Synthesis, antimicrobial activity and structural studies of low molecular mass lysine dendrimers
Languages of publication
Four low molecular mass lysine dendrimers were synthesized by Boc chemistry in solution (155 and 169) and Fmoc chemistry on solid support (P2 and P13). The structure and fragmentation mode of the above dendrimers was investigated in gas phase by the LSI-MS and ESI-MS techniques. 1H and 13C NMR analysis in solution (d6-DMSO) allowed to confirm the correct structure. Antimicrobial activities of the dendrimers against Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Candida albicans confirmed our hypothesis that the dendrimer structure can be used for construction of molecules interacting with biological membranes.
- Boas U, Heegaard PMH (2004) Dendrimers in drug research. Chem Soc Rev 33: 43-63.
- Cloninger MJ (2002) Biological applications of dendrimers. Curr Opin Chem Biol 6: 742-748.
- Driffield M, Goodall DM, Smith DK (2003) Syntheses of dendritic branches based on l-lysine: is the stereochemistry preserved throughout the synthesis? Org Biomol Chem 1: 2612-2620.
- Frechet JM, Tomalia DA (2002) Dendrimers and other dendritic polymers. Wiley Series in Polymer Science.
- Ganz T (2003) Defensins: antimicrobial peptides of innate immunity. Nat Rev Immunol 3: 710-720.
- Janiszewska J, Swieton J, Lipkowski AW, Urbanczyk-Lipkowska Z (2003) Low molecular mass peptide dendrimers that express antimicrobial properties. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 13: 3711-3713.
- Kupper TS, Fuhlbrigge RC (2004) Immune surveillance in the skin: mechanisms and clinical consequences. Nat Rev Immunol 4: 211-222.
- Lequin O, Bruston F, Convert O, Chassaing G, Nicolas P (2003) Helical structure of dermaseptin B2 in a membrane-mimetic environment. Biochemistry 42: 10311-10323.
- Papo N, Shai Y (2003) Exploring peptide membrane interaction using surface plasmon resonance: differentiation between pore formation versus membrane disruption by lytic peptides. Biochemistry 42: 458-466.
- Powers JPS, Hancock RE (2003) The relations between peptide structure and antibacterial activity. Peptides 24: 1681-1691.
- Reddy KVR, Yedery RD, Aranha C (2004) Antimicrobial peptides: premises and promises. Int J Antimicrob Agents 24: 536-547.
Publication order reference