Diversity of Personal Resources VS. The Quality of Life of Students from the University of Physical Education in Warsaw
Languages of publication
Introduction. The aim of the paper was to determine the level of diversity in selected personal resources and deficits of students of the Faculty of Physical Education and Sport (FPES) of the University of Physical Education in Warsaw, who exhibit diversity in the level of their quality of life. Material and methods. 205 persons participated in the study. By means of the Satisfaction with Life Scale (SWLS), the level of the respondents' quality of life was determined. Next, the diversity of personal resources level and deficits in relation to the diverse level of life were defined. Personal resources and deficits were determined by means of the following research methods: Satisfaction with Life Scale (SWLS), Personality Inventory (NEO-FFI), Hope for Success Questionnaire (KNS), Generalised Self-Efficacy Scale (GSES), Life Orientation Test (LOT-R), Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), Value Crisis Questionnaire (KKW). Results. High level of the quality of life was determined in one out of four students. The academic youth characterised by high level of the quality of life were more extrovert, optimistic, success driven and self-assured. On the other hand, they exhibited low level of neuroticism, value crisis and depressive disorders. Conclusions. The academic youth ought to be supported in their search for values and the meaning of life by modifications in curricula so as to actively stimulate the development of students' personal resources co-determining their high quality of life.
1 - 12 - 2011
1 - 3 - 2012
- Seligmann, M. E. P. (2005). Positive psychology. In J. Czapiński (Ed.), Positive psychology. Study of happiness, health, strength and man's virtues (pp. 359-379). Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN. [in Polish]
- Kobau, R., Seligmann M. E.P, Petersom Ch., Diener E., Zack M. M., Chapman D. et al. (2001). Mental heath promotion in public health: Perspectives and strategies from positive psychology. Am. J. Public Health 101, 8-19.
- Gulla, B. & Tucholska K. (2007). Positive psychology: scientific-research and application aims and the way of their realization. In P. Francuz & W. Otrębski (Eds.), Studies of psychology at KUL (pp. 133-152). Lublin: Wydawnictwo KUL. [in Polish]
- Oleś, M. (2010). Theoretical models of quality of life of children and youth: comparison. Psychologia Jakości Życia 9(2), 267-288. [in Polish]
- Kochman, D. (2007). Quality of life. Theoretical analisis. Zdrowie Publiczne 117(2), 242-248. [in Polish]
- Trzebiatowski, J. (2011). Quality of life in the perspective of social and medical sciences - classification of definitions. Hygeia Public Health 46(1), 25-31. [in Polish]
- Heszen, I. & Sęk H. (2007). Health psychology. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN. [in Polish]
- Ogińska-Bulik, N. & Juczyński Z. (2008). Personal determinants of life satisfaction. In I. Heszen & J. Życińska (Eds.), Health psychology. In the search for positive inspirations (pp. 89-102). Warszawa: Wydawnictwo SWPS. [in Polish]
- Chodkiewicz, J. (2011). To struggle against the world. The meaning of personal resources. Retrieved September 10th, 2011, from
- Dziurowicz-Kozłowska, A. (2002). Around the quality of life definition. Psychologia Jakości Życia 2, 77-99. [in Polish]
- Turosz, M. A. & Bochenek A. (2009). Personality conditionings of life satisfaction of 1st-year students of the Faculty of Physical Education in Biała Podlaska. In A. Wolski (Ed.), Wellness and success in sport (pp. 372-380). Lublin: Wydawnictwo NeuroCentrum.
- Turosz, M. A. & Olech A. (2011). The quality of life and contentment with the realisation of partial satisfactions of students from the Faculty of Physical Education and Sport in Biała Podlaska. Pol. J. Sport Tourism 18(3), 234-243.
- Turosz, M. A. (2009). The level of the quality of life vs. psychological resources of highly trained athletes. In E. Rutkowska (Ed.), Wellness and success in sport (pp. 207-216). Lublin: Wydawnictwo NeuroCentrum.
- Turosz, M. A. (2011). Personal resources and deficiency vs. quality of life of students from University of Physical Education in Warsaw. Problemy Higieny i Epidemiologii 92(2), 201-210. [in Polish]
- Juczyński, Z. (2001). Measurement Tools in Promotion and Health Psychology. Warszawa: Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych PTP. [in Polish]
- Zawadzki, B., Strelau J., Szczepaniak P. & Śliwińska M. (1998). Personality inventory NEO-FFI by Costa and McCrae. The Polish adaptation. Handbook. Warszawa: Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych PTP. [in Polish]
- Łaguna, M., Trzebiński J. & Zięba M. (2005). Hope and Success Questionnaire. Handbook. Warszawa: Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych PTP. [in Polish]
- Oleś, P. (1998). Value Crisis Questionnaire. Handbook. Warszawa: Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych PTP. [in Polish]
- Czapiński, J. (2005). Personality of happy person. In J. Czapiński (Ed.), Positive psychology (pp. 51-102). Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN. [in Polish]
- Unalan, D., Celikten M., Soyuer F. & Ozturk A. (2008). Quality of life in Turkish university students and relationship to levels of state - trait anxiety. International Journal Social Behavior & Personality 36(3), 417-424.
- Nowacki, T. W. (2007). Attitudes and values - problem outline. In E. I. Laska (Ed.), Teachers' education in the context of school transformation (pp. 173-192). Rzeszów: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Rzeszowskiego. [in Polish]
- Wnuk, M. & Marcinkowski J. T. (2010). The role of values for meaning of life and students' life satisfaction. Problemy Higieny i Epidemiologii 91(3), 458-462. [in Polish]
- Mackiewicz, W. (2004). About value and sense of life. Edukacja Filozoficzna 37, 123-154. [in Polish]
- Joshanloo, M. & Afshari S. (2011). Big Five personality traits and self-esteem as predictors of life satisfaction in Iran Muslim University students. Journal of Happiness Studies 12(1), 105-113.[WoS][Crossref]
- Kozielecki, J. (2009). Hope - the key to art of life. Nauka 2, 7-14. [in Polish]
Publication order reference