The effect of Topotecan on oxidative stress in MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line
Languages of publication
Purpose. Topotecan, a semisynthetic water-soluble derivative of camptothecin exerts its cytotoxic effect by inhibiting topoisomerase I and causes double-strand DNA breaks which inhibit DNA function and ultimately lead to cell death. In previous studies it was shown that camptothecin causes ROS formation. The aim of this study was to investigate if Topotecan like camptotecin causes oxidative stress in MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line. Determining the oxidant effect of Topotecan may elucidate a possible alternative mechanism for its cytotoxicity. Experimental design. MCF-7 cells were cultured and exposed to Topotecan for 24 h at 37°C. The viability of the cells (% of control) was measured using the colorimetric 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay. Lipid peroxidation (TBARS), protein oxidation (carbonyl content), sulfhydryl, glutathione (GSH) levels, superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx) activities were determined in MCF-7 cells with and without Topotecan incubation. Results. We found the IC50 concentration of Topotecan as 0.218 µM in MCF-7 cells. This concentration of Topotecan was used in the incubations of the cells. Our data indicated increased oxidative status, as revealed by increased lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation, and decreased GSH and sulfhydryl levels in MCF-7 cells exposed to Topotecan compared to control cells. In contrast, there was a slight increase in SOD and a significant increase in GPx and catalase activity in MCF-7 cells incubated with Topotecan compared to the control. Conclusions. These results support our hypothesis that Topotecan increases oxidative stress in MCF-7 cells.
- Aebi H (1987) Catalase of enzmatic analysis. In: Enzymes 1: Oxidoreductases, Transferases. Bergmeyer H, ed, pp 273-285. VCH Verlagsgesellschaft, Weinheim.
- Akbas SH, Timur M, Ozben T (2005) The effect of quercetin on Topotecan cytotoxicity in MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cells. J Surg Res 125: 49-55.
- Baek SM, Kwon CH, Kim JH, Woo JS, Jung JS, Kim YK (2003) Differential roles of hydrogen peroxide and hydroxyl radical in cisplatin-induced cell death in renal proximal tubular epithelial cells. J Lab Clin Med 142: 178-186.
- Baliga R, Ueda N, Walker PD, Shah SV (1999) Oxidant mechanisms in toxic acute renal failure. Drug Metab Rev 31: 971-997.
- Bustamante J, Galleano M, Medrano EE, Boveris A (1990) Adriamycin effects on hydroperoxide metabolism and growth of human breast tumor cells. Breast Cancer Res Treat 17: 145-153.
- Cakatay U, Telci A, Kayali R, Tekeli F, Akcay T, Sivas A (2003) Relation of aging with oxidative protein damage parameters in the rat skeletal muscle. Clin Biochem 36: 51-55.
- Carrard G, Bulteau AL, Petropoulos I, Friguet B (2002) Impairment of proteasome structure and function in aging. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 34: 1461-1474.
- Chung-man Ho J, Zheng S, Comhair SA, Farver C, Erzurum SC (2001) Differential expression of manganese superoxide dismutase and catalase in lung cancer. Cancer Res 61: 8578-8585.
- Desai SD, Zhang H, Rodriguez-Bauman A, Yang JM, Wu X, Gounder MK, Rubin EH, Liu LF (2003) Transcription-dependent degradation of topoisomerase I-DNA covalent complexes. Mol Cell Biol 23: 2341-2350.
- Doroshow JH (1986) Prevention of doxorubicin-induced killing of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells by oxygen radical scavengers and iron chelating agents. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 135: 330-335.
- Erlichman C, Boerner SA, Hallgren CG, Spieker R, Wang XY, James CD, Scheffer GL, Maliepaard M, Ross DD, Bible KC, Kaufmann SH (2001) The HER tyrosine kinase inhibitor CI1033 enhances cytotoxicity of 7-ethyl-10-hydroxycamptothecin and Topotecan by inhibiting breast cancer resistance protein-mediated drug efflux. Cancer Res 61: 739-748.
- Evans P, Lyras L, Halliwell B (1999) Measurement of protein carbonyls in human brain tissue. Methods Enzymol 300: 145-156.
- Fairbanks V, Klee GG (1986) Biochemical aspects of hematology. In: Textbook of Clinical Chemistry. Tietz N, ed, pp 1498-1535. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia.
- Geng CX, Zeng ZC, Wang JY (2003) Docetaxel inhibits SMMC-7721 human hepatocellular carcinoma cells growth and induces apoptosis. World J Gastroenterol 9: 696-700.
- Ghazizadeh M (2003) Cisplatin may induce frataxin expression. J Nippon Med Sch 70: 367-371.
- Gorman A, McGowan A, Cotter TG (1997) Role of peroxide and superoxide anion during tumour cell apoptosis. FEBS Lett 404: 27-33.
- Hagiwara SI, Ishii Y, Kitamura S (2000) Aerosolized administration of N-acetylcysteine attenuates lung fibrosis induced by bleomycin in mice. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 162: 225-231.
- Hiraoka W, Vazquez N, Nieves-Neira W, Chanock SJ, Pommier Y (1998) Role of oxygen radicals generated by NADPH oxidase in apoptosis induced in human leukemia cells. J Clin Invest 102: 1961-1968.
- Hug H, Strand S, Grambihler A, Galle J, Hack V, Stremmel W, Krammer PH, Galle PR (1997) Reactive oxygen intermediates are involved in the induction of CD95 ligand mRNA expression by cytostatic drugs in hepatoma cells. J Biol Chem 272: 28191-28193.
- Hulka BS, Stark AT (1995) Breast cancer: cause and prevention. Lancet 346: 883-887.
