Collagen of umbilical cord vein and its alterations in pre-eclampsia.
Languages of publication
The state of the vascular system of the mother and of placenta is known to exert a great influence on intrauterinal development of the fetus. Pre-eclampsia is the most common pathological syndrome connected with pregnancy. Since collagen is one of the main constituents of the vessel wall a comparison was made with collagen content and its molecular polymorphism in umbilical cord veins of newborns from healthy and pre-eclamptic mothers. It was found that umbilical cord veins of newborns from mothers with pre-eclampsia contained 18% less collagen than those of the newborns from normal pregnancies. This decrease was accompanied by a slight decrease of collagen solubility, but all its types (I, III, IV, V and VI) were present. However, the umbilical vein wall of newborns from mothers with pre-eclampsia contained relatively less of type I and more of type III collagen than the normal umbilical cord. These differences may be connected with a disturbance of blood flow in fetus of a woman with pre-eclampsia.
- Aalkjaer C, Danielsen H, Johannsen P, Pedersen EB, Rasmussen A, Mulvany MJ. (1985) Abnormal vascular function and morphology in preeclampsia: a study of isolated resistance vessels. Clin Sci.; 69: 477-82.
- Baker DJP, Osmond C, Golding J, Kuh D, Wadsworth MEJ. (1989) Growth in utero, blood pressure in childhood and adult life and mortality from cardiovascular diseases. BMJ.; 298: 564-7.
- Bańkowski E. (1999) Collagen of the umbilical cord and its alteration in EPH-gestosis (preeclapsia). Proc Ind Acad Sci (Chem Sci).; 111: 207-13.
- Bańkowski E, Romanowicz L, Jaworski S. (1993) Collagen of umbilical cord arteries and its alterations in pre-eclampsia. J Perinat Med.; 21: 491-8.
- Bańkowski E, Sobolewski K, Romanowicz L, Chyczewski L, Jaworski S. (1996) Collagen and glycosaminoglycans of Wharton's jelly, and their alterations in pre-eclampsia. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol.; 66: 109-17.
- Barnes MJ. (1983) Collagen polymorphism in the normal and diseased blood vessel wall. Atherosclerosis.; 46: 249-51.
- Barnes MJ. (1985) Collagen in atherosclerosis. Coll Relat Res.; 5: 65-97.
- Brosens JA. (1977) Morphological changes in the utero-placental bed in pregnancy hypertension. Clin Obstet Gynec.; 4: 573-93.
- Chung E, Miller E. (1974) Collagen polymorphism. Characterization of molecules with the chain composition α1 (III) in human tissues. Science.; 183: 1200-1.
- Cretti A, Jaworski S. (1976) Studi istologici sulle arteriole miometrali di la fuori della sede placentare nella EPH gestosi. Patol Clin Ost.; 4: 225-36.
- Fox H. ed, (1997) Pathology of the placenta. pp1-488, Saunders, London.
- Gilligan JP, Spector S. (1984) Synthesis of collagen in cardiac and vascular walls. Hypertension.; 6: Suppl III 44-9.
- Griffin D, Cohen-Overbeek T, Campbell S. (1983) Fetal and uteroplacental blood flow. Clin Obstet Gyneacol.; 10: 565-02.
- Howard RB. (1987) Control of human placental blood flow. Med Hypotheses.; 23: 51-8.
- Hudson BG, Reeders ST, Tryggvason K. (1993) Type IV collagen: structure, gen organization, and role in human diseases. J Biol Chem.; 268: 26033-6.
- Kielty CM, Boot-Handford RP, Ayad S, Shuttleworth CA, Grant ME. (1990) Molecular composition of type VI collagen. Evidence for chain heterogeneity in mammalian tissues and cultured cells. Biochem J.; 272: 787-95.
- Kitzmiller JL, Bernirschke K. (1973) Immunofluorescent study of placental bed vessels in pre-eclampsia of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol.; 115: 248-51.
- Laemmli UK. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature.; 227: 680-5.
- Law CM, de Swiet M, Osmond C, Fayers PM, Barker DJ, Cruddas AM, Fall CH. (1993) Initiation of hypertension in utero and its amplification throughout life. BMJ.; 306: 24-7.
- Miller EJ. (1976) Biochemical characteristics and biological significance of the genetically-distinct collagens. Mol Cell Biochem.; 13: 165-92.
- Murata K, Mitayama T, Kotake C. (1986) Changes of collagen types in various layer of the human aorta and their changes with the atherosclerotic process. Atherosclerosis.; 60: 251-62.
- Pawlicka E, Bańkowski E, Jaworski S. (1999) Elastin of the umbilical cord arteries and its alterations in pre-eclampsia. Biol Neonate.; 75: 91-6.
- Rippmann ET. (1981) Epidemiology of EPH-gestosis. In Current status of EPH-gestosis. Kurjak A, Rippmann ET, Sulovic V. eds, pp 100-120, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, Oxford, Princetown.
- Romanowicz L, Bańkowski E, Jaworski S. (1998) Electrophoretic and chromatographic patterns of glycosaminoglycans of the umbilical cord vessels and their alterations in EPH-gestosis. Acta Biochim Polon.; 45: 805-9.
- Romanowicz L, Sobolewski K. (2000) Extracellular matrix components of the wall of umbilical cord vein and their alterations in pre-eclampsia. J Perinat Med.; 28: 140-6.
- Schofield JD, Freeman IL, Jackson DS. (1971) The isolation and amino acid and carbohydrate composition of polymeric collagens prepared from various human tissues. Biochem J.; 124: 467-73.
- Steven FS. (1967) The effect of chelating agents on collagen interfibrillar matrix interactions in connective tissue. Biochim Biophys Acta.; 140: 522-8.
- Van der Rest M, Garrone R. (1991) Collagen family of proteins. FASEB J.; 5: 2814-23.
- Waksman Y, Mashiah A, Hod I, Rose SS, Friedman A. (1997) Collagen subtype pattern in normal and varicose saphenous veins in humans. Isr J Med Sci.; 33: 81-6.
- Whincup P, Cook D, Papacosta O, Walker M. (1995) Birth weight and blood pressure: cross sectional and longitudinal relations in childhood. BMJ.; 311: 733-6.
- Woessner Jr JF. (1976) Determination of hydroxyproline in connective tissue. In The methodology of connective tissue. Hall DA ed, pp 100-2. Joynson-Bruvers, Oxford.
Publication order reference