An approach based on diffusion to study ligand-macromolecule interaction.
Languages of publication
A new approach has been developed to study binding of a ligand to a macromolecule based on the diffusion process. In terms of the Fick's first law, the concentration of free ligand in the presence of a protein can be determined by the measurement of those ligands which are diffused out. This method is applied to the study of binding of methyl-orange to lysozyme in phosphate buffer of pH 6.2, at 30°C. The binding isotherm was determined initially, followed by application of the Hill equation to the data obtained, then binding constant and binding capacity were estimated.
- Adams ET, Filmer DL. (1966) Sedimentation equilibrium in reacting systems. IV. Verification of the theory. Biochemistry.; 5: 2971-85.
- Andreu JM. (1985) Measurment of protein-ligand interaction by gel chromatography. Methods Enzymol.; 117: 346-54.
- Aramini JM, Hiroaki T, Ke Y, Nitta K, Hogel J, (1995) Cadmium-113 NMR studies of bovine and human a-lactalbumin and equine lysozyme. J Biochem.; 117: 623-7.
- Cann JR, Hinman ND. (1976) Hummel-dreyer gel chromatographic procedure as applied to ligand-mediated association. Biochemistry.; 15: 4614-22.
- Denier RC, Wiliamis JW. (1970) Ultracentrifuge; past and present. Biochemistry.; 9: 4260-6.
- Gram TE. (1990) Binding of drug to plasma protein. In Modern pharmacology. Raig GR, Stitzel RE. eds, 3rd edn, pp 33-5. Little Brown, Boston.
- Jones MN, Brass A. (1990) Interaction between small amphipatic molecules and proteins. In Food polymer, gels and colloids. Dickinson E. ed, pp 65-80. Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge.
- Maria PG, Antonella R. (1992) Plasma and tissue binding. J Clin Pharmacokinet.; 23: 449-66.
- Palmer KJ, Ballantyne M, Calvin JA. (1948) The molecular weight of lysozyme determined by x-ray diffraction method. J Am Chem Soc.; 70: 906-8.
- Sophianopoulos AJ, Vanholde KE. (1961) Evidence for dimerization of lysozyme in alkalin. Solution. J Biol Chem.; 236: pc82-pc3.
- Sophianopoulos AJ, Vanholde KE. (1964) Evidence for dimerization of lysozyme in alkaline solution. J Biol Chem.; 239: 2516-24.
- Vanholde KE. (1985) Multiple Equilibria. Physical Biochemistry. 2nd edn, pp 63-72. Prentice-Hall.
Publication order reference