Cloning and characterization of a Schistosoma mansoni 1H and 30S clones as two tegumental vaccine candidate antigens
Languages of publication
Two Schistosoma mansoni cDNA clones 30S and 1H were identified by immunoscreening of sporocyst λgt11 library and by random sequencing of clones from λZap libraries, respectively. Clone 30S was one of 30 clones identified by an antibody raised against tegument of 3-h schistosomules. The clone was found to encode an 81 amino-acid protein fragment. It was expressed in Escherichia coli as a fusion protein of calculated molecular mass of about 35 kDa with C-terminus of Schistosoma japonicum glutathione-S-transferase (Sj26; about 26 kDa). The recombinant fusion protein was specifically recognized by serum of rabbits immunized with irradiated cercariae. Clone 1H is one of 76 expressed sequence tags derived from an adult worm library. It encodes the complete sequence of a tegumental membrane protein, Sm13. The 104 amino-acid open reading frame encodes a protein with a calculated molecular mass of about 11.9 kDa. Clone 1H was expressed in E. coli as an insoluble fusion protein with Sj26 of about 40 kDa. In Western blots, the fusion protein was recognized by serum from rabbits vaccinated with irradiated cercariae but not by preimmune rabbit sera. The cloning, characterization and expression of those proteins are therefore potentially usefull for vaccine development.
- Abath FCG, Hagan P, Jeffs SA, Simpson AJG. (1994) Partial characterization and kinetics of expression of Sm15, a Schistosoma mansoni tegumental antigen. Parasitol Res.; 80: 64-9.
- Abath FCG, Fredrerico EM, Raynond A, Yara MG, Norma L, Marcilio B, Andrew JG, Simpson AJG. (2000) Characterization of Sm13, a tegumental antigen of Schistosoma mansoni. Parasitol Res.; 86: 745-52.
- Altschul SF, Gish W, Miller W, Meyers EW, Lipman DJ. (1990) Basic local alignment search tool. J Mol Biol.; 215: 403-10.
- Bergquist R. (1993) Schistosomiasis. In Tropical disease research progress 1991-1992. pp 29-36. 11th programme report of the UNDP & World Bank/ WHO.
- Bogitsh BJ, Cheng TC. (1990) Blood flukes. In Human parasitology. Bogitsh BJ, Cheng TC. eds. pp 193-210. Saunders College Pub.
- Frandsen F. (1979) Studies of the relationship between Schistosoma mansoni and their intermediate hostsIII. The genus Biomphalaira and Schistosoma mansoni from Egypt, Kenya, Sudan, Uganda, West Indies (St. Lucia) and Zaire (two different strains: Katanga and Kinshasa). J Helminthol.; 53: 321-48.
- Keung WL, Shalaby KF, Medhat AM, Hong SQY, Karim AM, LoVerde PT. (1995) S.mansoni: characterization of a gene encoding Sm23, an integral membrane protein. Exp Parasitol.; 80: 155-8.
- Kiang D, Ghazalie NE, Medhat AM, Abdel-Fatah M, Karim, AM, LoVerde PT. (1996) Identification and characterization of Schistosoma mansoni p17.7, a cyclophilin. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 76: 73-82.
- King D, Karim AM, LoVerde PT. (1996) Cloning the gene encoding Schistosoma mansoni p50, an immunophilin. Gene.; 170: 137-40.
- Knight MC, Kelly V, Rodrigues X, Yi A, Smither W, Simpson AJG. (1989) A cDNA clone encoding part of major 5000-dalton surface membrane antigen of adult. Schistosoma mansoni. Parasitol Res.; 75: 280-6.
- Mohamed MM, Shalaby KF, LoVerde PT, Karim AM. (1998a) Characterization of Sm20.8, a member of schistosome tegumental antigens. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 96: 15-25.
- Mohamed MR, Mohamed MM, Shalaby KA, Karim AM. (1998b) The primary structure of Smansoni ribosomal protein L37a. Egyp J Biochem.; 16: 38-43.
- Mohamed MR, Shalaby KA, Abdellah NM, LoVerde PT, Karim AM. (2000) Schistosoma mansoni myosin heavy chain: characterization of an immunoractive fragment with vaccine potential. N Egypt J Med.; 22: 297-303.
- Osman A, Kian D, LoVerde PT, Karim AM. (1995) S. mansoni: characterization of p50, an immunophilin. Exp Parasitol.; 80: 550-9.
- Saiki PK, Gelfand DH, Stoffel S, Scharf SJ, Higuchi R, Horn GT, Mullis KB, Erlich HA. (1988) Primer-directed enzymatic amplification of DNA with a thermostable DNA polymerase. Science.; 239: 487-91.
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T. (1989) Molecular cloning. A laboratory manual. 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, NY.
- Sanger F, Nicklen S, Coulson AR. (1977) DNA sequencing with chain termination inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.; 74: 5463-6.
- Simpson AJG. (1990) Schistosoma surface antigens: developmental expression and immunological function. Parasitol Today.; 6: 40-5.
- Smithers SR, Hachett F, Omer AP, Simpson AJG. (1989) Protective immunization of mice against S. mansoni with purified adult worm surface membranes. Parasite Immunol.; 11: 301-18.
- Smithers SR, Hackett F, Braga V, Simpson AJG. (1990) Immunoblotting identifies additional antigens recognized by mice protectively vaccinated with adult Schistosoma mansoni tegumental membranes. Parasitol Res.; 76: 454-6.
- Smith DB, Johnson KS. (1988) Single-step purification of polypeptides expressed in E. coli as fusions with glutathione S-transferase. Gene.; 67: 31-40.
- Stein LD, David JR. (1986) Cloning of a developmentally regulated tegument antigen of schistosoma mansoni. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 20: 253-64.
- Tabor S, Richardson CC. (1989) Selective inactivation of the exonuclease activity of bacteriophage T7 DNA polymerase by in vitro mutagenesis. J Biol Chem.; 264: 6447-58.
- Towbin H, Staehelin T, Gordon J. (1979) Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.; 76: 4350-4.
- WHO (1993) The control of schistosomiasis. 2nd report of the WHO expert committee. Technical report series 830. WHO, Geneva.
- Waine GJ, Becker MM, Scott JC, Kalinma BH, Yang W, McMarus DP. (1994) Purification of a recombinat Schistosoma japonicum antigen homologous to the 22-kDa membrane-associated antigen of S. mansoni, a putative vaccine candidate against schistosomiasis. Gene.; 142: 259-63.
- Xiaochuan XC, Jean-Marie G, Raymond P, Mireille R, Frederic M, Farid Z, Jean-Pierre D, Simone P, Jinli L, Josette F, Sophia L, Andre C, Lille CF. (1997) Expression of a S.mansoni 28-kDa glutathione S-transferase in the livers of transgenic mice and its effect on parasite infection. Infect Immun.; 65: 3867-74.
- Young RA, Davis RW. (1983) Efficient isolation of genes by using antibody probes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.; 80: 1194-8.
Publication order reference