Changes in antioxidant status of heart muscle tissue in experimental diabetes in rabbits.
Languages of publication
The present study was designed to evaluate the oxidative stress-related parameters in alloxan-induced diabetes in rabbits. After 3, 6, 12 and 24 weeks of hyperglycaemia the enzymatic and non-enzymatic factors were measured in heart tissue of diabetic and control groups. Superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activities and the contents of total sulfhydryl compounds significantly increased at all time intervals. Catalase activity increased initially (after 3 and 6 weeks), decreased after 12 weeks and increased again at the 24th week of the experiment. Glutathione reductase activity increased initially (at 3rd week), decreased below control level after 6 and 12 weeks, then increased again. Ascorbic acid concentration decreased after 3 and 6 weeks, and increased at the 12th and 24th weeks. The level of lipid peroxidation products was reduced after 3, 6 and 12 weeks of the experiment. After 24 weeks it was significantly elevated. These data suggest that hyperglycaemia induces oxidative stress in the heart but the defense mechanisms in the heart tissue are fairly efficacious against oxidative injury.
- Aebi H. (1984) Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol.; 105: 121-6.
- Akkus I, Kalak S, Vural H, Caglayan O, Menekse E, Can G, Durmus B. (1996) Leukocyte lipid peroxidation, superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and serum and leukocyte vitamin C levels of patients with type II diabetes mellitus. Clin Chim Acta.; 244: 221-7.
- Bonnefont-Rousselot D, Bastard JP, Delattre J. (2000) Consequences of the diabetic status on the oxidant/antioxidant balance. Diabetes Metab.; 26: 163-76.
- Doi K, Sawada F, Toda G, Yamachika S, Seto S, Urata Y, Sakata N, Tanigchi N, Kondo T, Yano K. (2001) Alteration of antioxidants during the progression of heart disease in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Free Radic Res.; 34: 251-61.
- Ellman GL. (1959) Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys.; 82: 70-7.
- Giugliano D, Ceriello A. (1996) Oxidative stress and diabetic vascular complications. Diabetes Care.; 19: 257-67.
- Inouye M, Hashimoto H, Mio T, Sumino K. (1998) Levels of lipid peroxidation product and glycated hemoglobin A1c in the erythrocytes of diabetic patients. Clin Chim Acta.; 276: 163-72. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?filters=&orig_db=PubMed&cmd=Search&term=Clin+Chim+Acta[jour]+AND+276[volume]+AND+163[page]
- Inouye M, Mio T, Sumino K. (1999) Link between glycation and lipooxidation in red blood cells in diabetes. Clin Chim Acta.; 285: 35-44.
- Jakus V. (2000) The role of free radicals, oxidative stress and antioxidant systems in diabetic vascular disease. Bratisl Lek Listy.; 101: 541-51.
- Kakkar R, Mantha SV, Kalra J, Prasad K. (1996) Time course study of oxidative stress in aorta and heart of diabetic rat. Clin Sci.; 91: 441-8.
- Kowluru RA., Engerman RL, Kern, TS. (2000) Diabetes-induced metabolic abnormalities in myocardium: effect of antioxidant therapy. Free Radic Res.; 32: 67-74.
- Kyaw A. (1978) A simple colorimetric method for ascorbic acid determination in blood plasma. Clin Chim Acta.; 86: 153-67.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL., Randall RJ. (1951) Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem.; 193: 265-7.
- Mak DH, Ip SP, Poon MK, Ko KM. (1996) Alterations in tissue glutathione antioxidant system in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Mol Cell Biochem.; 162: 153-8.
- Matkovics B, Sasvari M, Kotorman M, Varga IS, Hai DQ, Varga C. (1997/1998) Further prove on oxidative stress in alloxan diabetic rat tissues. Acta Physiol Hung.; 85: 183-92.
- Opoka-Winiarska V. (2001) Impaired metabolism and effects of vitamin C supplementation on diabetes. Diabetol Pol.; 7: 208-11.
- Parinandi NL, Thompson EW, Schmid HHO. (1990) Diabetic heart and kidney exhibit increased resistance to lipid peroxidation. Biochim Biophys Acta.; 1047: 63-9.
- Stefek M, Sotnikova R, Okruhlicova L, Volkovova K, Kucharska J, Gajdosik A, Gajdosikova A, Michalova D, Hozova R, Tribulova N, Gvozdjakova A. (2000) Effect of dietary supplementation with the pyridoindole antioxidant stobadine on antioxidant state and ultrastructure of diabetic rat myocardium. Acta Diabetol.; 37: 111-7.
- Sun F, Iwaguchi K, Shudo R, Nagaki Y, Tanaka K, Ikeda K, Tokumaru S, Kojo S. (1999) Change in tissue concentrations of lipid hydroperoxides, vitamin C and vitamin E in rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Clin Sci.; 96: 185-90.
- Tatsuki R, Satoh K, Yamamoto A, Hoshi K, Ichihara K. (1997) Lipid peroxidation in the pancreas and other organs in streptozotocin diabetic rats. Jpn J Pharmacol.; 75: 267-73.
- Yadav P, Sarkar S, Bhatnagar D. (1997a) Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in erythrocytes and tissues in aged diabetic rats. Indian J Exp Biol; 35: 389-92.
- Yadav P, Sarkar S, Bhatnagar D. (1997b) Action of Capparis decidua against alloxan-induced oxidative stress and diabetes in rat tissues. Pharmacol Res;. 36: 221-8.
- West IC. (2000) Radicals and oxidative stress in diabetes. Diabet Med.; 17: 171-80.
Publication order reference