The State of Development of Equestrian Tourism in the Lublin Region in the Context of Environmental Conditions
Languages of publication
Introduction. In recent years spending free time in the Lublin Region has been more frequently related to equestrian tourism based on the infrastructure of the existing centres. Papers published so far focus mainly on a detailed description of features of horses used for equestrian tourism. Few papers have analysed offers and issues related to the promotion of this form of tourism. There is no paper discussing the spatial distribution of equestrian tourism centres, or analysing their offer at the regional scale. In response to this, a study was undertaken with special consideration of the features of the natural environment. Material and methods. In the period from October 2010 to April 2011, secondary information (statistics, registers, scientific papers) was analysed and primary material (field inventory, diagnostic interviews and an opinion poll) on the state of equestrian tourism in the Lublin Region was collected. Results. The analysis of the spatial distribution of 61 equestrian tourism centres subject to the inventory reveals that the highest number of centres function in the Zamooeæ and Biała Podlaska poviats. The comparison of offers in the scope of equestrian tourism in the Lublin Region shows that the basic offer of the region includes four kinds of services: horse riding, sleigh riding, chaise riding and horse riding courses. The highest number of horse treks is offered by centres in the Biała Podlaska poviat. Conclusions. In view of the data obtained, an asset in the scope of the development of equestrian tourism is the structure of offers directed at tourists and the infrastructure that already exists. Moreover, the development of this form of tourism is favoured by the features of the natural environment; the majority of trails and centres are located in environmentally valuable areas. Particularly the landscape, the filtrating-detoxicating properties of plant assemblages, their bioclimate and aesthetic value should contribute to the development of a complex offer (appropriate promotional package) of equestrian tourism in the Lublin Region
1 - 12 - 2012
20 - 04 - 2013
- Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, Department of Regional Geography and Tourism, 2cd Kraoenicka Avenue, 20-718 Lublin, tel.: +48 81 537 68 51, fax: + 48 81 537 68 62, email@example.com
- Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, Faculty of Earth Sciences and Spatial Management, Department of Regional Geography and Tourism
- 1. Grzybowski, M. (2005). Chances and perspectives of devel- opment of equestrian tourism in Poland. Rocznik Naukowy Wyższej Szkoły TUrystyki i Rekreacji w Warszawie 3, 61-63. (in Polish)
- 2. Adamowicz, M. & świtek I. (2009). Equestrian Tourism in tlie świętokrzyskie Mountains region. In K. Chmiel (Ed.), The horse in tourism and recreation (pp. 113-148). BialaPad- laska: PSW. (in Polish)
- 3. Jasiński, N., Prus K. & Pięta W. (2006). Equestrian tourism on the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland. In D. Dudkiewicz, E Mi- dura & E. Wysocka (Eds.), 7burism and recreation as a factor increasing the attractiveness and competitiveness of the re- gion (pp. 427-435). Warszawa: Al manier Wyższa Szkoła Eko- nomiczna. (in Polish)
- 4. Šalita, J. (1999). Horse riding as a form of active tourism. In J. Merski & J. Warecka (Eds.), Active tourism - qualified tourism (pp. 174-177). Warszawa: Almamer Wyższa Szkoła Ekonomiczna, (in Polish)
- 5. Jarzębowska, M., Kowalczyk A., Kulczyk S., Kurkowska A. & Lewandowski W. (2010). Qualified tourism (active tourism) in the concept of sustainable tourism. In A. Kowalczyk (Ed.), Sustainable tourism (pp. 255-272). Warszawa: Wydawnic- two Nau kowe PWN (i n Poli sh).
