Influence of preliminary osmotic dehydration on drying kinetics and final quality of carrot (Daucus carota L.)
Languages of publication
This paper concerns convective drying of carrot preliminary dehydrated in aqueous solutions of three types of osmotic agents (sucrose, fructose, glucose). Three solution concentrations (20, 40 and 60%) were examined to work out efficient conditions of osmotic dewatering. The parameters such as water loss (WL), solid gain (SG) and osmotic drying rate (ODR) indicating the real efficiency of osmotic dehydrations (OD) were determined. The samples dehydrated with osmotic solutions underwent further convective drying to analyze influence of dehydration process on drying kinetics and final products quality. The quality of products was assessed on the basis of visual appearance of the samples and colorimetric measurements. It was found that osmotic pretreatment improves significantly the final product quality as the samples were less deformed and their colour was better preserved compared to samples, which had not been preliminarily dehydrated. Preliminary dehydration, however, did not influence significantly the overall drying time of the samples.
1 - 9 - 2011
5 - 10 - 2011
- Chua K.J., Mujumdar A.S., Hawlader M.N.A, Chou S.K., Ho J.C., 2001. Convective drying of agricultural products. Effect of continuous and stepwise change in drying air temperature. Dry. Technol., 19, 1949-1960. DOI: 10.1081/DRT-100107282[Crossref]
- Konopacka D., Jesionkowska K., Klewicki R., Bonazzi C., 2009. The effect of different osmotic agents on the sensory perception of osmo-treated dried fruit. J. Hortic. Sci. Biotechnol. ISAFRUIT Special Issue, 80-84.
- Kowalski S.J., Mierzwa D., Śronek B., 2009. Drying of osmotically dehydrated biological materials. Chem. Proc. Eng., 30, 559-568.
- Krokida M.K., Tsami E., Maroulis Z.B., 1998. Kinetics on color changes during drying of some fruits and vegetables. Dry. Technol., 16, 667-685. DOI: 10.1080/07373939808917429[Crossref]
- Kudra T., 2004. Energy aspects in drying. Dry. Technol., 22, 917-932. DOI: 10.1081/DRT-120038572[Crossref]
- Lewicki P.P., Lenart A., 2006. Osmotic dehydration of fruits and vegetables, In: Mujumdar A.S. (Ed.), Handbook of industrial drying, 3-rd edition, Taylor & Francis Group, LLC, 665-688.
- Maftoonazad N., 2010. Use of osmotic dehydration to improve fruits and vegetables quality during processing. Recent Pat. on Food, Nutr. Agric., 2, 233-242. DOI: 10.2174/1876142911002030233[Crossref]
- Markowski M., Stankiewicz I., Zapotoczny P., Borowska J., 2006. Effect of variety on drying characteristics and selected quality attributes of dried carrots. Dry. Technol., 24, 1011-1018. DOI: 10.1080/07373930600776191[Crossref]
- Min Z., Hao J., Rui-Xin L., 2010. Recent developments in microwave-assisted drying of vegetables, fruits, and aquatic products - drying kinetics and quality considerations. Dry. Technol., 28, 1307-1316. DOI: 10.1080/07373937.2010.524591[WoS][Crossref]
- Mujumdar A.S., Law C.L., 2010. Drying technology: Trends and applications in postharvest processing. Food Bioproc. Technol., 3, 843-852. DOI 10.1007/s11947-010-0353-1[Crossref]
- Mujumdar A.S., Passos M.L., 2000. Innovation in drying technologies, In: Mujumdar A.S. (Ed.), Drying technology in agriculture and food sciences. Science Publishers Inc., Enfield, New Hampshire.
- Pan Y.K., Zhao L.J., Zhang Y., Chen G., Mujumdar A.S., 2003. Osmotic dehydration pretreatment in drying of fruits and vegetables. Dry. Technol., 21, 1101-1114. DOI: 10.1081/DRT-120021877[Crossref]
- Sagar V.R., Suresh Kumar P., 2010. Recent advances in drying and dehydration of fruits and vegetables: A review. J. Food Sci. Technol. 47, 15-26. DOI: 10.1007/s13197-010-0010-8[WoS][Crossref]
- Santos P.H.S., Silva M.A., 2008. Retention of vitamin c in drying processes of fruits and vegetables-A review. Dry. Technol., 26, 1421-1437. DOI: 10.1080/07373930802458911[Crossref][WoS]
- Vázquez-Vila M. J., Chenlo-Romero F., Moreira-Martínez R., Pacios-Penelas B., 2009. Dehydration kinetics of carrots (Daucus carota L.) in osmotic and air convective drying processes. Span. J. Agric. Res., 7, 869-875.[Crossref]
Publication order reference