- Kahlos K, Soini Y, Sormunen R, Kaarteenaho-Wiik R, Paakko P, Linnainmaa K, Kinnula VL (2001) Expression and prognostic significance of catalase in malignant mesothelioma. Cancer 91: 1349-1357.
- Kaufmann SH, Peereboom D, Buckwalter CA, Svingen PA, Grochow LB, Donehower RC, Rowinsky EK (1996) Cytotoxic effects of Topotecan combined with various anticancer agents in human cancer cell lines. J Natl Cancer Inst 88: 734-741.
- Kinnula K, Linnainmaa K, Raivio KO, Kinnula VL (1998) Endogenous antioxidant enzymes and glutathione S-transferase in protection of mesothelioma cells against hydrogen peroxide and epirubicin toxicity. Br J Cancer 77: 1097-1102.
- Koster JF, Biemond P, Swaak AJ (1986) Intracellular and extracellular sulphydryl levels in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 45: 44-46.
- Levine RL, Garland D, Oliver CN, Amici A, Climent I, Lenz AG, Ahn BW, Shaltiel S, Stadtman ER (1990) Determination of carbonyl content in oxidatively modified proteins. Methods Enzymol 186: 464-478.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Mans DR, Lafleur MV, Westmijze EJ, Horn IR, Bets D, Schuurhuis GJ, Lankelma J, Retel J (1992) Reactions of glutathione with the catechol, the ortho-quinone and the semi-quinone free radical of etoposide. Consequences for DNA inactivation. Biochem Pharmacol 43: 1761-1768.
- Mansat-de Mas V, Bezombes C, Quillet-Mary A, Bettaieb A, D'Orgeix AD, Laurent G, Jaffrezou JP (1999) Implication of radical oxygen species in ceramide generation, c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation and apoptosis induced by daunorubicin. Mol Pharmacol 56: 867-874.
- Minotti G, Ronchi R, Salvatorelli E, Menna P, Cairo G (2001) Doxorubicin irreversibly inactivates iron regulatory proteins 1 and 2 in cardiomyocytes: evidence for distinct metabolic pathways and implications for iron-mediated cardiotoxicity of antitumor therapy. Cancer Res 61: 8422-8428.
- Misra HP, Fridovich I (1972) The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem 247: 3170-3175.
- Mosmann T (1983) Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 65: 55-63.
- Muluk NB, Kisa U, Kacmaz M, Apan A, Koc C (2005) Efficacy of Topotecan treatment on antioxidant enzymes and TBA-RS levels in submandibular glands of rabbits: an experimental study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132: 136-140.
- Novak RF, Kharasch ED (1985) Mitoxantrone: propensity for free radical formation and lipid peroxidation - implications for cardiotoxicity. Invest New Drugs 3: 95-99.
- Paglia DE, Valentine WN (1967) Studies on the quantitative and qualitative characterization of erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase. J Lab Clin Med 70: 158-169.
- Reznick AZ, Packer L (1994) Oxidative damage to proteins: spectrophotometric method for carbonyl assay. Methods Enzymol 233: 357-363.
- Russo A, Mitchell JB (1985) Potentiation and protection of doxorubicin cytotoxicity by cellular glutathione modulation. Cancer Treat Rep 69: 1293-1296.
- Russo A, Mitchell JB, McPherson S, Friedman N (1984) Alteration of bleomycin cytotoxicity by glutathione depletion or elevation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 10: 1675-1678.
- Sarvazyan NA, Askari A, Huang WH (1995) Effects of doxorubicin on cardiomyocytes with reduced level of superoxide dismutase. Life Sci 57: 1003-1010.
- Simizu S, Takada M, Umezawa K, Imoto M (1998) Requirement of caspase-3(-like) protease-mediated hydrogen peroxide production for apoptosis induced by various anticancer drugs. J Biol Chem 273: 26900-26907.
- Sinha BK, Katki AG, Batist G, Cowan KH, Myers CE (1987) Adriamycin-stimulated hydroxyl radical formation in human breast tumor cells. Biochem Pharmacol 36: 793-796.
- Sinha BK, Mimnaugh EG (1990) Free radicals and anticancer drug resistance: oxygen free radicals in the mechanisms of drug cytotoxicity and resistance by certain tumors. Free Radic Biol Med 8: 567-581.
- Sladowski D, Steer SJ, Clothier RH, Balls M (1993) An improved MTT assay. J Immunol Methods 157: 203-207.
- Somasundaram S, Edmund NA, Moore DT, Small GW, Shi YY, Orlowski RZ (2002) Dietary curcumin inhibits chemotherapy-induced apoptosis in models of human breast cancer. Cancer Res 62: 3868-3875.
- Stadtman ER (2002) Importance of individuality in oxidative stress and aging. Free Radic Biol Med 33: 597-604.
- Stadtman ER, Levine RL (2000) Protein oxidation. Ann N Y Acad Sci 899: 191-208.
- Telci A, Cakatay U, Kayali R, Erdogan C, Orhan Y, Sivas A, Akcay T (2000) Oxidative protein damage in plasma of type 2 diabetic patients. Horm Metab Res 32: 40-43.
- Wasowicz W, Neve J, Peretz A (1993) Optimized steps in fluorometric determination of thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances in serum: importance of extraction pH and influence of sample preservation and storage. Clin Chem 39: 2522-2526
- Wenzel U, Nickel A, Kuntz S, Daniel H (2004) Ascorbic acid suppresses drug-induced apoptosis in human colon cancer cells by scavenging mitochondrial superoxide anions. Carcinogenesis 25: 703-712.
Publication order reference