New bradykinin analogues acylated on the N-terminus: effect on rat uterus and blood pressure
Languages of publication
Our previous studies suggested that acylation of the N-terminus of several known B2 antagonists with various kinds of bulky acyl groups consistently improved their antagonistic potency in rat blood pressure assay. On the other hand, our earlier observations also seemed to suggest that the effects of acylation on the contractility of isolated rat uterus depended substantially on the chemical character of the acyl group, as we observed that this modification might either change the range of antagonism or even transform it into agonism. Bearing all this in mind, we decided to synthesize seven new analogues of bradykinin by N-terminal acylation with various acyl groups of a moderately potent B2 antagonist, previously synthesized by Stewart's group, D-Arg-Arg-Pro-Hyp-Gly-Thr-Ser-D-Phe-Thi-Arg. The analogues were tested in vitro for their blood pressure-lowering and uterotonic activities. The modifications either preserved or increased the antagonistic potency in the rat blood pressure test. On the other hand, all seven substituents negatively influenced the interaction with the rat uterine receptors. Our results may be helpful for designing new B2 agonists and antagonists.
- Bhoola KD, Figueroa CD, Worthy K (1992) Bioregulation of kinins: kallikreins, kininogens and related kininases. Pharmacol Rev 44: 1-78.
- Burch RM, Kyle DJ (1992) Minireview: Recent developments in the understanding of bradykinin receptors. Life Sci 50: 829-838.
- Chau TT, Levin AC, Walter TL, Carlson RP, Weichmann BM (1991) Evidence for a role of bradykinin in experimental pain models. Agents Actions 34: 235-238.
- Dray A, Perkins M (1993) Bradykinin and inflammatory pain. Trends Neurosci 16: 99-104.
- Hock FJ, Wirth K, Albas U, Linz W, Gerhards HJ, Wiemer G, Henke St, Breipohl G, Konig W, Knolle J, Scholkens BA (1991) A new potent and long acting bradykinin antagonists. Br J Pharmacol 102: 769-773.
- Holton P (1948) A modification of the method of Dale and Laidlaw for standardization of posterior pituitary extract. Br J Pharmacol 3: 328-334.
- Lammek B (1994) Design and Synthesis of B2-antagonists of bradykinin. Pol J Chem 68: 913-920.
- Lammek B, Wang YX, Gavras J, Gavras H (1990) A new highly potent antagonist of bradykinin. Peptides 11: 1041-1043.
- Lammek B, Wang YX, Gavras J, Gavras H (1991) A novel bradykinin antagonist with improved properties. J Pharm Pharmacol 43: 887-888.
- Marceau F, Lussier A, Regoli D, Giroud JP (1983) Pharmacology of kinins: their relevance to tissue injury and inflammation. Gen Pharmacol 14: 209-229.
- Munsick RA (1960) Effect of magnesium ion on the response of the rat uterus to neurohypophysial hormones and analogues. Endocrinology 6: 451-457.
- Prahl A, Wierzba T, Winklewski P, Musial P, Juzwa W, Lammek B (1997a) Antagonists of bradykinin modified with conformationally restricted dipeptide fragment. Pol J Chem 71: 929-935.
- Prahl A, Wierzba T, Wszedybyl M, Juzwa W, Lammek B (1997b) Design and synthesis of new bradykinin antagonists with N-terminal acylation. Pol J Chem 71: 915-922.
- Proud D, Kaplan AP (1988) Kinin formation: mechanisms and role in inflammatory disorders. Annu Rev Immunol 6: 49-84.
- Regoll D, Barabe J (1980) Pharmacology of bradykinin and related kinins. Pharmacol Rev 32: 1-46.
- Schachter LR, Uchida Y, Londridge DJ, Labedz T, Whalley ET, Vavrek RJ, Stewart JM (1987) New synthetic antagonists of bradykinin. Br J Pharmacol 92: 851-855.
- Stewart J (1993) The kinin system in inflammation. Agents Actions 42S: 145-149.
- Stewart JM, Vavrek RJ (1991) The pharmacology of bradykinin receptors. In Bradykinin Antagonists. Basic and Clinical Research (Burch RM, ed) pp 51-96. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York-Basel-Hong Kong.
- Stewart J, Gera L, Hanson W, Juzack J, Burkard M, Mc Cullough R, Whalley ET (1996) A new generation bradykinin antagonists. Immunopharmacology 33: 51-60.
- Trzeciak HI, Kozik W, Melhem S, Kania A, Dobrowolski D, Prahl A, Derdowska I, Lammek B (2000) New bradykinin analogs in contraction of rat uterus. Peptides 21: 829-834.
- Vavrek RJ, Stewart JM (1985) Competitive antagonists of bradykinin. Peptides 6: 161-166.
- Wang SS (1973) p-Alkoxybenzyl alcohol resin and p-alkoxybenzyloxycarbonyl hydrazide resin for solid phase synthesis of protected peptide fragments. J Am Chem Soc 95: 1328.
Publication order reference