Immunodetection of surfactant proteins in human organ of Corti, Eustachian tube and kidney.
Languages of publication
The presence of surfactant proteins was investigated in the human organ of Corti, Eustachian tube and kidney tissues. It has previously been shown that lamellar bodies are present in hairy cells of organ of Corti, in the cytoplasm of secretory and lumen of tubal glands of Eustachian tube and kidney renal basement membrane. No evidence for the presence of surfactant proteins in the organ of Corti and kidney has been presented until now. The aim of this study was to find out if surfactant proteins were expressed in other epithelia such as organ of Corti, Eustachian tube and kidney. Surfactant proteins were identified using one-dimensional sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and Western blotting. On one-dimensional Western blots, bands for surfactant protein A in human Eustachian tube (SP-A, 34 kDa) and in kidney extracts, and for surfactant protein D (SP-D, 43 kDa) in Eustachian tube and in kidney extracts (SP-D, 86 kDa), and for surfactant protein B (SP-B, 8 kDa) in human Eustachian tubeand organ of Corti extracts were detected. Bands corresponded to monomeric forms of lung surfactant proteins. These results indicate the presence of SP-A and SP-D in kidney epithelium, SP-A, SP-B and SP-D in Eustachian tube and SP-B in the organ of Corti.
- Alcorn JL, Chen Q, Boggaram V, Mendelson CR. (1992) Expression and transport of rabbit surfactant protein A in COS-1 cells. Am J Physiol.; 262: L437-45.
- Billis A. (1994) Bladder malacoplakia in a patient on chronic hemodialysis waiting for kidney transplantation. Nephron.; 67: 127-38.
- Chailley-Heu B, Rubio S, Rougier JP, Ducroc R, Barlier-Mur AM, Ronco P, Bourbon JR. (1997) Expression of hydrophilic surfactant proteins by mesentery cells in rat and man. Biochem J.; 328: 251-6.
- Eliakim R, Deschryver-Kecskemeti K, Nogee L, Stenson WF, Alpers DH. (1989) Isolation and characterization of a small intestinal surfactant-like particle containing alkaline phosphatase and other digestive enzymes. J Biol Chem.; 264: 20614-9.
- Eliakim R, Goetz GS, Rubio S, Chailley-Heu B, Shao JS, Ducroc R, Alpers DH. (1997) Isolation and characterization of surfactant-like particles in rat and human colon. Am J Physiol.; 272: G425-34.
- Fisher JH, Emrie PA, Shannon J, Sano K, Hattler B, Mason RJ. (1988) Rat pulmonary surfactant protein A is expressed as two differently sized mRNA species which arise from differential polyadenylation of one transcript. Biochim Biophys Acta.; 950: 338-45.
- Fisher JH, Mason RJ. (1995) Expression of pulmonary surfactant protein D in rat gastric mucosa. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol.; 12: 13-8.
- Glasser SW, Korfhagen TR, Weaver T, Pilot-Matias T, Fox JL, Whitsett JA. (1987) cDNA and deduced amino acid sequence of human pulmonary surfactant-associated proteolipid SPL (Phe). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.; 84: 4007-11.
- Haagsman HP, Sargeant T, Hauschka PV, Benson BJ, Hawgood S. (1990). Binding of calcium to SP-A, a surfactant-associated protein. Biochemistry.; 29: 8894-900.
- Harada Y, Sakai T, Tagashira N, Suzuki M. (1986) Intracellular structure of the outer hair cell of the organ of Corti. Scan Electron Microsc.; 2: 531-5.
- Hiraike N, Sohma H, Kuroki Y, Akino T. (1995) Epitope mapping for monoclonal antibody against human surfactant protein A (SP-A) that alters receptor binding of SP-A and the SP-A-dependent regulation of phospholipid secretion by alveolar type II cells. Biochim Biophys Acta.; 1257: 214-22.
- Hodges KB, Penny JE, Brown RD, Henley CM. (1984) Scanning electron microscopy of the cochlea in rats with Streptococcus pneumoniae otitis media. Arch Otolaryngol.; 110: 429-36.
- King RJ, Klass DJ, Gikas EG, Clements JA. (1973) Isolation of apoproteins from canine surface active material. Am J Physiol.; 224: 788-95.
- Kobayashi K, Yamanaka N, Kataura A, Ohtani S, Saito T, Akino T. (1992) Presence of an 80 kilodalton protein, cross-reacted with monoclonal antibodies to pulmonary surfactant protein A, in the human middle ear. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol.; 101: 491-5.
- Kodama H, Asakura K. (1993) Role of surface tension lowering substances in the function of normal and diseased eustachian tubes of guinea pigs. Nippon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho.; 96: 674-84.
- Kuroki Y, Mason RJ, Voelker DR. (1988) Alveolar type II cells express a high-affinity receptor for pulmonary surfactant protein A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.; 85: 5566-70.
- Laemmli UK. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature.; 227: 680-5.
- LeVine AM, Whitsett JA, Gwozdz JA, Richardson TR, Fisher JH, Burhans MS, Korfhagen TR. (2000) Distinct effects of surfactant protein A or D deficiency during bacterial infection on the lung. J Immunol.; 165: 3934-40.
- Liau DF, Ryan SF. (1991) Purification of surfactant protein A from dog lung by reconstitution with surfactant lipids. Chem Phys Lipids.; 59: 29-38.
- Lu J, Willis AC, Reid KB. (1992) Purification, characterization and cDNA cloning of human lung surfactant protein D. Biochem J.; 284: 795-802.
- Mira E, Benazzo M, De Paoli F, Casasco A, Calligaro A. (1997) Surfactants of the airways. Critical review and personal research. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital.; 17: 3-16.
- Motwani M, White RA, Guo N, Dowler LL, Tauber AI, Sastry KN. (1995) Mouse surfactant protein-D. cDNA cloning, characterization, and gene localization to chromosome 14. J Immunol.; 155: 5671-7.
- Murata Y, Kuroki Y, Akino T. (1993) Role of the C-terminal domain of pulmonary surfactant protein A in binding to alveolar type II cells and regulation of phospholipid secretion. Biochem J.; 291: 71-6.
- Ormos J. (1995) Concentric lamellar bodies in renal basement membranes. Ultrastruct Pathol.; 19: 515-7.
- Paananen R, Glumoff V, Hallman M. (1999) Surfactant protein A and D expression in the porcine Eustachian tube. FEBS Lett.; 452: 141-4.
- Paananen R, Glumoff V, Sormunen R, Voorhout W, Hallman M. (2001) Expression and localization of lung surfactant protein B in Eustachian tube epithelium. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol.; 280: L214-20.
- Ramet M, Lofgren J, Alho OP, Hallman M. (2001) Surfactant protein-A gene locus associated with recurrent otitis media. J Pediatr.; 138: 266-8.
- Rubio S, Lacaze-Masmonteil T, Chailley-Heu B, Kahn A, Bourbon JR, Ducroc R. (1995) Pulmonary surfactant protein A (SP-A) is expressed by epithelial cells of small and large intestine. J Biol Chem.; 270: 12162-9.
- Taneva SG, Keough KM. (2000) Differential effects of surfactant protein A on regional organization of phospholipid monolayers containing surfactant protein B or C. Biophys J.; 79: 2010-3.
- Vamvakopoulos NC, Modi WS, Floros J. (1995) Mapping the human pulmonary surfactant-associated protein B gene (SFTP3) to chromosome 2p12-->p11.2. Cytogenet Cell Genet.; 68: 8-10.
Publication order reference