Thiamine prevents X-ray induction of genetic changes in human lymphocytes in vitro.
Languages of publication
The effects of thiamine (vitamin B1) on the level of spontaneous or radiation-induced genetic changes in human lymphocytes in vitro were studied. Cultured lymphocytes were exposed to increasing concentrations of thiamine (0-500 μg/ml) and irradiated with X-rays. The DNA damage was estimated as the frequency of micronuclei and apoptotic or necrotic morphological changes in fixed cells. The results show that thiamine alone did not induce genetic changes. A significant decrease in the fraction of apoptotic and necrotic cells was observed in lymphocytes irradiated in the presence of vitamin B1 at concentrations between 1-100 μg/ml compared to those irradiated in the absence of thiamine. Vitamin B1 at 1 and 10 μg/ml decreased also the extent of radiation-induced formation of micronuclei. Vitamin B1 had no effect on radiation-induced cytotoxicity as measured by nuclear division index. The results indicate that vitamin B1 protects human cells from radiation-induced genetic changes.
- Ames BN, Shigenaga MK, Hagen TM. (1993) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA.; 90: 7915-22.
- Beckman KB, Ames BN. (1998) Physiol Rev.; 78: 547-81.
- Collins AR. (1999) Bioessays.; 21: 238-56.
- Draper HH. (1998) J Nutr.; 118: 1420-1.
- Dusińska M, Kazimirowa A, Barancokova M, Beno M, Smolkowa B, Horska A, Raslova K, Wsolova L, Collins AR. (2003) Mutagenesis.; 18: 371-7.
- Fenech M, Morley AA. (1985) Mutat Res.; 147: 29-36.
- Fenech M, Crott J, Turner J, Brown S. (1999) Mutagenesis.; 14: 605-12.
- Heinrich E, Getoff N. (2002) Anticancer Res.; 22: 927-30.
- Hu ML, Chen TK, Lin YF. (1995) Chem-Biol Interact.; 97: 63-73.
- Jaruga P, Jaruga B, Gackowski D, Olczak A, Halota W, Pawłowska M, Oliński R. (2002) Free Radic Biol Med.; 32: 414-20.
- Konopacka M, Rzeszowska-Wolny J. (2001) Mutat Res.; 491: 1-7.
- Konopacka M, Widel M, Rzeszowska-Wolny J. (1998) Mutat Res.; 417: 85-94.
- Konopacka M, Palyvoda O, Rzeszowska-Wolny J. (2002) Teratogenesis Carcinog Mutagen.; 22: 443-50.
- Sarma L, Kesavan PC. (1993) Int J Radiat Biol.; 63: 759-64.
- Singh NP. (1997) Mutat Res.; 375: 195-203.
Publication order reference