang TC, Wang JK, Hung MW, Chiao CH, Tsai LC, Chang GG (1994) Regulation of the expression of alkaline phosphatase in a human breast cancer cell line. Biochem J 303: 199-205.
- Eckerstall PP, Nash AS (1983) Isoenzymes of canine plasma alkaline phosphatase: An investigation using isoelectric focusing and related to diagnosis. Res Vet Sci 34: 310-314.
- Fergusson MAJ (1999) The structure biosynthesis and functions of glycosylphosphatidyl-inositol anchors and the contributions of trypanosome research. J Cell Sci 112: 2799-2809.
- Gorman A, McCarthy J, Finucane D, Reville W, Gotter T (1996) Morphologica assessment of apoptosis. In Techniques in Apoptosis. A user's Guide (Gotter TG, Martin ST, eds) pp 6-7, Protland Press Ltd, London.
- Hoylaerts MF, Manes T, Millan JL (1992) Molecular mechanism of uncompetitive inhibition of human placental and germ-cell alkaline phosphatase. Biochem J 286: 23-30.
- Koyama I, Sakagishi Y, Komoda T (1986) Different lectin affinities in rat alkaline phosphatase isozymes: multiple forms of the iso-zyme isolated by heterogeneities of sugar moieties. J Chromatogr 374: 51-59.
- Lorenzo DD, Albertini A, Zava D (1991) Progesterone regulation of alkaline phosphatase in the human breast cancer cell line T47D. Cancer Res 51: 4470-4475.
- Low MG (1989) The glycosyl-phosphatidylinositol anchor of membrane proteins. Biochem Biophys Acta 988: 427-454.
- Mianabadi M, Yazdanparast R (2004) The effect of Gnidilatimonoein from Daphne mucronata, on the adhesive property of human platelets. Iranian Biomed J 8: 143-147.
- Ng KW, Manji SS, Young MF, Findlay DM (1989) Opposing influences of glucocorticoid and retinoic acid on transcriptional control in preosteoblasts. Mol Endocrinol 3: 2079-2085.
- Nowrouzi A, Yazdanparast R (2005) Alkaline phosphatase retained in HepG2 hepatocarcinoma cells vs. alkaline phosphatase released to culture medium: Difference of aberrant glycosylation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 330: 400-409.
- Sadeghi H, Yazdanparast R (2003) Effect of Dendrostellera lessertii on the intracellular alkaline phosphatase activity of four human cancer cell lines. J Ethnopharm 86: 11-14.
- Sadeghi H, Yazdanparast R (2005) Isolation and structure elucidation of a new potent antineoplastic diterpene from Dendrostellera lessertii. Am J Chin Med 33: 831-837.
- Sambrook J, Russel D (2001) Molecular Cloning, A Laboratory Handbook, 3rd edn, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York.
- Scheibe RJ, Moeller-Runge I, Muller WH (1991) Retinoic acid induces the expression of alkaline phosphatase in P19 teratocarcinoma cells. J Biol Chem 266: 21300-21305.
- Telfer JF, Green CD (1993) Placental alkaline phosphatase activity is inversely related to cell growth rate in HeLa S3 cervical cancer cells. FEBS Lett 329: 238-244.
- Tsai LC, Hung MW, Chen VHSu, Chang GG, Ghang TC (2000) Expression and regulation of alkaline phosphatase in human breast cancer MCF-7 cells. Eur J Biochem 267: 1330-1339.
- Wong YW, Low MG (1992) Phospholipase resistance of the glycosylphosphatidylinositol membrane anchor on human alkaline phosphatase. Clin Chem 38: 2517-2525.
- Yazdanparast R, Sadeghi H (2003) Antineoplastic effects of Daphne mucronata: Inhibition of DNA and RNA synthesis. Acta Med Iranica 41: 202-206.
- Yazdanparast R, Mianabadi M, Abdolmohammadi MH (2003) Anti-tumor activity of Dendrostellera lessertii and the inhibitory effect of one of its purified diterepene ester on wehi-164 cell adhesion. Nat Prod Sci 9: 2.
- Yazdanparast R, Sadeghi H (2004) Nucleic acid synthesis in cancerous cells under the effect of gnidilatimonoein from Daphne mucronata. Life Sci 74: 1869-1876.
- Yoshida M, Feng W, Saijo N, Ikekawa T (1996) Antitumor activity of daphnane-type diterepene gnidimacrin isolated from Stellera chamaejasme. Int J Cancer 66: 268-273.
Publication order reference