Some structural properties of plant serine:glyoxylate aminotransferase?
Languages of publication
The structural properties of photorespiratory serine:glyoxylate aminotransferases (SGAT, EC 220.127.116.11) from maize (Zea mays L.) and wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) leaves were examined. By means of molecular sieving on Zorbax SE-250 column and filtration through centrifugal filters it was shown that dimers of wheat enzyme (molecular mass of about 90 kDa) dissociate into component monomers (molecular mass of about 45 kDa) upon decrease in pH value (from 9.1 or 7.0 to 6.5). At pH 9.1 a 50-fold decrease of ionic strength elicited a similar effect. Under the same conditions homodimers of the maize enzyme (molecular mass similar to that of the wheat enzyme) remained stable. Immunoblot analysis with polyclonal antiserum against wheat seedling SGAT on leaf homogenates or highly purified preparations of both enzymes showed that the immunogenic portions of the wheat enzyme are divergent from those of the maize enzyme. The sequence of 136 amino acids of the maize enzyme and 78 amino acids of the wheat enzyme was established by tandem mass spectrometry with time of flight analyzer. The two enzymes likely share similarity in tertiary and quaternary structures as well as high level of hydrophobicity on their molecular surfaces. They likely differ in the mechanism of transport from the site of biosynthesis to peroxisomes as well as in some aspects of secondary structure.
- Bauwe H, Kolukisaoglu LI (2003) Genetic manipulation of glycine decarboxylation. J Exp Bot 54: 1523-1535.
- Blum H, Bayer H, Gross HJ (1987) Improved silver staining of plant proteins, RNA and DNA in polyacrylamide gels. Electrophoresis 8: 93-99.
- Bradford MM (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 72: 248-254.
- Chapple CCS, Glove JR, Ellis BE (1990) Purification and characterization of methionine : glyoxylate aminotransferase from Brassica carinata and Brassica napus. Plant Physiol 94: 1887-1896.
- Devi MT, Rajagopalan AV, Raghavendra AS (1996) Purification and properties of glycolate oxidase from plants with different photosyntetic pathways: Distinctness of C4 enzyme from that of a C3 species and a C3-C4 intermediate. Photosynthesis Res 47: 231-238.
- Hart GE, Langston PJ (1977) Glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase isozymes of the Triticum: dissociation and recombination of subunits. Theor Appl Genet 50: 47-51.
- Hath MD, Mau SL (1972) Activity, location and role of aspartate aminotransferase isoenzymes in leaves with C4 pathway photosynthesis. Arch Biochem Biophys 156: 195-206.
- Heupel R, Heldt HW (1994) Protein organization in the matrix of leaf peroxisomes. Eur J Biochem 220: 165-172.
- Hondred D, McC Hunter J, Keith R, Titus DE, Becker WM (1985) Isolation of serine : glyoxylate aminotransferase from cucumber cotyledons. Plant Physiol 79: 95-102.
- Hrmova M, Fincher GB (2001) Plant enzyme structure. Explaining substrate specificity and the evolution of function. Plant Physiol 125: 54-57.
- Igarashi D, Miwa T, Seki M, Kobayashi M, Kato T, Tabata S, Shinozaki K, Ohsumi Ch (2003) Identification of photorespiratory glutamate : glyoxylate aminotransferase (GGAT) gene in Arabidopsis. Plant J 33: 975-987.
- Ireland RJ, Lea PJ (1999) The enzymes of glutamine, glutamate, asparagine, and aspartate metabolism. In Plant Amino Acids. Singh BK ed, pp 49-109. Marcel Dekker Inc. New York.
- John RA (1995) Pyridoxal phosphate-dependent enzymes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1248: 81-96.
- Kochkina VM (2000) Catalytic efficiency of subunits of the dimeric aminotransferase molecule in solution and in crystal. Mol Biol Mosk 34: 901-906.
- Kyte J, Doolittle RF (1982) A simple method for displaying the hydropathic character of a protein. J Mol Biol 157: 105-132 (http://www.ipw.agrl.ethz.ch/~Ihennig/winpep.html).
- Laemmli UK (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680-685.
