Emotional Intelligence and the Sense of Efficiency of Coaching and Instructing in Wrestling
Languages of publication
Introduction. The aim of this study was to diagnose the level of emotional intelligence and sense of efficiency among the occupational group of coaches and instructors in wrestling. Material and methods. The study involved 27 participants of a training course for coaches and instructors in training (25 men and 2 women). The basic methods of research involved the Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire INTE and the GSES scale for measurement of the sense of efficacy. Their use allowed us to diagnose the average level of emotional intelligence and the sense of self-efficacy. Results. Coaches and instructors are characterised by average level of emotional intelligence and the sense of self-efficacy. First class coaches are characterized by significantly higher levels of emotional intelligence, and the belonging to the group of trainers has no influence on the sense of efficacy. Conclusions. The results of the study can provide guidance to create/modify training programs for sports coaches. Developing mental toughness and improving emotional intelligence should occupy a special place in the training process wrestlers.
1 - 3 - 2012
14 - 6 - 2012
- Faculty of Physical Education and Sport in Biała Podlaska, Department of Psychology, The Josef Pilsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw
- Department of Sports Theory and Disabled People's Sport, The Josef Pilsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw
- Kruszewski, A. (2004). Wrestling - the Basics of Training Theory and Practice. Warszawa: COS. [in Polish]
- Sadowski, J. & Gierczuk, D. (2009). Correlations between selected coordination motor abilities and technical skills of Greco-Roman wrestlers aged 14-15. Arch. Budo 5, 35-39.
- Barbas, I., Kouli O., Bebetsos E., Mirzaei B. & Curby D. G. (2011). The relationship between emotions and confidence among wrestling athletes in Greece. Int. J. Wrestling Science 1(1), 33-42.
- Gierczuk, D. (2008). Level of selected indicators of coordination motor abilities in greco-roman and freestyle wrestlers aged 13-14. Pol. J Sport Tourism 15(4), 192-199.
- Daugs, R. et al. (1991). Teaching and technical improvements in theory and practice. In R. Daugs et al. (Eds.), Teaching and technical improvements. (pp. 19-32). Schorndorf: Hofmann. [in German]
- Kühn, J. (1985). Research on improving the technical coordination of young wrestlers fight. Theorie und Praxis der Körperkultur 11, 848-854. [in German]
- Sadowski, J. & Gierczuk D. (2010). Effectiveness of coordination training in technical preparation of freestyle wrestlers at various levels of sports advancement. Arch. Budo 6, 143-148.
- Gracz, J. & Sankowski T. (2000). Sports psychology. Poznań: AWF. [in Polish]
- Maruszewski, T. & Ścigała E. (1998). Emotions, alexithymia, knowledge. Poznań: Wydawnictwo Fundacji Humaniora. [in Polish]
- Golińska, L. (2002). Please understand, I'm sorry to hurt you. Charaktery 11, 32-33. [in Polish]
- Salovey, P. & Sluyter D. J. (Eds.) (1999). Emotional development and emotional intelligence. Educational problems. Poznań: Dom Wydawniczy Rebis. [in Polish]
- Goleman, D. (1997). Emotional Intelligence. Poznań: Media Rodzina. [in Polish]
- Jaworowska, A. & Matczak A. (2001). Emotional intelligence questionnaire. Handbook. Warszawa: Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych PTP. [in Polish]
- Schutte, N. S., Malouff J. M., Thorsteinsson E. B., Bhullar N. & Rooke S. E. (2007). A metaanalytic investigation of the relationship between emotional intelligence and health. Pers. Indiv. Differ. 42, 921-933.[Crossref]
- Bandura, A. (1997). Self-efficacy: The Exercise of Control. New York: H. Freeman.
- Buckworth, J. & Dishman R. K. (2007). Exercise adherence. In G. Tenenbaum & R. C. Eklund (Eds.), Handbook of sport psychology (pp. 509-536). New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Juczyński, Z. (2001). Measurement Tools in the Promotion and Psychology of Health. Warszawa: PTP. [in Polish]
- Schwarzer, R. (1997). Self-efficacy in taking and continuation of health behaviours. The existing theoretical approaches and a new mode. In I. Heszen-Niejodek & H. Sęk (Eds.), Health psychology (pp. 175-206). Warszawa: PWN. [in Polish]
- Zimbardo, P. G. (1999). Psychology and Life. Warszawa: PWN. [in Polish]
- Lane, A. M., Thelwell R. C., Lowther J. & Devonport T. J. (2009). Emotional intelligence and psychological skills use among athletes. Soc. Behav. Pers. 37, 195-202.[WoS][Crossref]
- Crombie, D., Lombard C. & Noakes T. (2009). Emotional intelligence scores predict team sports performance in a national cricket competition. Int. J. Sport Sci. Coach. 4, 209-224.[WoS][Crossref]
- Larson, A. (2006). Student perception of caring teaching in physical education. Sport Educ. Soc. 11, 337-352.[Crossref]
- Naylor, A. (2007). EQ versus IQ in the athletic training clinical environment. Athletic Therapy Today 12, 39-41.
