Therapeutical effect of modified adamantane copolymer compounds: Study of molecular mechanisms.
Languages of publication
Copolymers of N-polyvinylpyrrolidone-acrylic acid (AB-1) and adamantane derivatives are known to possess marked antiviral activity in in vitro and in ovo models. Among the constructed preparations of AB-1 modified by adamantane derivatives some, especially AB-4 (modified by deitiforin), were found to show more extended antiviral activity and to inhibit markedly virus reproduction in susceptible permissive cell cultures and chicken embryos. In AB-4 treated cells and allantoic sacs, virus titers (influenza virus, herpes virus, and HIV) and virus antigen concentration were decreased. On the other hand, herpes virus-specific thymidine kinase and of DNA-polymerases isolated from Escherichia coli, Plectonema boryanum, and herpes virus type 1 infected murine brain tissue retained their activity after incubation with AB-4 or AB-2. The compounds investigated, in view of their effect on virus reproduction, are thought to be prospective as antiviral agents.
- 1. Dzeguse, A. (1991) Anti-influenza effect of amantadine and some of its derivatives; in New Approaches in Viral Infection Chemotherapy; p. 53-54, Riga:Zinatne (in Russian).
- 2. DeClerq, E. (1989) New approaches in the development of anti-HIV agents. Antiviral Res. 12, 1-20.
- 3. Prichard, W.W. (1967) Amine derivatives of 4,7-hexahydroindan. Pat. USA 3317387. Chem. Abstr. 67, N 73249.
- 4. Danilenko, G.I., Shablovskaya, Ye.A., Antonova, L.A., et al. (1998) Phenyladamantane derivatives as rabies virus inhibitors. Chimiko-farmaceutitcheski Zhurnal 32, 28-30 (in Russian).
- 5. Goonewerdene, H.F. (1968) Inhibition of the growth of plant viruses. Pat. USA 3341402. Chem. Abstr. 68, N 2266.
- 6. Kolocouris, N., Kolocouris, A. & Foscolas, J.F. (1996) Synthesis and antiviral activity evaluation of some new adamantane derivatives. J. Med. Chem. 39, 3307-3318.
- 7. Kendal, A.B. & Klenk, H.D. (1991) Method of determination of virus antigen in cell culture. Arch. Virol. 119, 265-273.
- 8. Prozorovski, V.B., Prozorovzki, M.P. & Demchenko, V.M. (1978) An express-method for determination of mean effective dose and its errors. Farmakologiya i Toksikologiya 4, 497-502 (in Russian).
- 9. Bollum, F.J. (1968) Filterpaper disk technique for SN radioactive molecule. Methods Enzymol. 12, 169-173.
- 10. Mendzhul, M.I, Nesterova, N.V. & Sukhanov, S.N. (1993) DNA-dependent DNA-polymerase from the cyanobacterium Plectonema boryanum: Isolation and partial purification. Mikrobiologichny Zhurnal 55, 46-51 (in Russian).
- 11. Furleng, F. (1986) A rapid assay for nucleotide kinases using C14 and H3 nucleotides. Ann. Biochem. 5, 515-522.
- 12. Sidelkovskays, F.P. (1970) Chemistry of the N-Vynilpyrrolodone and its Derivatives. Nauka. (Moscow) 162 (in Russian).
- 13. Copolymers of N-vynilpyrrolidone with (met)- acrylic acid as component for drugs. Brit. Patent 815225, 1959, Chem. Abstr. 1960, 53, P.22980.
- 14. Nazhimutdinov, Sh., Turayev, A.S. & Usmanov, Kh.Ch. (1976) Monomer copolymerization leading to the formation of proton-donor-acceptor complexes following monomer functional group interactions. Dokl. Akad. Nauk S.S.S.R. 226, 1113-1116 (in Russian).
- 15. Challberg, M.D. & Kelly, T.S. (1989) Animal virus DNA replication. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 58, 671- 717.
- 16. Hovi, T.R. (1980) Nuclear war against herpesviruses. Med. Biol. 58, 5-7.
Publication order reference