Proteoglycans of human umbilical cord arteries.
Languages of publication
Proteoglycans (PGs) were dissociatively extracted from human umbilical cord arteries (UCAs) with 4 M guanidine hydrochloride containing Triton X-100 and protease inhibitors, purified by Q-Sepharose anion exchange chromatography and lyophilized. They were analysed by gel filtration, SDS/PAGE and agarose gel electrophoresis before and after treatment with chondroitinase ABC. It was found that the PG preparation was especially enriched in chondroitin/dermatan sulphate PGs. The predominant PG fraction included small PGs that emerged from Sepharose CL-2B with Kav = 0.74. Their molecular mass, estimated by SDS/PAGE, was 160-200 kDa and 90-150 kDa, i.e. it was typical for biglycan and decorin, respectively. Treatment with chondroitinase ABC yielded the core proteins of 45 and 47 kDa, characteristic for both small PGs. Remarkable amounts of the 45 kDa protein were detected in non-treated PG samples, suggesting the presence of free core proteins of biglycan and decorin. Large PGs were present in lower amounts. In intact form they were eluted from Sepharose CL-2B with Kav = 0.17 and 0.43. Digestion with chondroitinase ABC yielded the core proteins with a molecular mass within the range of 180-360 kDa but predominant were the bands of 200, 250 and 360 kDa. The large PGs probably represent various forms of versican or perlecan bearing chondroitin sulphate chains.
- 1. Wight, T.N. (1996) Arterial wall; in: Extracellular Matrix, vol. 1, Tissue Function (Comper, W.D., ed.) pp. 175-202, Harwood Academic Publishers GmbH, Amsterdam.
- 2. Hascall, V.C., Calabro, A., Midura, R.J. & Yanagishita, M. (1994) Isolation and characterization of proteoglycans. Methods Enzymol. 230, 390-417.
- 3. Iozzo, R.V. & Murdoch, A.D. (1996) Proteoglycans of the extracellular environment: Clues from the gene and protein side offer novel perspectives in molecular diversity and function. FASEB J. 10, 598-614.
- 4. Wight, T.N. (1989) Cell biology of arterial proteoglycans. Arteriosclerosis 9, 1-20.
- 5. Fisher, L.W. (1999) Decorin; in Guidebook to the Extracellular Matrix, Anchor, and Adhesion Proteins (Kreis, T. & Vale, R., eds.) 2nd edn., pp. 408-411, A Sambrook & Tooze Publication, Oxford University Press.
- 6. Fisher, L.W. (1999) Biglycan (BGN); in Guidebook to the Extracellular Matrix, Anchor, and Adhesion Proteins (Kreis, T. & Vale, R., eds.) 2nd edn., pp. 365-368, A Sambrook & Tooze Publication, Oxford University Press.
- 7. Bańkowski;, E. (1999) Collagen of the umbilical cord and its alteration in EPH-gestosis (preeclampsia). Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Chem. Sci.) 111, 207-213.
- 8. Cardoso, L.E.M., Erlich, R.B., Rudge, M.C., Peraçoli, J.C. & Mourão, P.A.S. (1992) A comparative analysis of glycosaminoglycans from human umbilical arteries in normal subjects and in pathological conditions affecting pregnancy. Lab. Invest. 67, 588-595.
- 9. Romanowicz, L. Bańkowski;, E., Jaworski, S. & Chyczewski, L. (1994) Glycosaminoglycans of umbilical cord arteries and their alterations in EPH-gestosis. Folia Histochem. Cytobiol. 32, 199-204.
- 10. Salisbury, B.G.J. & Wagner, W.D. (1981) Isolation and preliminary characterization of proteoglycans dissociatively extracted from human aorta. J. Biol. Chem. 256, 8050-8057.
- 11. Laemmli, U.K. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227, 680-685.
- 12. Swain, M. & Ross, N.W. (1995) A silver stain protocol for proteins yielding high resolution and transparent background in sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gels. Electrophoresis 16, 948-951.
- 13. Vilim, V. & Krajickova, J. (1991) Electrophoretic separation of large proteoglycans in large-pore polyacrylamide gels (1.32-10.0% T) and a one-step procedure for simultaneous staining of proteins and proteoglycans. Anal. Biochem. 197, 34-39.
- 14. Müller, G. & Hanschke, M. (1996) Quantitative and qualitative analyses of proteoglycans in cartilage extracts by precipitation with 1,9-dimethylmethylene blue. Connect. Tissue Res. 33, 243-248.
- 15. Björnsson, S. (1993) Size-dependent separation of proteoglycans by electrophoresis in gels of pure agarose. Anal. Biochem. 210, 292-298.
- 16. Farndale, R.W., Sayers, C.A. & Barret, A.J. (1982) A direct spectrophotometric microassay for sulfated glycosaminoglycans in cartilage cultures. Connect. Tissue Res. 9, 247-248.
