Short-term regulation of the mammalian pyruvate dehydrogenase complex
Languages of publication
In this minireview the main mechanism of control of mammalian pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (PDHC) activity by phosphorylation-dephosphorylation is presented in the first place. The information recently obtained in several laboratories includes new data about isoforms of the PDH converting enzymes (kinase and phosphatase) and their action in view of short-term regulation of PDHC. Moreover, interesting influence of exogenous thiamine diphosphate (TDP) and some divalent cations, especially Mn2+, on the kinetic parameters of PDHC saturated with endogenous tightly bound TDP, is discussed. This influence causes a shortening of the lag-phase of the catalyzed reaction and a strong decrease of the Km value of PDHC mainly for pyruvate. There are weighty arguments that the effects have an allosteric nature. Thus, besides reversible phosphorylation, also direct manifold increase of mammalian PDHC affinity for the substrate by cofactors seems an important aspect of its regulation.
- Bao H, Kasten SA, Yan X, Hiromasa Y, Roche TE (2004a) Pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase isoform 2 activity stimulated by speeding up the rate of dissociation of ADP. Biochemistry 43: 13442-13451.
- Bao H, Kasten SA, Yan X, Roche TE (2004b) Pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase isoform 2 limited and further inhibited by slowing down the rate of dissociation of ADP. Biochemistry 43: 13432-13441.
- Bowker-Kinley MM, Davis WI, Wu P, Harris RA, Popov KM (1998) Evidence for existence of tissue-specific regulation of the mammalian pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. Biochem J 329: 191-196.
- Caruso M, Maitan MA, Bifulko G, Miele C, Vigliotta G, Oriente F, Formisano P, Beguinot F (2001) Activation and mitochondrial translocation of protein kinase Cδ are necessary for insulin stimulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex activity in muscle and liver cells. J Biol Chem 276: 45088-45097.
- Chen G, Wang L, Liu S, Chang C, Roche TE (1996) Activated function of the pyruvate dehydrogenase phosphatase through Ca2+-facilitated binding to the inner lipoyl domain of the dihydrolipoyl acetyltransferase. J Biol Chem 271: 28064-28070.
- Ciszak EM, Korotchkina LG, Dominiak PM, Sidhu S, Patel MS (2003) Structural basis for flip-flop action of thiamin pyrophosphate-dependent enzymes revealed by human pyruvate dehydrogenase. J Biol Chem 278: 21240-21246.
- Czerniecki J, Czygier M (2001) Cooperation of divalent ions and thiamine diphosphate in regulation of the function of pig heart pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 47: 385-386.
- Czygier M, Strumiło S (1994) Basic properties of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex isolated from aurochs heart. Acta Biochim Polon 41: 453-457.
- Czygier M, Strumiło S (1995a) An investigation of the kinase activity of aurochs heart pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. Biochem Mol Biol Int 37: 313-317.
- Czygier MB, Strumiło SA (1995b) Changes in some properties of the aurochs heart pyruvate dehydrogenase complex induced by its partial phosphorylation (in English). Ukr Biokhim Zh 67: 25-28.
- Denton RM, McCormack JG, Rutter GA, Burnett P, Edgell NJ, Moule SK, Diggle TA (1996) The hormonal regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. Adv Enzyme Regul 36: 183- 198.
- Fries M, Jung HI, Perham RN (2003) Reaction mechanism of the heterotetrameric (alpha2beta2) E1 component of 2-oxo acid dehydrogenase multienzyme complexes. Biochemistry 42: 6996-7002.
- Gudi R, Bowker-Kinley MM, Kedishvili NY, Zhao Y, Popov KM (1995) Diversity of the pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase gene family in humans. J Biol Chem 270: 28989-28994.
- Harris RA, Huang B, Wu P (2001) Control of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase gene expression. Adv Enzyme Regul 41: 269-288.
- Harris RA, Bowker-Kinley MM, Huang B, Wu P (2002) Regulation of the activity of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. Adv Enzyme Regul 42: 249-259.
- Hiromasa Y, Fujisawa T, Aso Y, Roche TE (2004) Organization of the cores of the mammalian pyruvate dehydrogenase complex formed by E2 and E2 plus E3-binding protein and their capacities to bind the E1 and E3 components. J Biol Chem 279: 6921-6933.
- Holness MJ, Sugden MC (2003) Regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex by reversible phosphorylation. Biochem Soc Trans 31: 1143-1151.
- Huang B, Gudi R, Wu P, Harris RA, Hamilton J, Popov KM (1998) Isoenzymes of pyruvate dehydrogenase phosphatase. DNA-derived amino acid sequences, expression, and regulation. J Biol Chem 273: 17680-17688.
- Huang B, Wu P, Popov KM, Harris RA (2003) Starvation and diabetes reduce the amount of pyruvate dehydrogenase phosphatase in rat heart and kidney. Diabetes 52: 1371-1376.
- Karpova T, Danchuk S, Kolobova E, Popov KM (2003) Characterization of the isozymes of pyruvate dehydrogenase phosphatase: implications for the regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase activity. Biochim Biophys Acta 1652: 126-135.
- Khailova LS, Korochkina LG, Severin SE (1990) Intersite cooperativity in enzyme action of pyruvate dehydrogenase. In Biochemistry and Physiology of TDP Enzymes. Bisswanger H, Ullrich J, eds, pp 251-261, VCH Weinheim, Blaubeuren, Germany.