- Leegood RC, Lea PJ, Adcook MD, Hausler R (1995) The regulation and control of photorespiration. J Exp Bot 46: 1397-1411.
- Liepman AH, Olsen LJ (2001) Peroxisomal alanine : glyoxylate aminotransferase (AGT1) is a photorespiratory enzyme with multiple substrates in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J 25: 487-498.
- Liepman AH, Olsen LJ (2003) Alanine aminotransferase homologs catalyze the glutamate : glyoxylate aminotransferase reaction in peroxisomes of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol 131: 215-227.
- Low PS, Somero GN (1975a) Activation volumes in enzymic catalysis: their sources and modification by low-molecular-weight solutes. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 72: 3014-3018.
- Low PS, Somero GN (1975b) Protein hydration changes during catalysis: a new mechanism of enzymes rate enhancement and ion activation/inhibition of catalysis. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 72: 3305-3309.
- Noguchi T, Hayashi S (1980) Peroxisomal localization and properties of tryptophan aminotransferase in plant leaves. J Biol Chem 255: 2267-2269.
- Orzechowski S, Socha-Hanc J, Paszkowski A (1999) Alanine aminotransferase and glycine aminotransferase from maize (Zea mays L.) leaves. Acta Biochim Polon 46: 447-457.
- Osmond CB, Badger M, Maxwell K, Bjorkman KO, Leegood RC (1997) Too many photons: photorespiration, photoinhibition and photooxidation. Trends Plant Sci 2: 119-121.
- Paszkowski A (1991) Some properties of serine : glyoxylate aminotransferase from rye seedlings (Secale cereale L.). Acta Biochim Polon 38: 437-448.
- Paszkowski A, Niedzielska A (1989) Glutamate : glyoxylate aminotransferase from the seedlings of rye (Secale cereale L.). Acta Biochim Polon 36: 17-29.
- Paszkowski A, Niedzielska A (1990) Serine : glyoxylate aminotransferase from the seedlings of rye (Secale cereale L.). Acta Biochim Polon 37: 277-82.
- Reumann S (2000) The structural properties of plant peroxisomes and their metabolic significance. Biol Chem 381: 639-648.
- Reumann S, Heupel R, Heldt HW (1994) Compartmentation studies on spinach leaf peroxisomes. Planta 193: 167-173.
- Roberts TH, Lees EM (1997) Glyoxylate aminotransferase activities in developing fruits of legumes. J Biochem Mol Biol Biophys 1: 63-71.
- Subramani S (2002) Hitchhiking fads en route to peroxisomes. J Cell Biol 156: 415-419.
- Szewczyk B, Summers DF (1988) Preparative elution of proteins blotted to immobilon membranes. Anal Biochem 168: 48-53.
- Taler D, Galperin M, Benjamin I, Cohen Y, Kenigsbuch D (2004) Plant eR genes that encode photorespiratory enzymes confer resistance against disease. Plant Cell 16: 172-184.
- Teipel JW, Koshland Jr DE (1971) Kinetic aspects of conformational changes in proteins. I. Rate of regain of enzyme activity from denatured proteins. Biochemistry 10: 792-798.
- Towbin H, Staehelin T, Gordon J (1979) Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 4350-4354.
- Truszkiewicz W, Paszkowski A (2004) Serine : glyoxylate aminotransferases from maize and wheat leaves: purification and properties. Photosynthesis Res 82: 35-47.
- Voet D, Voet JG (1995) Biochemistry, pp 141-190, John Willey and Sons, Inc. New York.
- Wilkie SE, Lambert R, Warren MJ (1996) Chloroplastic aspartate aminotransferase from Arabidopsis thaliana: an examination of the relationship beetween the structure of the gene and the spatial structure of the protein. Biochem J 319: 969-976.
- Zhang X, Roe SM, Hour Y, Bertram M, Rao Z, Pearl LH, Danpure ChJ (2003) Crystal structure of alanine : glyoxylate aminotransferase and the relationship between genotype and enzymatic phenotype in primary hyperoxaluria. J Mol Biol 331: 643-652.
Publication order reference