Effect of aging on UVC-induced apoptosis of rat splenocytes.
Languages of publication
UVC-induced apoptotic symptoms such as morphological changes, DNA fragmentation, Bcl-2 and Bax protein expression were examined in primary splenocyte cultures from young (3 months) and old (24 months) rats. The activities of AP-1 and CRE transcription factors in UVC-irradiated splenocytes were also assessed. At 24 h after UVC irradiation 40% of cells derived from young rats were found to be apoptotic, which was twice as much as in splenocytes from old rats. Apoptosis in cells from old rats did not give typical symptoms like a "DNA ladder" and Bcl-2 protein downregulation, in contrast to splenocytes from young rats. No AP-1 transcription factor activity was found in UVC-irradiated splenocytes from old animals and only a trace activity in splenocytes from young animals. This indicates that, UVC-induced apoptosis in rat splenocytes is practically AP-1 independent and that cells from old rats are less sensitive to UVC irradiation than splenocytes from young rats.
- 1. Raff, M.C. (1992) Social controls on cell survival and cell death. Nature 356, 397-400.
- 2. Akbar, A.N. & Salmon, M. (1997) Cellular environments and apoptosis: Tissue microenvironments control activated T-cell death. Immunol. Today 18, 72-76.
- 3. Thompson, C.B. (1995) Apoptosis in the pathogenesis and treatment of disease. Science 267, 1456-1462.
- 4. Campisi, J. (1996) Replicative senescence: An old lives' tale? Cell 84, 497-500.
- 5. Wang, E. (1995) Senescent human fibroblasts resist programmed cell death, and failure to suppress bcl2 is involved. Cancer Res. 55, 2284-2292.
- 6. Pawelec, G., Effros, R.B., Caruso, C., Remarque, E., Barnett, Y. & Solana, R. (1999) T cells and aging. Front. Biosci. 4, D216-269.
- 7. Gottlieb, R.A., Nordberg, J., Skowronski, E. & Babior, B.M. (1996) Apoptosis induced in Jurkat cells by several agents is preceded by intracellular acidification. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 93, 654-658.
- 8. Kimura, C., Zhao, Q.L., Kondo, T., Amatsu, M. & Fujiwara, Y. (1998) Mechanism of UV-induced apoptosis in human leukemia cells: Roles of Ca2+/Mg(2+)-dependent endonuclease, caspase-3, and stress-activated protein kinases. Exp. Cell Res. 239, 411-422.
- 9. Sikora, E., Bielak-Zmijewska, A., Piwocka, K., Skierski, J. & Radziszewska, E. (1997) Inhibition of proliferation and apoptosis of human and rat T lymphocytes by curcumin, a curry pigment. Biochem. Pharmacol. 54, 899-907.
- 10. Schreiber, M., Baumann, B., Cotten, M., Angel, P. & Wagner, E.F. (1995) Fos is an essential component of the mammalian UV response. EMBO J. 14, 5338-5349.
- 11. Sikora, E., Kaminska, B., Radziszewska, E. & Kaczmarek, L. (1992) Loss of transcription factor AP-1 DNA binding activity during lymphocyte aging in vivo. FEBS Lett. 312, 179-182.
- 12. Pahlavani, M.A., Harris, M.D., Moore, S.A. & Richardson, A. (1996) Expression of heat shock protein 70 in rat spleen lymphocytes is affected by age but not by food restriction. J. Nutr. 126, 2069-2075.
- 13. Darzynkiewicz, Z., Li, X. & Gong, J. (1994) Assays of cell viability: Discrimination of cells dying by apoptosis. Methods Cell. Biol. 41, 15-38.
- 14. Smith, C.A., Williams, G.T., Kingston, R., Jenkinson, E.J. & Owen, J.J. (1989) Antibodies to CD3/T-cell receptor complex induce death by apoptosis in immature T cells in thymic cultures. Nature 337, 181-184.
- 15. Del Bino, G., Skierski, J.S. & Darzynkiewicz, Z. (1991) The concentration-dependent diversity of effects of DNA topoisomerase I and II inhibitors on the cell cycle of HL-60 cells. Exp. Cell. Res. 195, 485-491.
- 16. Gong, J., Traganos, F. & Darzynkiewicz, Z. (1994) A selective procedure for DNA extraction from apoptotic cells applicable for gel electrophoresis and flow cytometry. Anal. Biochem. 218, 314-319.
- 17. Bradford, M.M. (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72, 248-254.
- 18. Cory, S. (1995) Regulation of lymphocyte survival by the bcl-2 gene family. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 13, 513-543.
- 19. Angel, P. & Karin, M. (1991) The role of Jun, Fos and the AP-1 complex in cell-proliferation and transformation. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1072, 129-157.
- 20. Karin, M., Liu, Z. & Zandi, E. (1997) AP-1 function and regulation. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 9, 240-246.
- 21. Tyrrell, R.M. (1996) Activation of mammalian gene expression by the UV component of sunlight from models to reality. Bioessays 18, 139-148.