- Kiselevsky YV, Ostrovtsova SA, Strumiło SA (1990) Kinetic characterization of the pyruvate and oxoglutarate dehydrogenase complexes from human heart. Acta Biochim Polon 37: 135-139.
- Kolobova E, Tuganova A, Boulatnikov I, Popov KM (2001) Regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase activity through phosphorylation at multiple sites. Biochem J 358: 69-77.
- Korotchkina LG, Patel MS (2001) Probing the mechanism of inactivation of human pyruvate dehydrogenase by phosphorylation of three sites. J Biol Chem 276: 5731-5738.
- Korotchkina LG, Ciszak EM, Patel MS (2004) Function of several critical amino acids in human pyruvate dehydrogenase revealed by its structure. Arch Biochem Biophys 429: 171-179.
- Lawson JE, Park SH, Mattison AR, Van J, Reed LJ (1997) Cloning, expression, and properties of the regulatory subunit of bovine pyruvate dehydrogenase phosphatase. J Biol Chem 272: 31625-31629.
- Linn TC, Pettit FH, Reed LJ (1969) α-Keto acid dehydrogenase complexes. X. Regulation of the activity of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex from beef kidney mitochondria by phosphorylation and dephosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 62: 234-241.
- Liu S, Baker JC, Roche TE (1995) Binding of the pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase to recombinant constructs containing the inner lipoyl domain of the dihydrolipoyl acetyltransferase component. J Biol Chem 270: 793-800.
- Monod J, Wyman J, Changeux J-P (1965) On the nature of allosteric transitions: a plausible model. J Mol Biol 12: 88-117.
- Patel MS, Korotchkina LG (2003) The biochemistry of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. Biochem Mol Biol Education 31: 5-15.
- Perham RN (2000) Swinging arms and swinging domains in multifunctional enzymes: catalytic machines for multistep reactions. Annu Rev Biochem 69: 961-1004.
- Reed LJ (2001) A trail of research from lipoic acid to α-keto acid dehydrogenase complexes. J Biol Chem 276: 38329-38336.
- Roche TE, Hiromasa Y, Turkan A, Gong X, Peng T, Yan X, Kasten SA, Bao H, Dong J (2003) Essential roles of lipoyl domains in the activated function and control of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinases and phosphatase isoform 1. Eur J Biochem 270: 1050-1056.
- Steussy CN, Popov KM, Bowker-Kinley MM, Sloan RB Jr, Harris RA, Hamilton JA (2001) Structure of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase. Novel folding pattern for a serine protein kinase. J Biol Chem 276: 37443-37450.
- Strumiło SA (1983) Study of the reactivation of a partially phosphorylated pyruvate dehydrogenase complex from bovine adrenal glands. Biokhimiya 48: 1879-1883 (English edition as Biochemistry - Moscow 48: 1617-1620).
- Strumiło SA (1988) Hysteresis behaviour of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex containing endogenous thiamin pyrophosphate. In Thiamin Pyrophosphate Biochemistry. Schellenberger A, Schowen RL eds, pp 83-91. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Strumiło S, Czygier M (1998) Regulation of bovine pyruvate dehydrogenase complex by thiamine pyrophosphate. Biochem Arch 14: 27-32.
- Strumiło SA, Senkevich SB, Vinogradov VV (1981) Characterization of kinase activity of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex from bovine adrenals. Biokhimiya 46: 974-978 (English edition as Biochemistry - Moscow 46: 788-792).
- Strumiło SA, Senkevich SB, Selevich MI, Vinogradov VV (1984) Inhibition of the kinase activity of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex of the adrenals by the mitochondrial component. Biokhimiya 49: 155-159 (English edition as Biochemistry - Moscow 49: 132-136).
- Strumiło S, Czerniecki J, Dobrzyń P (1999) Regulatory effect of thiamin pyrophosphate on pig heart pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 256: 341-345.
- Strumiło S, Czygier M, Kondracikowska J, Dobrzyń P, Czerniecki J (2002) Kinetic and spectral investigation of allosteric interaction of coenzymes with 2-oxo acid dehydrogenase complexes. J Mol Struct 614: 221-226.
- Sumegi B, Alkonyi I (1983) Elementary steps in the reaction of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex from pig heart. Kinetic of thiamine diphosphate binding to the complex. Eur J Biochem 136: 347-352.
- Walsh DA, Cooper RH, Denton RM, Bridges BJ, Randle PJ (1976) The elementary reactions of the pig heart pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. A study of the inhibition by phosphorylation. Biochem J 157: 41-67.
- Wałajtys EI, Gottesman DP, Williamson JR (1974) Regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase in rat liver mitochondria by phosphorylation-dephosphorylation. J Biol Chem 249: 1857-1865.
- Wieland OH (1983) The mammalian pyruvate dehydrogenase complex: structure and regulation. Rev Physiol Biochem Pharmacol 96: 123-170.
- Wieland OH, Jagow-Westermann B (1969) ATP-dependent inactivation of heart muscle pyruvate dehydrogenase and reactivation by Mg++. FEBS Lett 3: 271-274.
- Wu P, Blair PV, Sato J, Jaskiewicz J, Popov KM, Harris RA (2000) Starvation increases the amount of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase in several mammalian tissues. Arch Biochem Biophys 381: 1-7.
- Yeaman SJ (1989) The 2-oxo acid dehydrogenase complexes: recent advances. Biochem J 257: 625- 632.
Publication order reference