- 6. Merski, J. & Warecka J. (2009). Equestrian tourism. In J. Mer- ski & J. Warecka (Eds.), Qualified tourism and active tourism (pp. 97-115). Warszawa: Almamer Wyższa Szkoła Ekono- miczna. (in Polish)
- 7. StrauP, I. (1996). Hippotherapy. Neurophysiological the- rapeutic gymnastics on horseback. Kraków: Fundacja na rzecz rehabilitacji korniej dzieci niepełnosprawnych, (in Pol ish)
- 8. Bekasiewicz, N. (Ed.) (2008). Can animals cure? Therapies with participation of animals supporting rehabilitation of the disabled. Warszawa: FUndacja Pamocy Osobom Niepełno- sprawnym "Przyjaciel", (in Palish)
- 9. Józefc2yk, M. (2010). The most beautiful Horse Trails in Poland. Warszawa: Carta Blanca, (in Polish)
- 10. Kubacki, S., Cywińska D., Markiewicz J., Tadych M., Mro- zik-Gliszczyńska E., Święcicka, N. et al. (2006). Analysis of selected equestrian centers and agrotourist farms in Poland. Prace Komisji Nauk Rolniczych i Biologicznych BTN, B 61, 47-55. (in Palish)
- 11. Łojek, J. (2001). Changes in the direction of use of horses in the years 1989-1999. Przegląd Hodowlany 4, 18-22. (in Palish)
- 12. Gedl-Pieprzyca, I. (2009). Equestrian tourism in Beskid Ni- ski. In K. Chmiel (Ed.), The horse in tourism and recreation (pp. 167-179). Biała Podlaska: PSW. (in Polish)
- 13. Chodkiewicz, K. & Drabek E. (2009). Organisation of horse routes and animation of equestrian recreation as tlie ele- ments of promotion of the Śtate Forests. Studia i Materiały Centrum Edukacji Przyrodniczo-Leśnej 4, 292- 298. (in Pol- ish)
- 14. Chmiel, K. (2008). Equestrian tourism as a chance for the promotion of eastern Poland. In M. Jalinik (Ed.), Innovations in the development of tourism (pp. 87-92). Białystok: Poli- technika Białostocka, (in Polish)
- 15. Krzemień, M.P. (Ed.) (2002). Montane equestrian tourism. Kraków: Ostoja, (in Polish)
- 16. Deszczyńska, A. (2007). Zurawiejka from Dzikie Pola. Koń Polski 9,22-26. (in Polish)
- 17. Poleski Horse Trail. Tourist-environmental map (2007). Lublin: Kartpol. (in Polish)
- 18. http://roztocze.org/pl/page/80/konno-po-roztoczu.html. Retrieved April 28,2011.
- 19. Sawicki, B. & Pietrzak S. (2009). The role of the horse in the development of specialised tourism in rural areas of the Lublin Region. In K. Chmiel (Ed.), The horse in tourism and recreation (pp. 9-18). Biała Podlaska: PSW. (in Polish)
- 20. Herbert, ). (2009). Organisation and management of eques- trian tourism events. In K. Chmiel (Ed.), Thehorsein tourism and recreation (pp. 103-111). Biała Podlaska: PSW. (in Pol- ish)
- 21. Janiszewska, ). & Ignor ). (1998). Equestrian recreation as a chance for development of agrotourism. Przegląd Hodo- wlany 12,22-23. (in Polish)
- 22. Błażejczyk, K. (2004). Bioclimatic conditions of tourist recre- ation in Poland. Warszawa: IG i PZ PAN. (in Polish)
- 23. Lisowska,). (2006). Horse riding as an attractive tourist offer. In A. Dąbrowski & R. Rowiński (Eds.), Strategy of tourism development in Poland for the years 2007-2013. Theoretical assumptions as inspiration for practice (pp. 156-160). War- szawa: AWF. (in Polish)
- 24. )akubiuk, M. (2006). Tourist attractiveness of the stud farm in )anów Podlaski. Zeszyty Dydaktyczno-Naukowe WSHGiT 1,144-158. (in Polish)
- 25. http://www.lubelskie.pl. Retrieved April 27,2011.