- 22. Radziszewska, E., Piwocka, K., Skierski, J. & Sikora, E. (1999) UVC-induced death in IL-2 dependent human lymphocytes. Cell Biol. Int.. 23, 97-103.
- 23. Sikora, E., Grassilli, E., Bellesia, E., Troiano, L. & Franceschi, C. (1993) Studies of the relationship between cell proliferation and cell death. III. AP-1 DNA-binding activity during concanavalin A-induced proliferation or dexamethasone-induced apoptosis of rat thymocytes. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 192, 386-391.
- 24. Sikora, E., Rossini, G.P., Grassilli, E., Bellesia, E., Salomoni, P. & Franceschi, C. (1996) Interference between DNA binding activities of AP-1 and GR transcription factors in rat thymocytes undergoing dexamethasone- induced apoptosis. Acta Biochim. Polon. 43, 721-731.
- 25. Bossy-Wetzel, E., Bakiri, L. & Yaniv, M. (1997) Induction of apoptosis by the transcription factor c-Jun. EMBO J. 16, 1695-1709.
- 26. Kaminska, B., Filipkowski, R.K., Zurkowska, G., Lason, W., Przewlocki, R. & Kaczmarek, L. (1994) Dynamic changes in the composition of the AP-1 transcription factor DNA-binding activity in rat brain following kainate-induced seizures and cell death. Eur. J. Neurosci. 6, 1558-1566.
- 27. Kim, R. & Beck, W.T. (1994) Differences between drug-sensitive and -resistant human leukemic CEM cells in c-jun expression, AP-1 DNA-binding activity, and formation of Jun/ Fos family dimers, and their association with internucleosomal DNA ladders after treatment with VM-26. Cancer Res. 54, 4958-4966.
- 28. Marti, A., Jehn, B., Costello, E., Keon, N., Ke, G., Martin, F. & Jaggi, R. (1994) Protein kinase A and AP-1 (c-Fos/JunD) are induced during apoptosis of mouse mammary epithelial cells. Oncogene 9, 1213-1223.
- 29. Mollinedo, F., Gajate, C. & Modolell, M. (1994) The ether lipid 1-octadecyl-2-methyl-rac-glycero-3-phosphocholine induces expression of fos and jun proto-oncogenes and activates AP-1 transcription factor in human leukaemic cells. Biochem. J. 302, 325-329.
- 30. Tong, L. & Perez-Polo, J.R. (1995) Transcription factor DNA binding activity in PC12 cells undergoing apoptosis after glucose deprivation. Neurosci. Lett. 191, 137-140.
- 31. Sawai, H., Okazaki, T., Yamamoto, H., Okano, H., Takeda, Y., Tashima, M., Sawada, H., Okuma, M., Ishikura, H., Umehara, H., et al. (1995) Requirement of AP-1 for ceramide-induced apoptosis in human leukemia HL-60 cells. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 27326-27331.
- 32. Gajate, C., Alonso, M.T., Schimmang, T. & Mollinedo, F. (1996) C-Fos is not essential for apoptosis. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 218, 267-272.
- 33. Lenczowski, J.M., Dominguez, L., Eder, A.M., King, L.B., Zacharchuk, C.M. & Ashwell, J.D. (1997) Lack of a role for Jun kinase and AP-1 in Fas-induced apoptosis. Mol. Cell Biol. 17, 170-181.
- 34. Roffler-Tarlov, S., Brown, J.J., Tarlov, E., Stolarov, J., Chapman, D.L., Alexiou, M. & Papaioannou, V.E. (1996) Programmed cell death in the absence of c-Fos and c-Jun. Development 122, 1-9.
- 35. Lechner, H., Amort, M., Steger, M.M., Maczek, C. & Grubeck-Loebenstein, B. (1996) Regulation of CD95 (APO-1) expression and the induction of apoptosis in human T cells: Changes in old age. Int. Arch. Allergy Immunol. 110, 238-243.
- 36. Spaulding, C.C., Walford, R.L. & Effros, R.B. (1997) The accumulation of non-replicative, non-functional, senescent T cells with age is avoided in calorically restricted mice by an enhancement of T cell apoptosis. Mech. Ageing Dev. 93, 25-33.
- 37. Zhou, T., Edwards, C.K. & Mountz, J.D. (1995) Prevention of age-related T cell apoptosis defect in CD2-fas-transgenic mice J. Exp. Med. 182, 129-137.
- 38. Rehemtulla, A., Hamilton, C.A., Chinnaiyan, A.M. & Dixit, V.M. (1997) Ultraviolet radiation-induced apoptosis is mediated by activation of CD-95 (Fas/APO-1). J. Biol. Chem. 272, 25783-25786.
- 39. Leverkus, M., Yaar, M. & Gilchrest, B.A. (1997) Fas/Fas ligand interaction contributes to UV-induced apoptosis in human keratinocytes. Exp. Cell Res. 232, 255-262.
Publication order reference