Molecular cloning and functional expression of human cytosolic acetyl-CoA hydrolase
Languages of publication
A cDNA encoding human cytosolic acetyl-CoA hydrolase (CACH) was isolated from a human liver cDNA library, sequenced and functionally expressed in insect cells. The human CACH cDNA encodes a 555-amino-acid sequence that is 81.4%/78.7% identical to those of the mouse/rat homologue, suggesting a conserved role for this enzyme in the human and rodent livers. Bioinformatical study further reveals a high degree of similarity among the human and rodent CACHs as follows: First, the gene is composed of 15 exons ranging in size from 56 to 157 bp. Second, the protein consists of two thioesterase regions and a C-terminal steroidogenic acute regulatory protein-related lipid transfer (START) domain. Third, the promoter region is GC-rich and contains GC boxes, but lacks both TATA and CCAAT boxes, the typical criteria of housekeeping genes. A consensus peroxisome proliferator responsive element (PPRE) present in the rodent CACH promoter regions supports marked CACH induction in rat liver by peroxisome proliferator (PP).
- Azmi S, Sun H, Ozog A, Taneja R (2003) mSharp-1/DEC2, a basic helix-loop-helix protein functions as a transcriptional repressor of E box activity and Stra13 expression. J Biol Chem 278: 20098-20109.
- Benning MM, Wesenberg G, Liu R, Taylor KL, Dunaway-Mariano D, Holden HM (1998) The three-dimensional structure of 4-hydroxybenzoyl-CoA thioesterase from Pseudomonas sp. strain CBS-3. J Biol Chem 273: 33572-33579.
- Berge RK, Aarsland A, Bakke OM, Farstad M (1983) Hepatic enzymes, CoASH and long-chain acyl-CoA in subcellular fractions as affected by drugs inducing peroxisomes and smooth endoplasmic reticulum. Int J Biochem 15: 191-204.
- Breathnach R, Chambon P (1981) Organization and expression of eucaryotic split genes coding for proteins. Annu Rev Biochem 50: 349-383.
- Breathnach R, Benoist C, O'Hare K, Gannon F, Chambon P (1978) Ovalbumin gene: evidence for a leader sequence in mRNA and DNA sequences at the exon-intron boundaries. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 75: 4853-4857.
- Broustas CG, Larkins LK, Uhler MD, Hajra AK (1996) Molecular cloning and expression of cDNA encoding rat brain cytosolic acyl-coenzyme A thioester hydrolase. J Biol Chem 271: 10470-10476.
- Burke TW, Kadonaga JT (1997) The downstream core promoter element, DPE, is conserved from Drosophila to humans and is recognized by TAFII60 of Drosophila. Genes Dev 11: 3020-3031.
- Cawley SE, Wirth AI, Speed TP (2001) Phat-a gene finding program for Plasmodium falciparum. Mol Biochem Parasitol 118: 167-174.
- Dillon SC, Bateman A (2004) The Hotdog fold: wrapping up a superfamily of thioesterases and dehydratases. BMC Bioinformatics 5: 109-122.
- Doetzlhofer A, Rotheneder H, Lagger G, Koranda M, Kurtev V, Brosch G, Wintersberger E, Seiser C (1999) Histone deacetylase 1 can repress transcription by binding to Sp1. Mol Cell Biol 19: 5504-5511.
- Dynan WS, Sazer S, Tjian R, Schimke RT (1986) Transcription factor Sp1 recognizes a DNA sequence in the mouse dihydrofolate reductase promoter. Nature 319: 246-248.
- Ebisuno S, Isohashi F, Nakanishi Y, Sakamoto Y (1988) Acetyl-CoA hydrolase: relation between activity and cholesterol metabolism in rat. Am J Physiol 255: R724-R730.
- Ebisuno S, Isohashi F, Nakanishi Y, Higashi T, Sakamoto Y (1989) The biphasic change of cytosolic acetyl-CoA hydrolase in rat liver during 3'-methyl-4-dimethylaminoazobenzene hepatocarcinogenesis. Jpn J Cancer Res 80: 132-135.
- Foti D, Iuliano R, Chiefari E, Brunetti A (2003) A nucleoprotein complex containing Sp1, C/EBPβ, and HMGI-Y controls human insulin receptor gene transcription. Mol Cell Biol 23: 2720-2732.
- Gurvitz A, Hiltunen JK, Erdmann R, Hamilton B, Hartig A, Ruis H, Rottensteiner H (2001) Saccharomyces cerevisiae Adr1p governs fatty acid β-oxidation and peroxisome proliferation by regulating POX1 and PEX11. J Biol Chem 276: 31825-31830.
- Horie S, Isobe M, Suga T (1986) Changes in CoA pools in hepatic peroxisomes of the rat under various conditions. J Biochem 99: 1345-1352.
- Hunt MC, Nousiainen SEB, Huttunen MK, Orii KE, Svensson LT, Alexson SEH (1999) Peroxisome proliferator-induced long chain acyl-CoA thioesterases comprise a highly conserved novel multi-gene family involved in lipid metabolism. J Biol Chem 274: 34317-34326.
- Isohashi F, Nakanishi Y, Sakamoto Y (1983a) Factors affecting the cold inactivation of an acetyl-Coenzyme-A hydrolase purified from the supernatant fraction of rat liver. Eur J Biochem 134: 447-452.
- Isohashi F, Nakanishi Y, Sakamoto Y (1983b) Effects of nucleotides on a cold labile acetyl-CoA hydrolase from the supernatant fraction of rat liver. Biochemistry 22: 584-590.
