In vitro co-stimulation of anti-tumor activity by soluble B7 molecules
Languages of publication
In order to investigate the anti-tumor activity of a soluble B7-1/immunoglobulin G fusion protein and explore an effective method to eliminate immune escape of tumor cells, a recombinant vector encoding this fusion protein was constructed and constitutively expressed in Chinese hamster ovary cells. After purification with protein G affinity chromatography, the soluble fusion protein was tested for bioactivity. Results showed that the fusion protein could significantly increase the density of B7-1 molecules on WEHI-3 cells, a mouse leukemia cell line. Through allogeneic mixed lymphocyte tumor cultures, it was demonstrated that, with the presence of the first signal, it could also significantly enhance T cell activation and killing activity against WEHI-3 cells and interleukin-2 secretion by activated mouse T lymphocytes. The conclusion can be drawn that the soluble B7-IgG fusion protein has a potent capacity to generate or enhance anti-tumor immune response in vitro, and its clinical value deserves further investigation.
- Bluestone JA (1997) Is CTLA-4 a master switch for peripheral T cell tolerance? J Immunol 158: 1989-1993.
- Cai SB, Ma QJ, Yu XJ, Dang GT, Ma DL (2002) Expression of human VEGF121> cDNA in mouse bone marrow stroma cells. Chin Med J 115: 914-918.
- Dalimi A, Hadighi R, Madani R (2004) Partially purified fraction (PPF) antigen from adult Fasciola gigantica for the serodiagnosis of human fascioliasis using Dot-ELISA technique. Ann Saudi Med 24: 18-20.
- Konjevic G, Jurisic V, Banicevic B, Spuzic I (1999) The difference in NK-cell activity between patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphomas and Hodgkin's disease. Br J Haematol 104: 144-151.
- Liu A, Hu P, Khawli LA, Epstein AL (2005) Combination B7-Fc fusion protein treatment and Treg cell depletion therapy. Clin Cancer Res 11: 8492-8502.
- Matsumoto K, Anasetti C (1999) The role of T cell costimulation by CD80 in the initiation and maintenance of the immune response to human leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma 35: 427-435.
- Matulonis U, Dosiou C, Freeman G, Lamont C, Mauch P, Nadler LM, Griffin JD (1996) B7-1 is superior to B7-2 costimulation in the induction and maintenance of T cell-mediated antileukemia immunity. Further evidence that B7-1 and B7-2 are functionally distinct. J Immunol 156: 1126-1131.
- Moro M, Gasparri AM, Pagano S, Bellone M, Tornaghi P, Veglia F, Corti A, Casorati G, Dellabona P (1999) Induction of therapeutic T-cell immunity by tumor targeting with soluble recombinant B7-immunoglobulin costimulatory molecules. Cancer Res 59: 2650-2656.
- Mutis T, Schrama E, Melief CJ, Goulmy El (1998) CD80-transfected acute myeloid leukemia cells induce primary allogeneic T-cell responses directed at patient specific minor histocompatibility antigens and leukemia-associated antigens. Blood 92: 1677-1684.
- Notter M, Ludwig WD, Bremer S, Thiel E (1993) Selective targeting of human lymphokine-activated killer cells by CD3 monoclonal antibody against the interferon-inducible high affinity Fc gamma RI receptor (CD64) on autologous acute myeloid leukemic blast cells. Blood 82: 3113-3124.
- Oh S, Hodge JW, Ahlers JD, Burke DS, Schlom J, Berzofsky JA (2003) Selective induction of high avidity CTL by altering the balance of signals from antigen presenting cells. J Immunol 170: 2523-2530.
- Olweus J, Lund-Johansen F, Terstappen LW (1995) CD64/Fc gamma RI is a granulo-monocytic lineage marker on CD34+hematopoietic progenitor cells. Blood 85: 2402-2413.
- Runyon K, Lee K, Zuberek K, Collins M, Leonard JP, Dunussi-Joannopoulos K (2001) The combination of chemotherapy and systemic immunotherapy with soluble B7-immunoglobulin G leads to cure of murine leukemia and lymphoma and demonstration of tumor-specific memory responses. Blood 97: 2420-2426.
- Stein H, Herbst H, Anagnostopoulos I, Niedobitek G, Dallenbach F, Kratzsch HC (1991) The nature of Hodgkin and Reed-Sternberg cells, their association with EBV, and their relationship to anaplastic large-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2 (Suppl 2): 33-38.
- Whiteway A, Corbett T, Anderson R, Macdonald I, Prentice HG (2003) Expression of co-stimulatory molecules on acute myeloid leukemia blasts may effect duration of first remission. Br J Haematol 120: 442-451.
- Zheng G, Chen A, Sterner RE, Zhang PJ, Pan T, Kiyatkin N, Tykocinski ML (2001) Induction of antitumor immunity via intratumoral tetra-costimulator protein transfer. Cancer Res 61: 8127-8134.
- Zhou ZF, Peretz Y, Chang Y, Miao DS, Li XY, Prud'homme GJ (2003) Intramuscular gene transfer of soluble B7.1/IgG(1) fusion cDNA induces potent antitumor immunity as an adjuvant for DNA vaccination. Cancer Gene Ther 10: 491-499.
Publication order reference