Cytostatic and cytotoxic effects of (E)-2'-deoxy-2'-(fluoromethylene)-cytidine on a solid tumor and a leukemia cell line.
Languages of publication
(E)-2'-deoxy-2'-(fluoromethylene)-cytidine (FMdC), a deoxycytidine analog displaying a very high toxicity toward a variety of solid tumor cell lines and xenografts, is activated intracellularly by deoxycytidine kinase (dCK). We have compared cytotoxicity of FMdC towards a human promyeolocytic leukemia line HL-60 and a human colorectal carcinoma line COLO-205. Despite dCK activity being by far the highest in cells of lymphoid origin, the effects of FMdC were detectable at the lowest drug concentration only in a solid tumor cell line, and at higher concentrations they were qualitatively similar in the two tumor lines (increased cell protein content, cell cycle block and apoptosis). Apparently, low dCK activity in solid tumor cells sufficiently activates FMdC to yield cytotoxic effects, while high dCK activity in leukemia cells does not increase its cytotoxicity.
- Laboratory of Experimental Pharmacology, Medical Research Center, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warszawa, Poland
- Flow Cytometry Laboratory, Drug Institute, Warszawa, Poland
- Flow Cytometry Laboratory, Drug Institute, Warszawa, Poland
- 1. Bitonti, A., Dumont, J.A., Bush, T.L., Cashman, E.A., Cross-Doersen, D.E., Wright, P.S., Matthews, D.P., McCarthy, J.R. & Kaplan, D.A. (1994) Regression of human breast tumor xenografts in response to (E)-2'-deoxy-2'-(fluoromethylene) cytidine, an inhibitor of ribonucleoside diphosphate reductase. Cancer Res. 54, 1485-1490.
- 2. Bitonti, A.J., Bush, T.L., Lewis, M.T. & Sunkara, P.S. (1995) Response of human colon and prostate xenografts to (E)-2'-deoxy-2'- (fluoromethylene)cytidine, an inhibitor of ribonucleotide reductase. Anticancer Res. 15, 1179-182.
- 3. Kanazawa, J., Takahashi, T., Gomi, K. & Okabe, M. (1995) Antitumor activity of (E)-2'-deoxy- 2'-(fluoromethylene)cytidine, an inhibitor of ribonucleotide reductase (abstract). Proc. AACR 36, A2416.
- 4. Piepmeier, J.M., Rabidou, N., Schold, S.C., Jr, Bitonti, A.J., Prakash, N.J. & Bush, T.L. (1996) In vitro and in vivo inhibition of glioblastoma and neuroblastoma with MDL101731, a novel ribonucleoside diphosphate reductase inhibitor. Cancer Res. 56, 359-361.
- 5. Ross, B.D., Boklye, K. & Chenevert, T.L. (1994) Assessment of the growth and treatment of experimental intracranial gliomas using magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy. Sixth International Symposium on Pediatric Neuro-Oncology, Houston, TX, p. 28.
- 6. Sun, L.Q., Li, Y.X., Guillou, L., Mirimanoff, R.O. & Coucke, P.A. (1997) Antitumor and radiosensitizing effects of (E)-2'-deoxy- 2'-(fluoromethylene) cytidine, a novel inhibitor of ribonucleoside diphosphate reductase, on human colon carcinoma xenografts in nude mice. Cancer Res. 57, 4023-4028.
- 7. Takahashi, T., Nakashima, A., Kanazawa, J., Yamaguchi, K., Akinaga, S., Tamaoki, T. & Okabe, M. (1998) Metabolism and ribonucleotide reductase inhibition of (E)-2'-deoxy-2'-2'- (fluoromethylene)cytidine, MDL 101,731, in human cervical carcinoma HeLa S3 cells. Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 41, 268-274.
- 8. Wright, P.S., Cross-Doersen, D., Th'ng, J.P.H., Guo, X.W., Crissman, H.A., Bradbury, E.M., Montgomery, L.R., Thompson, F.Y., Loudy, D.E., Johnston, J.O. & Bitonti, A.J. (1996) A ribonucleoside reductase inhibitor, MDL 101,731, induces apoptosis and elevates TRPM-2 mRNA levels in human prostate tumor xenografts. Exp. Cell Res. 222, 54-60.
- 9. McCarthy, J.R., Matthews, D.P., Stemerick, D.M., Huber, E.W., Bey, P., Lippert, B.J., Snyder, R.D. & Sunkara, P. (1991) Stereospecific method to E and Z terminal fluoro olefins and its application to the synthesis of 2'-deoxy-2'-fluoromethylene nucleosides as potential inhibitors of ribonucleoside diphosphate reductase. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 113, 7439-7440.
- 10. McCarthy, J.R. & Sunkara, P.S. (1995) Chemical and structural approaches to rational drug design (Weiner, D.B. & Williams, W.B., eds.) CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- 11. Yonetani, Y. & Mizukami, T. (1996) Kinetic analysis of inhibition of human ribonucleotide reductase and DNA polymerase alpha by a new anticancer agent (abstract). Proc. AACR 37, A2764.
