The 2009 Match-fixing Incident in Taiwan’s Professional Baseball League
Languages of publication
The Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL) was the first professional sports league ever created in Taiwan, but has been plagued by a series of match-fixing scandals starting from 1996. However, the 2009 scandal happened to the most popular club, Brother Elephants. The corrupt “Windshield Wiper” ring was the mastermind behind whole affair. Twenty-six former and active players and coaches were involved that put the games’ ethics and integrity in jeopardy. In particular, star players such as Cao Jinhui and Chen Zhiyuan were banished from baseball forever, which certainly shocked the public. Accordingly, the CPBL was again on the verge of disbandment. Facing such a crisis, fans organized a street protest and spontaneously demanded that the government take actions against such an adverse environment. Subsequently, the authorities stipulated several plans in order to revive the “national sport” people used to love.
31 - 10 - 2012
- Cai, M. (2008). Aiguo zhubo bangqiu meng /The baseball dream of a patriotic anchor/. Taipei: Gaobao guoji.
- Chen, P. (2009, November 1). Woai bangqiu! Xiang buyao dao! Qiumi shang jietou jiuchu heidao /I love baseball! Don’t disband the Elephants! Fans on streets to get rid of the gangsters/. Lianhe wanbao /United Evening News/, A2.
- Chin, K.L. (2003). Heijin: Organized crime, business, and politics in Taiwan. London: M.E. Sharpe.
- Du, L. (2010, April 23). Liwei chen shuhui juban guanshang zhibang bisai lieru huwai jiaoxue gongting hui /Legislator Chen Shuhui held a hearing on professional baseball games to be included in outdoor teaching curriculum/. Yitu xinwen /E2 News/, retrieved 2010 May 30 from, http://news.e2.com.tw/utf-8/2010-4/1315523.htm
- Fu, Z. (1997). Jingbao zhibang heimu /Expose the dark sides of professional baseball/. Taipei: Shangzhi wenhua.
- He, X. (2009, October 27). Jiaqiu jituan cong 3 yue jiu kaishi reshen /The match-fixing ring started to warm up in March/. Lianhe wanbao /United Evening News/, A2.
- Liao, S. (1995). Huangchao /The yellow tide/. Taipei: Yeqiu ren.
- Lin, D. (2006). Cong jianong kan rizhi shiqi taiwan bangqiu yundong de fanzhan /The study of baseball development during Japanese rule through the Jianong team/. Taiwan shiliao yanjiu /Taiwan Historical Materials Studies/, 28, 67-111.
- Lin, S. (2008, September 12). Luwai xiaojiang kan faguo fazhan menkan /Overseas young players looks at the requirements for returning home/. Ziyou shibao, retrieved 2010 April 27 from, http://www.libertytimes.com.tw/2008/new/sep/12/today-sp3.htm
- Lou, J. (2008, December 24). Juda fangshui qiu zhou siqi zhengji rizi nanguo /Refusing to throw games, Zhou Siqi was subdued for an entire season/. Lianhe bao /United Daily/, AA3. Lou, J., Lan, Z., and Cai, Z. (2010, February 11). Shean renshu duo xiongdi xiang qiuchang zhibi yiyuan /Involved players increasing, Brother Elephants asks for millions of dollars of compensation/. Lianhe bao /United Daily/, A5.
- Miguo (2006). Wanquan ranshao bangqiu buluo /Complete combustion, baseball village/. Taipei: Xiangying wenhua.
- Shoujuzi (2003). Canlan de qiuji /The splendid baseball season/. Taipei: Lianhe wenxue.
- Su, W. (2010, December 17). Zhishi da jiaqiu zhongru shen pan yinian ban /Instructed to fix games, Nakagomi Shin sentenced to one year and eight months/. Lianhe bao /United Daily/, B1.
- Wang, H. (2004). Feixiang 20 nian xiongdi ganen jishi /The twenty years of flying elephants: Records of gratificationfrom Brother/. Taipei: Minsheng bao.
- Weng, Z. (2009). Zhonghua zhibang guanzhong renshu yingxiang yinsu zhi tantao /The research of factors affecting Chinese Professional Baseball League’s attendances/. Changrong yundong xiuxian xuekan /Chang Jung Journal ofSport and Leisure/, 6, 24-33.
- Wu, J. (2006). Taiwan xiongdi xiang zhibang gean yanjiu /The case study of Taiwan’s Brother Elephants baseball club/. Dazhuan tiyu /The University Physical Education and Sports/, 85, 79-85.
- Yang, X. (2009, October 30). Qiu yiying dianming yushua de laoban /Qiu Yiying points finger at windshield wiper’s boss/. Lianhe bao /United Daily/, A3. Yu, J. (2007). Playing in isolation: the history of baseball in Taiwan. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.
- Yu, J., and Bairner, A. (2011). The Confucian legacy and its implications for physical education in Taiwan. EuropeanPhysical Education Review, 17(2), 219-230. [WoS]
- Yu, J., and Gao, K. (2010). Guojun bangqiu shi yanjiu yi kongjun bangqiu dui de huangji qi weili 1969-1972 /The research of baseball history in the military: The case study of the golden period of the Air Force team during 1969 and 1972/. Jingji yundong /Athletics and Sports/, 12(1), 10-24.
- Yu, J., and Wang, W. (2009). Bangqiu quanqiu hua dui taiwan de bangqiu chanye he qiuyuan wailiu zhi chongji /The impact of baseball globalization on Taiwan’s baseball industry and player exodus/. Guomin tiyu jikan /National SportsQuarterly/, 38(2), 54-59.
- Zhang, J. (2005). 2004 nian zhonghua zhibang xiongdi xiang zanzhu shang zhi cuxiao fangshi chutan /The preliminary analysis of sponsors’ tactics through Brother Elephants in 2004/. Dazhuan tiyu /The University Physical Education andSports/, 78, 50-57.
Publication order reference