Bio-markers: traceability in food safety issues
Languages of publication
Research and practice are focusing on development, validation and harmonization of technologies and methodologies to ensure complete traceability process throughout the food chain. The main goals are: scale-up, implementation and validation of methods in whole food chains, assurance of authenticity, validity of labelling and application of HACCP (hazard analysis and critical control point) to the entire food chain. The current review is to sum the scientific and technological basis for ensuring complete traceability. Tracing and tracking (traceability) of foods are complex processes due to the (bio)markers, technical solutions and different circumstances in different technologies which produces various foods (processed, semi-processed, or raw). Since the food is produced for human or animal consumption we need suitable markers to be stable and traceable all along the production chain. Specific biomarkers can have a function in technology and in nutrition. Such approach would make this development faster and more comprehensive and would make possible that food effect could be monitored with same set of biomarkers in consumer. This would help to develop and implement food safety standards that would be based on real physiological function of particular food component.
- Adams SM, ed (2002) Biological Indicators of Aquatic Ecosystem Stress, p 252, American Fisheries Society, Bethesda.
- Ahmed FE (2002) Detection of genetically modified organisms in foods. Trends Biotechnol 20: 215-223.
- Bender AE, Bender DA (1995) Dictionary of Food and Nutrition, p 152. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Blankenberg FG (2004) Molecular imaging with single photon emission computed tomography. How new tracers can be employed in the nuclear medicine clinic. IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 23: 51-57.
- Cunningham EP, Meghen CM (2001) Biological identification systems: genetic markers. Rev Sci Tech 20: 491-499.
- de Graaf C, Blom WA, Smeets PA, Stafleu A, Hendriks HF (2004) Biomarkers of satiation and satiety. Am J Clin Nutr 79: 946-961.
- Diemer J, Quetel CR, Taylor PD (2002) Contribution to the certification of B, Cd, Cu, Mg and Pb in a synthetic water sample, by use of isotope-dilution ICP-MS, for Comparison 12 of the International Measurement Evaluation Programme. Anal Bioanal Chem 374: 220-225.
- Germolec DR, Kimber I, Goldman L, Selgrade MJ (2003) Key issues for the assessment of the allergenic potential of genetically modified foods: breakout group reports. Environ Health Perspect 111: 1131-1139.
- Gotel OCZ, Finkelstein ACW (2004) An Analysis of the Requirements Traceability Problem, http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/A.Finkelstein/papers/rtprob.pdf
- Hiroyasu M, Ozeki M, Miyagawa-Hayashino A, Fujiwara Y, Hiai H, Toyokuni S (2002) Novel surrogate end-point biomarker to evaluate agents for use in the chemoprevention of reactive oxygen species-associated cancer. Redox Rep 7: 335-338.
- Huggett RJ, Kimerle RA, Mehrle PM, Bergman HL, eds (1992) Biomarkers Biochemical, Physiological, and Histological Markers of Anthropogenic Stress. Lewis Publishers, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Jerman S, Podgornik A, Cankar K, Čadež N, Skrt M, Žel J, Raspor P (2004) Detection of processed genetically modified food using CIM monolithic columns for DNA isolation. J Chromatogr, B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 25; 799: 343-347.
- Lang T, Heasman M (2004) Food Wars: The Battle for Mouths, Minds and Markets, p 365.
- Looney SW (2002) Statistical methods for assessing biomarkers. Methods Mol Biol 184: 81-109.
- Norton SM, Huyn P, Hastings CA, Heller JC (2001) Data mining of spectroscopic data for biomarker discovery. Curr Opin Drug Discov Devel 4: 325-331.
- Peakall DB, Walker CH, Migula P, eds (1999) Biomarkers: Pragmatic Basis for Remediation of Severe Pollution in Eastern Europe, p 323. Kluwer Academic Publishers, London.
- Podgornik A, Štravs R, Koselj P, Leštan D, Raspor P (1994) Bioprocess monitoring, control and data management software SHIVA. Prehrambeno-tehnol Biotehnol Rev 32: 181-186.
- Ponce RA, Bartell SM, Kavanagh TJ, Woods JS, Griffith WC, Lee RC, Takaro TK, Faustman EM (1998) Uncertainty analysis methods for comparing predictive models and biomarkers: a case study of dietary methyl mercury exposure. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 28: 96-105.
- Raspor P (2001) Biotechnology for 21st century - do we need it? In Commodity Science in Global Quality Perspective: Products - Technology, Quality and Environment: Proceedings of the 13th IGWT Symposium, September 2001, Maribor, Slovenia. Denac M, Musil V, Pregrad B, eds, Ekonomsko-Poslovna Fakulteta, p 1-6, Maribor.
- Raspor P (2003) Primary identifiers of food items using bio(logical) markers. In Managing the complexities of traceability for quality, safety and profit: FoodTracE: conference proceedings, p 5-7. European Commision Concerted Action Project, Brussels.
- Raspor P (2004) Bio-markers as primary identifiers as needed for food safety and traceability of food items. In 2nd Central European Congress on Food, April 2004, Budapest, Hungary, p 1-11, CEFood Congress. Consumers, Nutrition, Safety, Technology.
- Raspor P, ed (2002) Handbook for Establishment and Conducting HACCP System. XIV, p 598, Slovenski institut za kakovost in meroslovje: Biotehniška Fakulteta, Oddelek za živilstvo, Ljubljana.
- Saracci R (1997) Comparing measurements of biomarkers with other measurements of exposure. In Application of Biomarkers in Cancer Epidemiology. Toniolo P, Boffetta P, Shuker DEG, Rothman N, Hulka B, Pearce N eds. IARC Scientific Publications No. 142, pp 303-312, Lyon.
- Schulte PA, Waters M (1999) Using molecular epidemiology in assessing exposure for risk assessment. Ann NY Acad Sci 895: 101-111.
- Service RF (2003) Genetics and medicine. Recruiting genes, proteins for a revolution in diagnostics. Science 300: 236-239.
- Sharpless KE, Greenberg RR, Schantz MM, Welch MJ, Wise SA, Ihnat M (2004) Filling the AOAC triangle with food-matrix standard reference materials. Anal Bioanal Chem 378: 1161-1167.
- Temnykh S, DeClerck G, Lukashova A, Lipovich L, Cartinhour S, McCouch S (2001) Computational and experimental analysis of microsatellites in rice (Oryza sativa L.), frequency, length variation, transposon associations, and genetic marker potential. Genome Res 11: 1441-1452.
- Vazquez JF, Perez T, Urena F, Gudin E, Albornoz J, Dominguez A (2004) Practical application of DNA fingerprinting to trace beef. J Food Prot 67: 972-979.
- Walker CH (1997) Principles of Ecotoxicology, p 321, Taylor & Francis, London, Bristol.
- White E (1997) Effects of biomarker measurement error on epidemiological studies. In Application of Biomarkers in Cancer Epidemiology. Toniolo P, Boffetta P, Shuler DEG, Rothman N, Hulka B, Pearce N, eds, pp 73-93, IARC Scientific Publications No. 142, Lyon.
- WHO (2001) Environmental Health Criteria for Biomarkers in Risk Assessment: Validity and Validation, World Health Organization, Geneva, ISSN 0250-863X.
- Zolg JW, Langen H (2004) How industry is approaching the search for new diagnostic markers and biomarkers. Mol Cell Proteomics 3: 345-354.
Publication order reference