- 12. van der Donk, W.A., Yu, G., Silva, D., Stubbe, J., McCarthy, J.R., Jarvi, E.T., Matthews, D.P., Resvick, R.J. & Wagner, E. (1996) Inactivation of ribonucleotide reductase by (E)-2'- fluoromethylene-2'-deoxycytidine 5'-diphosphate: A paradigm for nucleotide mechanism-based inhibitors. Biochemistry 35, 8381- 8391.
- 13. Eriksson, S., Kiedraszuk, B., Munch-Petersen, B., Oberg, B. & Johansson, N.G. (1991) Comparison of the substrate specificities of human thymidine kinase 1 and 2 and deoxycytidine kinase toward antiviral and cytostatic nucleoside analogs. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 176, 586-592.
- 14. Plunkett, W. & Gandhi, V. (1996) Pharmacology of purine nucleoside analogues. Hematol. Cell Therapy 38 (Suppl. 2), S67-S74.
- 15. Carson, D.A., Wasson, D.B., Esparza, L.M., Carrera, C.J., Kipps, T.J. & Cottam, H.B. (1992) Oral antilymphocytic activity and induction of apoptosis by 2-chloro-2'-arabino- fluoro-2'-deoxyadenosine. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 89, 2970-2974.
- 17. Weiss, G.R., Kuhn, J.G., Rizzo, J., Smith, L.S., Rodrigues, G.I., Eckardt, J.R., Burris, H.A., 3rd, Fields, S., VanDenBerg, K. & von Hoff, D.D. (1995) A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine in patients with solid tumors. Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 35, 397-402.
- 18. Arner, E.S. (1996) On the phosphorylation of 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (CdA) and its correlation with clinical response in leukemia treatment. Leuk. Lymph. 21, 225-231.
- 19. Liliemark, J. (1997) The clinical pharmacokinetics of cladribine. Clin. Pharmacokin. 32, 120-131.
- 20. Eriksson, S., Arner, E., Spasokoukotskaja, T., Wang, L., Karlsson, A., Brosjo, O., Gunven, P., Juliusson, G. & Liliemark, J. (1994) Properties and levels of deoxynucleoside kinases in normal and tumor cells: Implications for chemotherapy. Adv. Enzyme Regul. 34,13-25.
- 21. Bridges, C.G., Ahmed, S.P., Sunkara, P.S., McCarthy, J.R. & Tyms, A.S. (1995) The ribonucleotide reductase inhibitor (E)-2'(fluoromethylene)-2'-deoxycytidine (MDL 101,731): A potential topical therapy for herpes simplex virus infection. Antiviral Res. 27, 325-334.
- 22. Yuan, C.-S., Yeh, J., Liu, S. & Borchardt, R.T. (1993) Mechanism of inactivation of S-adenosylhomocysteine hydrolase by (Z)-4'-5'-didehydro-5'-deoxy-5'-fluoroadenosine. J. Biol. Chem. 268,17030-17037.
- 23. Baker, C.H., Banzon, J., Bollinger, J.M., Stubbe, J., Samano, V., Robins, M.J., Lippert, B., Jarvi, E. & Resvick, R. (1991) 2'-Deoxy- 2',2'-difluorocytidine and 2'-deoxy-2',2'-difluorocytidine-5'-diphosphates: Potent mechanism-based inhibitors of ribonucleotide reductase. J. Med. Chem. 34, 1879-1884.
- 24. Skierski, J., Koronkiewicz, M. & Grieb, P. (1999) The effects of FMdC on cell cycle of some leukemia cell lines. Cytometry 37, 302-7
- 25. Griffig, J., Koob, R. & Blakley, L. (1989) Mechanisms of inhibition of DNA synthesis by 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine in human lymphoblastic cells. Cancer Res. 49, 6923-6929.
- 26. Plunkett, W. & Saunders, P.P. (1991) Metabolism and action of purine nucleoside analogs. Pharmacol. Ther. 49, 239-268.
- 27. Hansen, H.H. (1996) Gemcitabine a review. Ann. Oncol. 7 (Suppl. 1), 29.
- 28. Xie, K.C. & Plunett, W. (1996) Deoxynucleotide pool depletion and sustained inhibition of ribonucleotide reductase and DNA synthesis after treatment of human lymphoblastoid cells with 2-chloro-9-(2-deoxy-2-fluoro- β-D-arabinofuranosyl) adenine. Cancer Res. 56, 3030-3037.
- 29. Waud, W.R., Schmid, S.M., Harrison, S.D., Jr, Secrist, J.A., III & Montgomery, J.A. (1992) Preclinical and antitumor activity of 2-chloro-9-(2-deoxy-2-fluoro-β-D-arabinofuranosyl)adenine. (Abstract) Proc. AACR 33, 545.
- 30. Montgomery, J.A., Shortnacy-Fower, A.T., Clayton, S.D., Riordan, J.M. & Secrist, J.A., III (1992) Synthesis and biologic activity of 2'-fluoro-2-halo-derivatives of 9-β-D-arabinosylfluoroadenine. J. Med. Chem. 35, 397-401.
- 31. Xu, Y.-Z., Huang, P. & Plunkett, W, (1995) Functional compartmentation of dCTP pools. Preferential utilization of salvaged deoxycytidine for DNA repair in human lymphoblasts. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 631-637.
Publication order reference