- Isohashi F, Nakanishi Y, Matsunaga T, Sakamoto Y (1984) A cold-labile acetyl-coenzyme-A hydrolase from the supernatant fraction of rat liver: reactivation and reconstitution of the active species from the inactive monomer. Eur J Biochem 142: 177-181.
- Kaessmann H, Zollner S, Nekrutenko A, Li W-H (2002) Signatures of domain shuffling in the human genome. Genome Res 12: 1642-1650.
- Kliewer SA, Umesono K, Heyman RA, Mangelsdorf DJ, Dyck JA, Evans RM (1992) Retinoid X receptor-COUP-TF interactions modulate retinoic acid signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 1448-1452.
- Kozak M (1987) At least six nucleotides preceding the AUG initiator codon enhance translation in mammalian cells. J Mol Biol 196: 947-950.
- Kozak M (1991) Structural features in eukaryotic mRNAs that modulate the initiation of translation. J Biol Chem 266: 19867-19870.
- La Thangue NB, Rigby PWJ (1988) Trans-acting protein factors and the regulation of eucaryotic transcription. In Transcription and Splicing (Hames BD, Glover DM, eds) pp 1-42, IRL Press, Washington, DC.
- Lania L, Majello B, De Luca P (1997) Transcriptional regulation by the Sp family proteins. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 29: 1313-1323.
- Mannaerts GP, Debeer LJ, Thomas J, De Schepper PJ (1979) Mitochondrial and peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation in liver homogenates and isolated hepatocytes from control and clofibrate-treated rats. J Biol Chem 254: 4585-4595.
- Matsunaga T, Isohashi F, Nakanishi Y, Sakamoto Y (1985) Physiological changes in the activities of extramitochondrial acetyl-CoA hydrolase in the liver of rats under various metabolic conditions. Eur J Biochem 152: 331-336.
- Muller C, Yang R, Beck-von-Peccoz L, Idos G, Verbeek W, Koeffler HP (1999) Cloning of the cyclin A1 genomic structure and characterization of the promoter region. J Biol Chem 274: 11220-11228.
- Murre C, Bain G, van Dijk MA, Engel I, Furnari BA, Massari ME, Matthews JR, Quong MW, Rivera RR, Stuiver MH (1994) Structure and function of helix-loop-helix proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta 1218: 129-135.
- Nakanishi Y, Isohashi F, Ebisuno S, Sakamoto Y (1988) Binding of nucleotides to an extramitochondrial acetyl-CoA hydrolase from rat liver. Biochemistry 27: 4822-4826.
- Nakanishi Y, Okamoto K, Isohashi F (1993) Effects of chronic administration of the peroxisome proliferator, clofibrate, on cytosolic acetyl-CoA hydrolase in rat liver. Biochem Pharmacol 45: 1403-1407.
- Nakanishi Y, Okamoto K, Isohashi F (1994) Subcellular distribution of ATP-stimulated and ADP-inhibited acetyl-CoA hydrolase in livers from control and clofibrate-treated rats: comparison of the cytosolic and peroxisomal enzyme. J Biochem 115: 328-332.
- Prass RL, Isohashi F, Utter MF (1980) Purification and characterization of an extramitochondrial acetyl coenzyme A hydrolase from rat liver. J Biol Chem 255: 5215-5223.
- Rundlof A-K, Carlsten M, Arner ESJ (2001) The core promoter of human thioredoxin reductase 1. J Biol Chem 276: 30542-30551.
- Schug J, Overton GC (1997) TESS: Transcription Element Search Software on the WWW. Website (http://www.cbil.upenn.edu/tess/) Computational Biology and Informatics Laboratory School of Medicine University of Pennsylvania. Technical Report CBIL-TR-1997-1001-v0.0.
- Sharp PA, Burge CB (1997) Classification of introns: U2-type or U12-type. Cell 91: 875-879.
- Simon EJ, Shemin D (1953) The preparation of S-succinyl Coenzyme A. J Am Chem Soc 75: 2520.
- Soling H-D, Rescher C (1985) On the regulation of cold-labile cytosolic and of mitochondrial acetyl-CoA hydrolase in rat liver. Eur J Biochem 147: 111-117.
- Speck NA, Baltimore D (1987) Six distinct nuclear factors interact with the 75-base-pair repeat of the Moloney murine leukemia virus enhancer. Mol Cell Biol 7: 1101-1110.
- Suematsu N, Okamoto K, Isohashi F (1996) Effects of various proteins or peptides on reactivation of cold-inactivated acetyl-CoA hydrolase from rat liver. St Marianna Med J 24: 691-697.
- Suematsu N, Okamoto K, Shibata K, Nakanishi Y, Isohashi F (2001) Molecular cloning and functional expression of rat liver cytosolic acetyl-CoA hydrolase. Eur J Biochem 268: 2700-2709.
- Suematsu N, Okamoto K, Isohashi F (2002) Mouse cytosolic acetyl-CoA hydrolase, a novel candidate for a key enzyme involved in fat metabolism: cDNA cloning, sequencing and functional expression. Acta Biochim Polon 49: 937-945.
- Suematsu N, Okamoto K, Isohashi F (2003) Simple and unique purification by size-exclusion chromatography for an oligomeric enzyme, rat liver cytosolic acetyl-coenzyme A hydrolase. J Chromatogr B, Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 790: 239-244.
- Suske G (1999) The Sp-family of transcription factors. Gene 238: 291-300.
- Tsujishita Y, Hurley JH (2000) Structure and lipid transport mechanism of a StAR-related domain. Nat Struct Biol 7: 408-414.
- Tugwood JD, Aldridge TC, Lambe KG, Macdonald N, Woodyatt NJ (1996) Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors: structures and function. Ann N Y Acad Sci 804: 252-265.
Publication order reference