Analysis of Schistosoma mansoni genes using the expressed sequence Tag approach.
Languages of publication
Expressed sequence tags (ESTs) are partial cDNA sequences read from both ends of random expressed gene fragments used for discovering new genes. DNA libraries from four different developmental stages of Schistosoma mansoni used in this study generated 141 ESTs representing about 2.5% of S. mansoni sequences in dbEST. Sequencing was done by the dideoxy chain termination method. The sequences were submitted to GenBank for homology searching in nonredundant databases using Basic Local Alignment Search Tool for DNA (BLASTN) alignment and for protein (BLASTX) alignment at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). Among submitted ESTs, 29 were derived from λgt11 sporocyst library, 70 from λZap adult worm library, 31 from λZap cercarial library, and 11 from λZap female B worm library. Homology search revealed that eight (5.6%) ESTs shared homology to previously identified S. mansoni genes in dbEST, 15 (10.6%) are homologous to known genes in other organisms, 116 (81.7%) showed no significant sequence homology in the databases, and the remaining sequences (2.1%) showed low homologies to rRNA or mitochondrial DNA sequences. Thus, among the 141 ESTs studied, 116 sequences are derived from noval, uncharactarized S. mansoni genes. Those 116 ESTs are important for identification of coding regions in the sequences, helping in mapping of schistosome genome, and identifying genes of immunological and pharmacological significance.
- Abath GC, Fredrerico EM, Xavier RA, Yara MG, Norma L, Marcilio B, Simpson JG. (2000) Characterization of Sm13, a tegumental antigen of Schistosoma mansoni. Exp Parasitol.; 19: 12-9.
- Adams MD, Kelley JM, Gocayne JD, Dubnick M, Polymeropoulos MH, Xiao H, Merril CR, Wu A, Olide B, Moreno RF, Kerlavage AR, McCobie WR, Venter C. (1991) Complementary DNA sequencing: expressed sequence tags and human genome project. Science.; 252: 1651-6.
- Ausubel FM, Brent R, Kingston RE, Moore DD, Sadman JG, Smith JA, Struhl K, Albright LM, Coen DM, Vaki A. (1995) Informatics for molecular biologist. In Current protocols in molecular biology. Ausubel FM, Brent R, Kingston RE, et al. eds, Chap 19, John Wiley.
- Baxevanis AD, Boguski MS, Ouellette BF. (1996) Computational analysis and annotation of sequence data. In Genome analysis: a laboratory manual. Birren B, Green E, Hieter P, Klapholz S, Myers R. (eds).
- Bergquist R. (1993) Schistosomiasis. In Tropical disease research progress 1991-1992, 11th programme report of the UNDP/World Bank/WHO, pp. 29-36.
- Boguski MS, Lowe TM, Tolstoshev CM. (1993) dbEST - database for expressed sequence tags. Nat Genet.; 4: 332-3.
- Breen GA. (1988) The major parasite surface antigen associated with human resistance to schistosomiasis is a 37-kD glyceraldehyde-3P- dehydrogenase. J Exp Med.; 170: 2065-80.
- Bruce JL, Sandra Z, John MW. (2000) Ecological factor in schistosome transmission, and an environmentally benign method for controlling snails in recreational lake with a record of schistosome. Dermatitis.; 49: 9-17.
- Feng XG, Lin JJ, Zhu JG, Zhang L, Yuan CX, Cai YM. (2002) Protective effect induced by vaccination with a partial cDNA expression library of Schistosoma japonicum in mice. Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao.; 18: 231-4.
- Finken M, Sobek A, Symmons P, Kunz W. (1994) Characterization of the complete protein disulfide isomerase gene of Schistosoma mansoni and identification of the tissues of its expression. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 64: 135-44.
- Franco GR, Valadao AF, Azevedo V, Rabelo EM. (2000) The Schistosoma gene discovery program: state of the art. Int J Parasitol.; 30: 453-63.
- Frandsen F. (1979) Studies of the relationship between Schistosoma mansoni and their intermediate hosts III the genus Biomphalaira and Schistosoma mansoni from Egypt, Kenya, Sudan, Uganda, West Indies (St. Lucia) and Zaire (two different strains: Katanga and Kinshasa). J Helminthol.; 53: 321-48.
- Cohen MM, Emanuel BS. (1994) Expressed Sequence Tags. Science.; 266: 1790-1.
- Gerhold D, Caskey CT. (1996) It's the genes! EST access to human genome content. BioEssays.; 18: 973-81.
- Ghazalie NE, Kiang D, Medhat AM, Abdel-Fatah M, Karim AM, LoVerde PT. (1996) Identification and characterization of Schistosoma mansoni p177, a cyclophilin. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 76: 73-82.
- Grossman Z, Ram D, Markovies,A, et al. (1990) Sm: stage specific expression of muscle-specific genes. Exp Parasitol.; 70: 62-71.
- Hart DL. (1996) EST! EST!! EST!!! BioEssays.; 18: 1021-3.
- Jeffs SA, Hagan P, Allen R, Oliveira CR, Smithers SR, Simpson AJG. (1991) Molecular cloning and characterization of the 22 kDa adult Schistosoma mansoni recognized by antibodies from mice protectively vaccinated with isolated tegumental surface membranes. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 46: 159-68.
- Keung WL, Shalaby KF, Amina MM, Hong SY, Karim AM, LoVerde PT. (1995) Schistosoma mansoni: characterization of gene encoding Sm23 an integral membrane protein. Exp Parasitol.; 80: 155-8.
- Mohamed MM, Shalaby KF, LoVerde PT, Karim AM. (1998) Characterization of Sm208, a member of a family schistosome tegumental antigens. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 96: 15-25.
- Mohamed MR, Shalaby KF, Abdellah NM, LoVerde PT, Karim AM. (2000) Schistosoma mansoni Myosin heavy chain: characterization of an immunoreactive fragment with vaccine potential New Egypt J Med.; 22: 297-303.
- Oliveira GC, Kemp WM. (1995) Cloning of two actin genes from Schistosoma mansoni. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 75: 119-22.
- Osman A, Kian D, LoVerde PT, Karim AM. (1995) Schistosoma mansoni: characterization of p50, an immunophilin. Exp Parasitol.; 80: 550-9.
- Saiki RK, Gelfand DH, Stoffel S, Scharf SJ, Higuchi R, Horn GT, Mullis KB, Erlich HA. (1988) Primer-directed enzymatic amplification of DNA with thermostable DNA polymerase. Science.; 239: 487-91.
- Sanger F, Nichlen S, Coulson AR. (1977) DNA sequencing with chain terminating inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.; 74: 5463-7.
- Skelly PJ, Shoemaker CB. (1995) A molecular genetic study of the variations in metabolic function during schistosome development. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz.; 90: 281-4.
- Simpson AJ, Knight M, Kelly C, Hackett F, Omer-Ali P, Smithers SR. (1987) The cloning of schistosome antigens. Acta Trop Suppl.; 12:83-9.
- Simpson AJG. (1990) Schistosoma surface antigens: developmental expression and immunological function. Parasitol Today.; 6: 40-5.
- Taylor DW. (1991) Schistosoma vaccine. Experientia.; 47: 152-7.
- Young RA, Davis RW. (1983) Yeast RNA polymerase II genes: isolation with antibody probes. Science.; 222: 778-81.
Publication order reference