Temporal pattern of the induction of SF-1 gene expression by the signal transduction pathway involving 3',5'-cyclic adenosine monophosphate.
Languages of publication
The objective of our study was to investigate the effect of stimulation of the cAMP-dependent pathway on the expression of an orphan nuclear receptor, SF-1/Ad4BP in mouse adrenal tumour, Y-1 cells in culture. We evaluated the temporal pattern of the effects of corticotropin (ACTH) and the adenylyl cyclase activator forskolin on the level of SF-1 mRNA, and compared the time course of induction of SF-1 with that of CYP11A1. Forskolin, corticotropin and 8-Br-cAMP significantly elevated the level of the SF-1 transcript, after 1.5 h of incubation, with a concomitant increase of SF-1 protein level, observed after 6 h. The CYP11A1 transcript increased gradually over the incubation period, and reached the maximal level after 12 to 24 h. The steady-state level of the SF-1 transcript was unaffected by forskolin when the cells were incubated with actinomycin D, indicating that stimulation of the cAMP pathway results in enhanced transcription of the gene. The effect of forskolin was augmented by cycloheximide, suggesting that an inhibitory protein, whose synthesis was inhibited by cycloheximide, could be involved in negative regulation of SF-1 expression. It is concluded that SF-1 expression is positively regulated by the cAMP pathway at the transcriptional level, and can represent the primary event in cAMP-mediated induction of steroid hormone synthesis in Y-1 cells.
- Aesoy R, Mellgren G, Morohashi K, Lund J (2002) Activation of cAMP-dependent protein kinase increases the protein level of steroidogenic factor-1. Endocrinology 143: 295-303.
- Borud B, Hoang T, Bakke M, Jacob AL, Lund J, Mellgren G (2002) The nuclear receptor coactivators p300/CBP/cointegrator-associated protein (p/CIP) and transcription intermediary factor 2 (TIF2) differentially regulate PKA-stimulated transcriptional activity of steroidogenic factor 1. Mol Endocrinol 16: 757-773.
- Carlone DL, Richards JS (1997) Functional interactions, phosphorylation, and levels of 3’,5’-cyclic adenosine monophosphate-regulatory element binding protein and steroidogenic factor-1 mediate hormone-regulated and constitutive expression of aromatase in gonadal cells. Mol Endocrinol 11: 292-304.
- Chomczynski P, Sacchi N (1987) Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 162: 156-159.
- Crawford PA, Polish JA, Ganpule G, Sadovsky Y (1997) The activation function-2 hexamer of steroidogenic factor-1 is required, but not sufficient for potentiation by SRC-1. Mol Endocrinol 11: 1626-1635.
- Enyeart JJ, Boyd RT, Enyeart JA (1996) ACTH and AII differentially stimulate steroid hormone orphan receptor mRNAs in adrenal cortical cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol 124: 97-110.
- Hammer GD, Ingraham HA (1999) Steroidogenic factor-1: its role in endocrine organ development and differentiation. Front Neuroendocrinol 20: 199-223.
- Ito M, Yu RN, Jameson JL (1998) Steroidogenic factor-1 contains a carboxy-terminal transcriptional activation domain that interacts with steroid receptor coactivator-1. Mol Endocrinol 12: 290-301.
- Jacob AL, Lund J, Martinez P, Hedin L (2001) Acetylation of steroidogenic factor 1 protein regulates its transcriptional activity and recruits the coactivator GCN5. J Biol Chem 276: 37659-3764.
- Le Roy C, Li JY, Stocco DM, Langlois D, Saez JM (2000) Regulation by adrenocorticotropin (ACTH), angiotensin II, transforming growth factor-beta, and insulin-like growth factor I of bovine adrenal cell steroidogenic capacity and expression of ACTH receptor, steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, cytochrome P450c17, and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. Endocrinology 141: 1599-1607.
- Li LA, Chiang EF, Chen JC, Hsu NC, Chen YJ, Chung BC (1999) Function of steroidogenic factor 1 domains in nuclear localization, transactivation, and interaction with transcription factor TFIIB and c-Jun. Mol Endocrinol 13: 1588-1598.
- Liu Z, Simpson ER (1999) Molecular mechanism for cooperation between Sp1 and steroidogenic factor-1 (SF-1) to regulate bovine CYP11A gene expression. Mol Cell Endocrinol 153: 183-196.
- Monte D, DeWitte F, Hum DW (1998) Regulation of the human P450scc gene by steroidogenic factor 1 is mediated by CBP/p300. J Biol Chem 273: 4585-4591.
- Morohashi K, Zanger UM, Honda S, Hara M, Waterman MR, Omura T (1993) Activation of CYP11A and CYP11B gene promoters by the steroidogenic cell-specific transcription factor, Ad4BP. Mol Endocrinol 7: 1196-1204.
- Nomura M, Kawabe K, Matsushita S, Oka S, Hatano O, Harada N, Nawata H, Morohashi K (1998) Adrenocortical and gonadal expression of the mammalian Ftz-F1 gene encoding Ad4BP/SF-1 is independent of pituitary control. J Biochem 124: 217-224.
- Osman H, Murigande C, Nadakal A, Capponi AM (2002) Repression of DAX-1 and induction of SF-1 expression. Two mechanisms contributing to the activation of aldosterone biosynthesis in adrenal glomerulosa cells. J Biol Chem 277: 41259-41267.
- Ou Q, Mouillet JF, Yan X, Dorn C, Crawford PA, Sadovsky Y (2001) The DEAD box protein DP103 is a regulator of steroidogenic factor-1. Mol Endocrinol 15: 69-79.
- Parker KL, Schimmer BP (1997) Steroidogenic factor 1: a key determinant of endocrine development and function. Endocr Rev 18: 361-377.
- Sarkar D, Kambe F, Hayashi Y, Ohmori S, Funahashi H, Seo H (2000) Involvement of AP-1 and steroidogenic factor (SF)-1 in the cAMP-dependent induction of human adrenocorticotropic hormone receptor (ACTHR) promoter. Endocr J 47: 63-75.
- Schimmer BP, Cordova M, Tsao J, Frigeri C (2002) SF1 polymorphisms in the mouse and steroidogenic potential. Endocr Res 28: 519-525.
- Sewer MB, Waterman MR (2002) Adrenocorticotropin/cyclic adenosine 3’,5’-monophosphate-mediated transcription of the human CYP17 gene in the adrenal cortex is dependent on phosphatase activity. Endocrinology 143: 1769-1777.
- Staels B, Hum DW, Miller WL (1993) Regulation of steroidogenesis in NCI-H295 cells: a cellular model of the human fetal adrenal. Mol Endocrinol 7: 423-433.
- Wooton-Kee CR, Clark BJ (2000) Steroidogenic factor-1 influences protein-deoxyribonucleic acid interactions within the cyclic adenosine 3’,5’-monophosphate-responsive regions of the murine steroidogenic acute regulatory protein gene. Endocrinology 141: 1345-1355.
- Zhang P, Mellon SH (1996) The orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor-1 regulates the cyclic adenosine 3’,5’-monophosphate-mediated transcriptional activation of rat cytochrome P450c17 (17 alpha-hydroxylase/c17-20 lyase). Mol Endocrinol 10: 147-158.
- Zhou D, Quach KM, Yang C, Lee SY, Pohajdak B, Chen S (2000) PNRC: a proline-rich nuclear receptor coregulatory protein that modulates transcriptional activation of multiple nuclear receptors including orphan receptors SF1 (steroidogenic factor 1) and ERRα1 (estrogen related receptor α-1). Mol Endocrinol 14: 986-998.
Publication order reference