- Herzig, M. (2002). Psychological factors and skills and the effectiveness of a coach. Sport Wyczynowy 5-6, 23-31. [in Polish]
- Brewer, B. W. (2000). Doing sport psychology in the coaching role. In M. B. Andersen (Ed.), Doing sport psychology (pp. 237-247). Champaign: Human Kinetics.
- Panfil, R. (2007). Coaching a Skilled Player. Wrocław: Akademia Umiejętności Management & Coaching. [in Polish]
- Włodarczyk, P. & Ziółkowski A. (2010). Coaching as a tool to support player development. In M. Krawczyński (Ed.), Children and youth sorts psychology (pp. 213-22). Gdańsk: Pomorska Federacja Sportu. [in Polish]
- Neale, S., Spencer-Arnell L. & Wilson L. (2010). Emotional intelligence coaching. Warszawa: Wolters Kluwer Polska. [in Polish]
- Gould, D., Greenleaf C., Guiñan D. & Chung Y. (2002). A survey of U. S. Olympic coaches: Variables perceived to have influenced athlete performances and coach effectiveness. The Sport Psychologist 16, 229-250.
- Nowicki, D. (2010). Psychological skills of a coach and their application in the training and competitive process. Sport Wyczynowy 2, 104-113. [in Polish]
- Rutkowska, K. (2006). The level of social competence of coaches and sports instructors. In D. Parzelski (Ed.), Psychology in sports - theory, research and practice (pp. 70-83). Warszawa: UW. [in Polish]
- Perkowski, K. (2009). Improvement of Professional Competence Trainers competitive sports in Poland. Warszawa: AWF. [in Polish]
- Andersen, M. B., Van Raalte J. L. & Harris G. (2000). Supervision II: a case study. In M. B. Andersen (Ed.), Doing sport psychology (pp. 167-179). Champaign: Human Kinetics.
- Van Raalte, J. L. & Andersen M. B. (2000). Supervision I: from models to doing. In M. B. Andersen (Ed.), Doing sport psychology (pp. 153-165). Champaign: Human Kinetics.
- Łazowski, J. (2002). Balint group training. Polska Medycyna Rodzinna 4, 31-34. [in Polish]
- Wasilewski, B. & Engel L. (2011). Balint group training. Theory and application. Warszawa: Eneteia, Wydawnictwo Psychologii i Kultury. [in Polish]
- Czerniawska, M. (2002). Empathy and the system of value. Przegląd Psychologiczny 45(1), 7-18. [in Polish]
- Mellibruda, J. (1980). I-you-we. Psychological Possibilities of Improving Relations among People. Warszawa: Nasza Księgarnia. [in Polish]
- Sapilak, B. J. & Steciwko A. (2002). Professional burnout - predispositions, symptoms, prevention. Polska Medycyna Rodzinna 4, 337-341. [in Polish]
- Makara-Studzińska, M. & Płotka A. (1997). The syndrome of professional burnout. Pielęgniarka i Położna 6, 4-5. [in Polish]
- Maslach, Ch. (2000). Professional burnout - multidimensional prospects. In H. Sęk (Ed.), Professional burnout - the reasons, mechanism, prevention (pp. 13-31). Warszawa: PWN. [in Polish]
- Szlendak, B. (2002). Symptoms mechanisms and causes of professional burnout of nurses. Pielęgniarka i Położna 7, 18-21. [in Polish]
- Tucholska, S. (2001). The concept of professional burnout according to Christina Masalach: development stages. Przegląd Psychologiczny 44(3), 301-317. [in Polish]
- Cashmore, E. (2002). Sport Psychology. The Key Concepts. London, New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Eklund, R. C. & Cresswell S. L. (2007). Athlete burnout. In G. Tenenbaum & R. C. Eklund (Eds.), Handbook of sport psychology (pp. 621-641). New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Łuszczyńska, A. (2011). Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity. Clinical Issues. Warszawa: PWN. [in Polish]
- Vealey, R. S., Armstrong L., Comar W. & Greenleaf C. A. (1998). Influence of perceived coaching behaviours on burnout and competitive anxiety in female college athletes. J. Appl. Sport Psychol. 10, 279-38.
- Kowalczyk, D. (1996). Coaching staff in Poland. Trening 2, 43-52. [in Polish]
- Kamień, D. (2003). Female coach - a voice in discussion. In J. Kłodecka-Różalska (Ed.), A sportswoman is a successful woman … Benefits and barriers to women's sports activities (pp. 159-160). Warszawa: Polskie Stowarzyszenie Sportu Kobiet, Instytut Sportu. [in Polish]
Publication order reference