- 26. Active tourism in the Lublin Region, (2004). Lublin: Wyd. Urząd Marszałkowski Województwa Lubelskiego, (in Pol- ish)
- 27. Wyżnikiewicz-Nawracala, A. (2002). Horse riding in the motor and psychosocial development of the disabled. Gdańsk: AWFiS. (in Polish)
- 28. Wojciechowski, K.H. (1993). Visual attractiveness of land- scape as a component of recreational values. In M. Pietrzak (Ed.), Ecology of landscape in territorial studies on recre- ational systems (pp. 38-46). Poznań: Wydawnictwo KIBS. (in Polish)
- 29. Kruczek, Z. & Sacha S. (1997). Geography of tourist attrac- tions of Poland. Kraków :Proksenia (in Polish)
- 30. Maruszczak, H. (1972). Lublin-Wolyń uplands. In M. Klima- szewski (Ed.), Geomorphology of Poland 1 (pp. 340-383). Warszawa:PWN. (in Polish)
- 31. Świeca, A. & Brzezińska-Wójcik T. (2009). Regional diversity of geosystems of river catchments of central-eastern Poland in view of studies on outflow of solutions. Prace i Studia Geograficzne41,205-218. (in Polish)
- 32. Gardziel, Z. & Nowak ). (1996). Polygenesis of the relief of the middle part of Polesie Lubelskie based on the example of the vicinity of Sosnowica. Acta Geographica Lodziensia 71, 43-53. (in Polish)
- 33. Harasimiuk, M. & Wojtanowicz ). (1998). Geological struc- ture and land relief of the area of the Łęczna-Włodawa Lakeland. In M. Harasimiuk, Z. Michalczyk & M. Turczyński (Eds.), Łęczna-Włodawa Lakes. Environmental Monograph (pp. 41-53). Lublin: UMCS. (in Polish)
- 34. Michalczyk, Z. (1996). Water relations of tlie Łęczna-Wło- dawa Lakeland. In M. Harasimiuk, Z. Michalczyk & M. Tar- czyński (Eds.), Łęczna-Włodawa lakes. Environmental Mo- nograph (pp. 55-71). Lublin: UMCS. (in Polish)
- 35. Kaszewski, B. (2008). Climate. In S. Uziak & R. Turski (Eds.), Natural Environment of the Lublin Region (pp. 75-111). Lublin: Lubelskie Towarzystwo Naukowe, (in Polish)
- 36. Fijałkowski, D. & Izdebski K. (2008). Vegetation. In S. Uziak & R. Tbrski (Eds.), Natural Environment of the Lublin Region (pp. 317-419). Lublin: Lubelskie Towarzystwo Naukowe, (in Polish)
- 37. Krzymowska-Kostro wieka, A. (1999). Geoecology of tourism and recreation. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN. (in Polish)
- 38. Kondracki, J. & Richling A. (1994) Physicogeographical re- gions. In Atlas of the Republic of Poland. Warszawa: Główny Geodeta Kraju, (in Palish)
- 39. Michalczyk, Z. & Wilgat T. (2008). Waters. In S. Uziak & R. TUrski (Eds.), Natural environment of the Lublin Region (pp.ll3-210). Lublin: Lubelskie Towarzystwo Naukowe (in Palish)
- 40. Wojtanowicz, J. (1992). Physicogeographical division of the Sandomierz Basin. Annales UMCS B, 44/45(1989/1990), 3, 67-93. (in Polish)
- 41. Buraczyński, J. (1993). Development of aeolian processes of the Vistula River level in Roztocze and Sandomierz Basin. Lublin: Wyd. UMCS. (in Palish)
- 42. Wyrzykowski, J. (1984). Optimal periods of the touristic use of the recreational values of the natural environment of Paland. Acta Universitatis WírotislaviensisB, 656,5,123-134. (in Polish)
- 43. Przybyłowska, I. (1978). Ree-form interview with a stan- dardised list of required information and possibility of its application in sociological studies. Przegląd Socjologiczny XXX, 53-68. (in Polish)
- 44. http://www.stadniny.pl. Retrieved April 28,2011.
- 45. http://www.ar.lublin.pl/oferta/. Retrieved March 25,2011.
- 46. http://aktywni.pl/aktualnosci/hubertus-czyli-swieto-jezdzcow/. Retrieved February' 12,2011.
- 47. http://www.galopuje.pl. Retrieved April 28,2011.
- 48. http://www.zamosc.pttk.pl. Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- 49. Kuśmierczyk, P. & Grudzień A. (2009). Economic aspects of the tourist product involving the use of horses in the opinion of owners of agrotourist farms in the Lublin poviat. In K. Chmiel (Ed.), The horse in tourism and recreation (pp. 103-111). Biała Pad laska: PSW. (in Polish)
- 50. Gosik, B. & Piech, M. (2012). The Łódź Horse TYail as an example of a branded tourist product of tlie Łódź Region. Zeszyty Naukowe Uni w. Szczecińskiego, Ekonomiczne Pro- blemy Usług 86,67-81. (in Polish)
Publication order reference