Effect of aging and oxidative/genotoxic stress on poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 activity in rat brain
Languages of publication
Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP-1, EC 188.8.131.52), a DNA-bound enzyme, plays a key role in genome stability, but after overactivation can also be responsible for cell death. The aim of the present study was to investigate PARP-1 activity in the hippocampus, brain cortex, striatum and cerebellum in adult (4 months) and aged (24 months) specific pathogen free Wistar rats and to correlate it with PARP-1 protein level and p53 expression. Moreover, the response of PARP-1 in adult and aged hippocampus to oxidative/genotoxic stress was evaluated. Our data indicated a statistically significant enhancement of PARP-1 activity in aged hippocampus and cerebral cortex comparing to adults without statistically significant changes in PARP-1 protein level. The expression of p53 mRNA was elevated in all aged brain parts with the exception of the cerebral cortex. Our data suggest that enhancement of PARP-1 activity and p53 expression in aged brain may indicate higher DNA damage. Our data also indicate that during excessive oxidative/genotoxic stress there is no response of PARP-1 activity in aged hippocampus in contrast to a significant enhancement of PARP-1 activity in adults which may have important consequences for the physiology and pathology of the brain.
- Agarwal ML, Agarwal A, Taylor WR, Wang ZQ, Wagner EF, Stark GR (1997) Defective induction but normal activation and function of p53 in mouse cells lacking poly-ADP-ribose polymerase. Oncogene 15: 1035-1041.
- Bizec JC, Klethi J, Mandel P (1989) Regulation of protein adenosine diphosphate ribosylation in bovine lens during aging. Ophthalmic Res 21: 175-183.
- Cabelof DC, Raffoul JJ, Yanamadala S, Ganir C, Guo Z, Heydari AR (2002) Attenuation of DNA polymerase beta-dependent base excision repair and increased DMS-induced mutagenicity in aged mice. Mutat Res 500: 135-145.
- Chiarugi A (2002) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase: killer or conspirator? The 'suicide hypothesis' revisited. Trends Pharmacol Sci 23: 122-129.
- Chiarugi A, Moskowitz MA (2003) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 activity promotes NF-κB-driven transcription and microglial activation: implication for neurodegenerative disorders. J Neurochem 85: 306-317.
- Chung YH, Shin C, Kim MJ, Lee B, Park KH, Cha CI (2000) Immunocytochemical study on the distribution of p53 in the hippocampus and cerebellum in the aged rat. Brain Res 885: 137-141.
- Grube K, Bürkle A (1992) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activity in mononuclear leukocytes of 13 mammalian species correlates with species-specific life span. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 11759-11763.
- Hamilton ML, Van Remmen H, Drake JA, Yang H, Guo ZM, Kewitt K, Walter CA, Richardson A (2001) Does oxidative damage to DNA increase with age? Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 10469-10474.
- Hassa PO, Hottiger MO (1999) A role of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in NF-κB transcriptional activation. Biol Chem 380: 953-959.
- Izzotti A, Cartiglia C, Taningher M, De Flora S, Balansky R (1999) Age-related increases of 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine and DNA-protein crosslinks in mouse organs. Mutat Res 446: 215-223.
- Malanga M, Althaus FR (2005) The role of poly(ADP-ribose) in the DNA damage signaling network. Biochem Cell Biol 83: 354-364.
- Malanga M, Pleschke JM, Kleczkowska HE, Althaus FR (1998) Poly(ADP-ribose) binds to specific domains of p53 and alters its DNA binding functions. J Biol Chem 273: 11839-11843.
- Malanga M, Romano M, Ferone A, Petrella A, Monti G, Jones R, Limatola E, Farina B (2005) Misregulation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 activity and cell type-specific loss of poly(ADP-ribose) synthesis in the cerebellum of aged rats. J Neurochem 93: 1000-1009.
- Mandavilli BS, Rao KS (1996) Neurons in the cerebral cortex are most susceptible to DNA-damage in aging rat brain. Biochem Mol Biol Int 40: 507-514.
- Masson M, Niedergang C, Schreiber V, Muller S, Menissier-de Murcia J, de Murcia G (1998) XRCC1 is specifically associated with poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase and negatively regulates its activity following DNA damage. Mol Cell Biol 18: 3563-3571.
- Messripour M, Weltin D, Rastegar A, Ciesielski L, Kopp P, Chabert M, Mandel P (1994) Age-associated changes of rat brain neuronal and astroglial poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activity. J Neurochem 62: 502-506.
- Muiras ML, Muller M, Schachter F, Burkle A (1998) Increased poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activity in lymphoblastoid cell lines from centenarians. J Mol Med 76: 346-354.
- Oliver FJ, Menissier-de Murcia J, Nacci C, Decker P, Andriantsitohaina R, Muller S, de la Rubia G, Stoclet JC, de Murcia G (1999) Resistance to endotoxic shock as a consequence of defective NF-κB activation in poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 deficient mice. EMBO J 18: 4446-4454.
- Pero RW, Holmgren K, Persson L (1985) Gamma-radiation induced ADP-ribosyl transferase activity and mammalian longevity. Mutat Res 142: 69-73.
- Pleschke JM, Kleczkowska HE, Strohm M, Althaus FR (2000) Poly(ADP-ribose) binds to specific domains in DNA damage checkpoint proteins. J Biol Chem 275: 40974-40980.
- Strosznajder JB, Jęśko H, Strosznajder RP (2000a) Age-related alteration of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activity in different parts of the brain. Acta Biochim Polon 47: 331-337.
- Strosznajder JB, Jęśko H, Strosznajder RP (2000b) Effect of amyloid beta peptide on poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activity in adult and aged rat hippocampus. Acta Biochim Polon 47: 847-854.
- Strosznajder RP, Gadamski R, Czapski GA, Jesko H, Strosznajder JB (2003) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase during reperfusion after transient forebrain ischemia: its role in brain edema and cell death. J Mol Neurosci 20: 61-72.
- Strosznajder RP, Jesko H, Zambrzycka A (2005) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase the nuclear target in signal transduction and its role in brain ischemia reperfusion injury. Mol Neurobiol 31: 149-167.
- Wang X, Ohnishi K, Takahashi A, Ohnishi T (1998) Poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation is required for p53-dependent signal transduction induced by radiation. Oncogene 17: 2819-2825.
- Wesierska-Gadek J, Schmid G (2001) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 regulates the stability of the wild-type p53 protein. Cell Mol Biol Lett 6: 117-140.
- Wesierska-Gadek J, Wojciechowski J, Schmid G (2003) Phosphorylation regulates the interaction and complex formation between wt p53 protein and PARP-1. J Cell Biochem 89: 1260-1284.
- Wesierska-Gadek J, Ranftler C, Schmid G (2005) Physiological ageing: role of p53 and PARP-1 tumor suppressors in the regulation of terminal senescence. J Physiol Pharmacol 56 (Suppl 2): 77-88.
- Yu SW, Wang H, Poitras MF, Coombs C, Bowers WJ, Federoff HJ, Poirier GG, Dawson TM, Dawson VL (2002) Mediation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1-dependent cell death by apoptosis-inducing factor. Science 297: 259-263.
- Zhang J, Dawson VL, Dawson TM, Snyder SH (1994) Nitric oxide activation of poly(ADP-ribose) synthetase in neurotoxicity. Science 263: 687-689.
Publication order reference