The occurrence of polyprenols in seeds and leaves of woody plants.
Languages of publication
The contents of the heterogenous group of polyisoprenoids was found about two orders of magnitude lower in seeds than the amount of polyprenols and/or their carboxylic esters accumulated during vegetation season in leaves. In contrast to leaves, no seeds were found containing more than 0.5 mg of these lipids per gram of dry tissue. Almost 50% had less than 0.01 mg/g - the amount which is the limit of detection by the procedure used in this work. In gymnosperms (10 representatives of Cupressaceae, Pinaceae and Taxaceae) the polyprenol spectra in seeds and in needles were similar. In angiosperms (25 representatives of 13 botanical families) the polyisoprenoid mixture in seeds resembled the minor, additional subfamily found in leaves.
- Bamba T, Fukusaki E, Kajiyama S, Ute K, Kitayama T, Kobayashi A. (2001) The occurrence of geometric polyprenol isomers in the rubber-producing plant, Eucomia ulmoides Oliver. Lipids.; 36: 727-32.
- Bamba T, Fukusaki E, Nakazawa Y, Kobayashi A. (2004) Rapid and high-resolution analysis of geometric polyprenol homologues by connected octadecylsilylated monolythic silica columns in high-performance liquid chromatography. J Sep Sci.; 27: 293-6.
- Bergamini E, Bizzari R, Cavallini G, Cerbai B, Chiellini E, Donati A, Gori Z, Manfrini A, Parentini I, Signori F, Tamburini I. (2004) Aging and oxidative stress: a role for dolichol in the antioxidant machinery of cell membranes? J Alzheimer's Dis.; 6: 129-35.
- Chojnacki T, Vogtman T. (1984) The occurrence and seasonal distribution of C30-C60-polyprenols and of C100- and similar long-chain polyprenols in leaves of plants. Acta Biochim Polon.; 31: 115-26.
- Gao XD, Nishikawa A, Dean N. (2004) Physical interaction between the Alg1, Alg2, and Alg11 mannosyltransferases in the endoplasmic reticulum. Glycobiology.; 14: 559-70.
- Hemming FW. (1992) Dolichol: a curriculum cognitionis. Biochem Cell Biol.; 70: 377-81.
- Jankowski WJ. (1987) Uptake and metabolism of exogenous polyprenols by animal cells. Chem Scripta.; 27: 5-9.
- Jankowski WJ, Chojnacki T. (1991) Long chain polyisoprenoid alcohols in leaves of Capparis species. Acta Biochim Polon.; 38: 265-76.
- Jankowski WJ, Palmarczyk G, Krajewska I, Vogtman T. (1989) Specificity of cellular processes and enzymes towards polyisoprenoids of different structure. Chem Phys Lipids.; 51: 249-59.
- Jankowski WJ, Kula-Swiezewska E, Sasak W, Chojnacki T. (1994) Occurence of polyprenols and dolichols in plants. J Plant Phys.; 143: 448-52.
- Krag SS. (1998) The importance of being dolichol. Biochem Biophys Res Commun.; 243: 1-5
- Lindgren BO. (1965) Homologous aliphatic C30-C45 terpenols in birch wood. Acta Chem Scand.; 19: 1317-26.
- Mańkowski T, Jankowski W, Chojnacki T, Franke P. (1976) C55-dolichol: occurrence in pig liver and preparation by hydrogenation of plant undecaprenol. Biochemistry.; 15: 2125-30.
- Radomińska-Pyrek A, Chojnacki T, Pyrek JS. (1979) Fully unsaturated decaprenol from bovine pituitary glands. Biochem Biophys Res Commun.; 86: 395-401.
- Ravi K, Rip JW, Carrol KK. (1984) Differences in polyisoprenoid alcohols of mono and dicotyledonous seeds. Lipids.; 19: 401-4.
- Ravi K, Rip JW, Carroll K. (1986) Regulation of levels of dolichol and dolichyl phosphate during germination and early development of soybeans. Biochim Biophys Acta.; 875: 626-32.
- Rohmer M. (1999) The discovery of mevalonate-independent pathway for isoprenoid biosynthesis in bacteria, algae and higher plants. Nat Prod Rep.; 16: 565-74.
- Rezanka T, Votruba J. (2001) Chromatography of long-chain alcohols (polyprenols) from animal and plant sources. J Chromatogr A.; 936: 95-110.
- Sasak W, Mankowski T, Chojnacki T. (1977) Heterogeneity of C55-polyprenol from leaves of Magnolia campbelli. Chem Phys Lipids.; 18: 199-204.
- Sato M, Fujisaki S, Sato K, Nishimura Y, Nakano A. (2001) Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae has two cis-prenyltransferases with different properties and localization for their distinct physiological roles in dolichol synthesis. Genes Cells.; 6: 495-506.
- Skorupińska-Tudek K, Bieńkowski T, Olszowska O, Furmanowa M, Chojnacki T, Danikiewicz W, Świeżewska E. (2003) Divergent pattern of polyisoprenoid alcohols in the tissues of Coluria geoides: a new electrospray ionization MS approach. Lipids.; 38: 981-90.
- Stone KJ, Wellburn AR, Hemming FW, Pennock JF. (1967) The characterization of ficaprenol -10, -11 and -12 from the leaves of Ficus elastica (decorative rubber plant). Biochem J.; 102: 325-30.
- Suga T, Ohta S, Nakai A, Munesada K. (1989) Glicynoprenols: novel polyprenols possessing a phytyl residue from the leaves of soybean. J Org Chem.; 54: 3390-3.
- Szkopinska A, Świeżewska E, Rytka J. (2002) Induction of the synthesis of an additional family of long chain dolichols in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Effect of starvation and ageing. Acta Biochim Polon.; 49: 781-7.
- Świeżewska E, Sasak W, Mańkowski T, Jankowski W, Vogtman T, Krajewska I, Hertel J, Skoczylas E, Chojnacki T. (1994) The search for plant polyprenols. Acta Biochim Polon.; 41: 221-60.
- Wellburn AR, Hemming FW. (1966) The occurrence and seasonal distribution of higher isoprenoid alcohols in the plant kingdom. Phytochemistry.; 5: 969-75.
Publication order reference