- 17. Zor, T. & Selinger, Z. (1996) Linearization of the Bradford protein assay increases its sensitivity: Theoretical and experimental studies. Anal. Biochem. 236, 302-308.
- 18. Ehrlich, K.C., Radhakrishnamurthy, B. & Berenson, G.S. (1975) Isolation of a chondroitin sulfate-dermatan sulfate proteoglycan from bovine aorta. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 171, 361-369.
- 19. Lemire, J.M., Potter-Perigo, S., Hall, K.L., Wight, T.N. & Schwartz, S.M. (1996) Distinct rat aortic smooth muscle cells differ in versican/PG-M expression. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 16, 821-829.
- 20. Srinivasan, S.R., Xu, J.-H., Vijayagopal, P, Radhakrishnamurthy, B. & Berenson, G.S. (1995) Low-density lipoprotein binding affinity of arterial chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan variants modulates cholesteryl ester accumulation in macrophages. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1272, 61-67.
- 21. Nelimarkka, L., Kainulainen, V., Schönherr, E., Moisander, S., Jortikka, M., Lammi, M., Elenius, K., Jalkanen, M. & Järveläinen, H. (1997) Expression of small extracellular chondroitin/dermatan sulfate proteoglycans is differentially regulated in human endothelial cells. J. Biol. Chem. 272, 12730-12737.
- 22. Delorme, M.A., Xu, L., Berry, L., Mitchell, L. & Andrew, M. (1998) Anticoagulant dermatan sulphate proteoglycan (decorin) in the term human placenta. Thromb. Res. 90, 147-153.
- 23. Ramamurthy, P., Hocking, A.M. & McQuillan, D.J. (1996) Recombinant decorin glycoforms. Purification and structure. J. Biol. Chem. 271, 19578-19584.
- 24. Hocking, A.M., Strugnell, R.A., Ramamurthy, P. & McQuillan, D.J. (1996) Eukaryotic expression of recombinant biglycan. Post-translational processing and the importance of secondary structure for biological activity. J. Biol. Chem. 271, 19571-19577.
- 25. Cs-Szabó, G., Melching, L.I., Roughley, P.J. & Glant, T.T. (1997) Changes in messenger RNA and protein levels of proteoglycans and link protein in human osteoarthritic cartilage samples. Arthritis Rheum. 40, 1037-1045.
- 26. Dours-Zimmermann, M.T. & Zimmermann, D.R. (1994) A novel glycosaminoglycan attachment domain identified in two alternative splice variants of human versican. J. Biol. Chem. 269, 32992-32998.
- 27. Zako, M., Shinomura, T., Ujita, M., Ito, K. & Kimata, K. (1995) Expression of PG-M (V3), an alternatively spliced form of PG-M without a chondroitin sulfate attachment region in mouse and human tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 3914-3918.
- 28. SundarRaj, N., Fite, D., Ledbetter, S., Chakravarti, S. & Hassell, J.R. (1995) Perlecan is a component of cartilage matrix and promotes chondrocyte attachment. J. Cell Sci. 108, 2663-2672.
- 29. Eriksen, G.V., Carlstedt, I., Mörgelin, M., Uldbjerg, N. & Malmström, A. (1999) Isolation and characterization of proteoglycans from human follicular fluid. Biochem. J. 340, 613-620.
- 30. Gandley, R.E., McLaughlin, M.K., Koob, T.J., Little, S.A. & McGuffee, L.J. (1997) Contribution of chondroitin-dermatan sulfate-containing proteoglycans to the function of rat mesenteric arteries. Am. J. Physiol. 273, H952- H960.
- 31. Bańkowski;, E., Romanowicz, L. & Jaworski, S. (1994) Alterations in collagen of umbilical cord arteries in patients with EPH-gestosis. Acta Biochim. Polon. 41, 170-173.
- 32. Yang, B.L., Zhang, Y., Cao, L. & Yang, B.B. (1999) Cell adhesion and proliferation mediated through the G1 domain of versican. J. Cell. Biochem. 72, 210-220.
- 33. Whitelock, J.M., Graham, L.D., Melrose, J., Murdoch, A.D., Iozzo, R.V. & Underwood, P.A. (1999) Human perlecan immunopurified from different endothelial cell sources has different adhesive properties for vascular cells. Matrix Biol. 18, 163-178.
- 34. Howard, R.B. (1987) Control of human placental blood flow. Med. Hypotheses 23, 51-58.
- 35. Pawlicka, E., Bańkowski;, E. & Jaworski, S. (1999) Elastin of the umbilical cord arteries and it alterations in EPH gestosis (preeclampsia). Biol. Neonate 75, 91-96.
Publication order reference