Cytokine action and oxidative stress response in differentiated neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells.
Languages of publication
In the retinoic acid-differentiated neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells, IL-1 induced binding activity of NFκB and up-regulated the expression and activity of MnSOD. The IL-1-elicited effects were partly reversed by IL-4 and IL-6. It is proposed that IL-4 and IL-6 may participate in the regulation of the imbalanced oxidant status induced by IL-1 in differentiated neuroblastoma cells. In the SH-SY5Y cell line, TNFα neither activated NFκ nor induced MnSOD expression and activity, but was capable of modulating the IL-1 effects. Pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate (PDTC), an inhibitor of NFκB activation, down-regulated the expression and activity of MnSOD, which may suggest that the regulation of MnSOD by IL-1 in retinoic acid-differentiated neuroblastoma cells was mediated by the nuclear factor κB.
- Antras-Ferry J, Maheo K, Morel F, Guillouzo A, Cillard P, Cillard J. (1997) Dexamethasone differently modulates TNFα and IL-1β-induced transcription of the hepatic Mn-superoxide dismutase gene. FEBS Lett.; 403: 100-1.
- Ahlemeyer B, Bauerbach E, Plath M, Steuber M, Heers C, Tegtmeier, Kriegstein J. (2001) Retinoic acid reduces apoptosis and oxidative stress by preservation of SOD protein level. Free Radic Biol Med.; 30: 1067-77.
- Bian X, Opipari AW, Ratanaproeksa AB, Boitano AE, Lucas PVP. (2002) Constitutively active NF-kappaB is required for the survival of neuroblastoma. J Biol Chem.; 277: 42144-50.
- Bowie AG, O'Neill LA. (2000) Oxidative stress and nuclear factor-kappa B. Biochem Pharmacol.; 59: 13-23.
- Bowie AG, Moynagh PN, O'Neill LAJ. (1997) Lipid peroxidation is involved in the activation of NFκB by tumor necrosis factor but not IL-1 in the human endothelial cell line ECV304. J Biol Chem.; 272: 25941-50.
- Chen Y, Chan PH, Swanson RA. (2001) Astrocytes overexpressing Cu,Zn superoxide dismutase have increased resistance to oxidative injury. Glia.; 33: 343-7.
- Chomczynski P, Sacchi N. (1987) Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem.; 162: 156-7.
- Cisowski J, Zarębski A, Koj A. (2002) IL-1 mediated inhibition of IL-6-induced STAT3 activation is modulated by IL-4, MAP kinase inhibitor and redox state of HepG2 cells. Folia Histochem Cytobiol.; 40: 341-5.
- Erlejman AG, Oteiza PI. (2002) The oxidant defense system in human neuroblastoma IMR predifferentiation and postdifferentiation to neuronal phenotype. Neurochem Res.; 27: 1499-506.
- Fiebich BL, Mueksch B, Boehringer M, Hull M. (2000) Interleukin-1β induces cyclooxygenase-2 and prostaglandin E2 synthesis in human neuroblastoma cells: Involvement of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and nuclear factor-κB. J Neurochem.; 75: 2020-8.
- Flanagan SW, Anderson RD, Ross MA, Oberley LW. (2002) Overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase attenuates neuronal death in human cells expressing mutant (G37R) Cu/Zn-superoxide dismutase. J Neurochem.; 81: 170-7.
- Israel A. (2000) The IKK complex: an integrator of all signals that activate NFκB? Trends Cell Biol.; 10: 129-33.
- Jenner P. (2003) Oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol.; 53 Suppl 3: S26-36.
- Karin M, Lin A. (2002) NFκB at the crossroads of life and death. Nat Immunol.; 3: 221-7.
- Kiningham KK, Xu Y, Daosukho C, Popova B, St Clair DK. (2001) Nuclear factor κB-dependent mechanisms coordinate the synergistic effect of PMA and cytokines on the induction of superoxide dismutase 2. Biochem J.; 353: 147-56.
- Klegeris A, McGeer PL. (2001) Inflammatory cytokine levels are influenced by interactions between THP-1 monocytic, U-373 MG astrocytic, and SH-SY5Y neuronal cell lines of human origin. Neurosci Lett.; 313: 41-4.
- Klein JA, Ackerman SL. (2003) Oxidative stress, cell cycle, and neurodegeneration. J Clin Invest.; 111: 785-93.
- Luo G, Yu-Lee L. (2000) Stat5b inhibits NFκB mediated signaling. Mol Endocrinol.; 14: 114-21.
- Neuroinflammation Working Group. (2000) Inflammation and Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging.; 21: 383-421.
- Nobel CSI, Kimland M, Lind B, Orrenius S, Slater AFG. (1995) Dithiocarbamates induce apoptosis in thymocytes by raising the intracellular level of redox-active copper. J Biol Chem.; 270: 26202-8.
- Pahl HL. (1999) Activators and target genes of Rel/NFB transcription factors. Oncogene.; 18: 6853-66.
- Pong K. (2003) Oxidative stress in neurodegenerative diseases: therapeutic implications for superoxide dismutase mimetics. Expert Opin Biol Ther.; 3: 127-39.
- Rogers RJ, Monnier JM, Nick HS. (2001) Tumor necrosis factor-α selectively induces MnSOD expression via mitochondria-to-nucleus signaling, whereas interleukin-1β utilizes an alternative pathway. J Biol Chem.; 276: 20419-27.
- Scheibe RJ, Wagner JA. (1992) Retinoic acid regulates both expression of the nerve growth factor receptor and sensitivity to nerve growth factor. J Biol Chem.; 267: 17611-6.
- Suzuki YJ, Mizuno M, Packer L. (1994) Signal transduction for nuclear factor κB activation. Proposed location of antioxidant-inhibitable step. J Immunol.; 153: 5008-15.
- Wong GHW. (1995) Protective roles of cytokines against radiation induction of mitochondrial MnSOD. Biochim Biophys Acta.; 1271: 205-9.
- Xu Y, Kiningham KK, Devalaraja MN, Yeh CC, Majima H, Kasarskis EJ, St Clair DK. (1999) An intronic NF-kappa B element is essential for induction of the human manganese superoxide dismutase gene by tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1 beta. DNA Cell Biol.; 18: 709-22.
- Yabe T, Wilson D, Schwartz JP. (2001) NFκB activation is required for the neuroprotective effect of pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) on cerebellar granule neurons. J Biol Chem.; 276: 43313-19.
- Yu VC, Hochhaus G, Chang FH, Richards ML, Bourne HR, Sadee W. (1988) Differentiation of human neuroblastoma cells: marked potentiation of prostaglandin E-stimulated accumulation of cyclic AMP by retinoic acid. J Neurochem.; 51: 1892-9.
Publication order reference