Reconstitution of ventricular myosin with atrial light chains 1 improves its functional properties.
Languages of publication
Atrial light chain 1 (ALC-1) is expressed in embryonic and hypertrophied human ventricles but not in normal adult human ventricles. We investigated the effects of recombinant human atrial light chains (hALC-1) on the structure and enzymatic activity of synthetic filaments of ventricular myosin. The endogenous ventricular myosin light chain 1 (VLC-1) was partially replaced by recombinant hALC-1 yielding hALC-1 levels of 12%, 24% and 42%. This reconstitution of ventricular myosin with hALC-1 did not change the length of synthetic myosin filaments but led to more rounded myosin heads in comparison with those of control filaments. Actin-activated ATPase activity of myosin, a parameter of functional activity of molecular motor, amounted to 79.5 nmol Pi/mg per min in control myosin filaments. Reconstitution with hALC-1 caused a profound increase of the actin-activated myosin ATPase activity in a dose dependent manner, for example, synthetic myosin filaments formed with 12%, 24% and 42% hALC-1 reconstituted myosin revealed the actin-activated ATPase activity increased by 18%, 26% and 36%, respectively, as compared to control. These results strongly suggest that in vivo expression of ALC-1 enhances ventricular myosin function, thereby contributing to cardiac compensation.
- Auckland LM, Lambert SJ, Cummins P (1986) Cardiac myosin light and heavy chain isotypes in tetralogy of Fallot. Cardiovasc Res 20: 828-863.
- Chowrashi PK, Pemrick SM, Pepe FA (1989) LC2 involvement in assembly of skeletal myosin filaments. Biochim Biophys Acta 990: 216-223.
- Clarke ML, Hofmann W, Wray JS (1986) ATP binding and crossbridge structure in muscle. J Mol Biol 191: 581-585.
- Fewell JG, Hewett T, Sanbe A, Klevitsky R, Hayes E, Warshaw D, Maughan J, Robbins J (1998) Functional significance of cardiac essential light chain isoform switching in transgenic mice. J Clin Invest 101: 2630-2639.
- Fodor WL, Darras B, Seharaseyon J, Falkenthal S, Francke U, Vanin EF (1989) Human ventricular/slow twitch myosin alkali light chain gene characterisation, sequence, and chromosomal location. J Biol Chem 264: 2143-2149.
- Frado LLY, Craig R (1989) Structural changes induced in Ca2+ regulated myosin filaments by Ca2+and ATP. J Cell Biol 109: 529-538.
- Khalina Y, Udaltsov SN, Podlubnaya ZA (2002) Changes of composition of cardiac myosin light chains in dilated cardiomyopathy: effect on functional properties. Biofizika 47: 361-366.
- Khalina YN, Shpagina MD, Malyshev SL, Podlubnaya ZA (2003) Atrial myosin light chains in modulation of the functional properties of myocardium. Biofizika 48: 900-904.
- Knight P, Trinick J (1984) Structure of the myosin projections on native thick filaments from vertebrate skeletal muscle. J Mol Biol 177: 461-482.
- Lanzetta PA, Alvarez LJ, Reinach PS, Candia OA (1979) An improved assay for nanomole amounts of inorganic phosphate. Anal Biochem 100: 95-97.
- Levine RJC (1997) Differences in myosin head arrangement on relaxed thick filaments from Lethocerus and rabbit muscles. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 18: 529-543.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NI, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Makarenko IV, Leake MC, Dussel RJ, Hajjar RJ, Linke WA (2004) Titin-isoform shift in failing DCM hearts reduces myofibrillar passive stiffness but is independent of hypertrophy signals. Biophys J 86: 207a.
- Margossian SA, White HD, Caulfield JB, Norton P, Taylor S, Slayter HS (1992) Light chain 2 profile and activity of human ventricular myosin during dilated cardiomyopathy. Circulation 85: 1720-1733.
- Margossian SS, Anderson PA, Chantler PD, Deziel M, Umeda PK, Patel H, Stafford WF, Norton P, Malhorta A, Yang F, Caulfield JB, Slayter HS (1999) Calcium regulation in the human myocardium affected by dilated cardiomyopathy: a structural basis for impaired Ca2+-sensitivity. Mol Cell Biochem 194: 301-313.
- Morano I, Hädicke K, Haase H, Böhm M, Erdmann E, Schaub MC (1997) Changes in essential myosin light chain isoform expression provide a molecular basis for isometric force regulation in the failing human heart. J Mol Cell Cardiol 29: 1177-1187.
- Morano I (1999) Tuning the human heart molecular motors by myosin light chains. J Mol Med 77: 544-555.
- Morano M, Zacharzowski U, Maier M, Lange PE, Alexi-Meskishvili V, Haase H, Morano I (1996) Regulation of human heart contractility by essential myosin light chain isoforms. J Clin Invest 98: 467-473.
- Offer G, Moos C, Starr R (1973) A new protein of thick filaments of vertebrate skeletal myofibrils. Extraction, purification and characterization. J Mol Biol 74: 653-676.
- Pardee JD, Spudich JA (1982) Purification of muscle actin. Methods Enzymol 85(B): 164-181.
- Podlubnaya Z, Kakol I, Moczarska A, Stepkowski D, Udaltsov S (1999) Calcium-induced structural changes in synthetic myosin filaments of striated muscles. J Struct Biol 127: 1-15.
- Rayment I, Rypniewski WR, Schmidt-Bäse K, Smith R, Tomchick DR, Benning MM, Winkelmann DA, Wesenberg G, Holden HM (1993) Three-dimensional structure of myosin subfragment-1: a molecular motor. Science 261: 50-58.
- Ritter O, Luther HP, Haase H, Baltas LG, Balzereit D, Baumann G, Schulte HD, Morano I (1999) Expression of atrial myosin light chains but not alpha-myosin heavy chains correlate with increased ventricular function in patients with HOCM in vivo. J Mol Med 77: 677-685.
- Sütsch G, Brunner UT, Von Schulthess C, Hirzel HO, Hess OM, Turina M, Krayenbuehl HP, Schaub MC (1992) Hemodynamic performance and myosin light chain 1 expression in the hypertrophied left ventricle in aortic valve disease before and after valve replacement. Circ Res 70: 1035-1043.
- Wagner PD, Weeds AG (1977) Studies on the role of myosin alkali light chains. Recombination and hybridization of light chains and heavy chains in subfragment-1 preparations. J Mol Biol 109: 455-473.
- Zimmermann K, Kautz S, Hajdu G, Winter C, Whalen RG, Starzinski-Powitz A (1990) Heterogenic mRNAs with an identical protein-coding region of the human embryonic myosin alkali light chain in skeletal muscle cells. J Mol Biol 211: 505-513.
Publication order reference