Localised Exoticism: Developments and Features of Belly Dance in Taiwan
Languages of publication
Belly dance has become one of the most popular dances in Taiwan today, with women of various ages participating in this imported dance. With respect to this speedy expansion, the purpose of this study is to investigate current developments, and to distinguish features of Taiwanese belly dance. The method adopted is literature analysis: a large number of Internet news items were collected to capture the trend of belly dancing in Taiwan. This study concludes that belly dance in Taiwan is primarily presented as: an exercise that is beneficial for health; widely accessible and partially embedded in local life; an exercise for all age groups and genders; a blend of multiple cultural elements; outstanding dancers acclaimed as the pride of Taiwan. The representation showed that the development of belly dance was influenced by the Taiwanese social background. Within the Taiwanese cultural landscape of meanings, belly dance moves between the exotic and the local. This study argues that belly dance is better described as "localised-exoticism" in Taiwan.
1 - 6 - 2012
21 - 6 - 2012
- Al-Rawi, R.-F.B. (2003). Grandmother's Secrets: The Ancient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dancing. Northampton: Interlink.
- Arabesque Bellydance. Retrieved, September 1, 2010, from
- Buonaventura, W. (1990). Serpent of the Nile: Women and Dance in the Arab World. New York: Interlink.
- Chang, X.H. (2009). Glamorous Dance in Taiwan: Two Myths of Women's Bodies. Forum in Women's and Gender Studies, 90, 2-3.
- Chen, S.L. (2007). A Study on the Current State of Belly Dancing's Development in Taiwan 2007. Retrieved June 15, 2010 from
- Wang, I.C. (2010, August). The Strength of Insistence Comes from Aspiration-Yu-Ting Sun. Global Views Monthly, 290, 21-22.
- Deagon, A. (1999). Feminism and Belly dance. Habibi, 17(4), 8-13.
- Eshel, R. (2003). Concert Dance in Israel. Dance Research Journal, 35(1), 61-80.
- Fisher, J.M. (2003). Orientalism, Representation and Created Fantasies: The Transformation of Traditional Middle Eastern Dances to Belly Dance (Unpublished master's thesis). Florida Atlantic University, Florida.
- Fisher, J. & Shay, A. (2009). When Men Dance: Choreographing Masculinities Across Borders. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Foley, C. (2001). Perceptions of Irish Step Dance: National, Global, and Local. Dance Research Journal, 33(1), 34-45.[Crossref]
- Forner, M.L. (1996). The Transmission of Oriental Dance in the United States: From Raqs Sharqi to Belly Dance (Unpublished master's thesis). University of California, California.
- Keft-Kennedy, V. (2005). How Does She Do That? Belly Dancing and the Horror of a Flexible Women. Women's Study, 34, 279-300.
- Kraus, R. (2009). Straddling the Sacred and Secular: Creating a Spiritual Experience through Belly Dance. Sociological Spectrum, 29, 598-625.[Crossref]
- Kwok, M. (1979). Dance and Cultural Identity among the Paiwan Tribe of Pingtung County, Taiwan. Dance Research Journal, 11(2), 35-40.
- Lee, P.C. (2007). A Study on Belly Dance Development. Journal of Internet Sociology, 65. Retrieved from http://www.nhu.edu.tw/~society/e-j/65/65-03.htm
- Lin, C.I. (2007). The Study on News Service of Chinese Portal Sites (Unpublished master's thesis). National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Oatley, D. (1999). Staging Unstable Bodies: The Practice of Oriental Dance in the West within the Context of the Postmodern. Habibi, 17(4), 18-21.
- Potuoğlu-Cook, Ö. (2006). Beyond the Glitter: Belly Dance and Neoliberal Gentrification in Istanbul. Cultural Anthropology, 21(4), 633-660.
- Rasmussen, A. (1992). An Evening in the Orient: The Middle Eastern Nightclub in America. Asian Music, 23(2), 63-87.[Crossref]
- Sachs, C. (1937). World History of Dance. New York: Norton.
- Sellers-Young, B. (1992). Raqs El Sharqi: Transculturation of a Folk Form. Journal of Popular Culture, 26(2), 141-152.
- Shay, A. & Sellers-Young, B. (2003). Belly dance: Orientalism; Exoticism: Self-exoticism. Dance Research Journal, 35(1), 13-37.
- Tsai, S.Z. (2009). Sexy Dancer or Generative Goddess. Forum in Women's and Gender Studies, 90, 4-14.
- Usner, E.M. (2001). Dancing in the Past, Living in the Present: Nostalgia and Race in Southern California. Dance Research Journal, 33(2), 87-101.[Crossref]
- CNA News, Shake belly, dancing to a healthy and happy life. Retrieved, August 25, 2010, from
- CNA News, Spring Concert in Taichung City. Retrieved, August 25, 2010, from
- CNA News, Creative Belly Dance Competition Is Coming Soon. Retrieved, August 27, 2010, from
- CNA News, Cultural Industry Exposition between Taiwan and Mainland China in Xiamen. Retrieved, August 28, 2010, from
- CNA News, Taiwanese Belly Dancer Lo Chon-Yu Wins Big Prize in Seoul. Retrieved, August 28, 2010, from
- LT Sports, Belly Dance, Aerobic Boxing, Exercise Together in the 21th AFAA Congress. Retrieved, August 28, 2010, from
- LT Sports, The 4th National Dance Exercise Performance and Awarding Ceremony is held on the 9th. Retrieved, August 28, 2010, from
- LT Sports, Belly Dance Grand Meeting, December 30 in Taipei. Retrieved, August 28, 2010, from
- LT Sports, More than 800 Taiwanese enthusiasts were attracted to the selection for World Belly Dance Competition. Retrieved, August 28, 2010, from
- LT Sports, The Pride of Taiwan-Nancy Kao. Retrieved, August 26, 2010, from
- National Association for the Promotion of Community Universities. Retrieved, September 5, 2010, from
- Now News, Fruit Festival of Jhuolan Township is Coming Soon. Retrieved, August 26, 2010, from
- Songshan Community University. Retrieved, December 16, 2010, from
- Taiwan Network Information Center. Retrieved, August 26, 2010, from
- Taiwan Review, Belly Dance in the Big City. Retrieved, August 26, 2010, from
- Tauyuan Community University. Retrieved, December 16, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, People dance and workout in Taipei City Hospital. Retrieved, August 18, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, Grandmoms and Moms, Belly Dancing Together. Retrieved, August 18, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, Get Rid of 65kg by Belly Dance. Retrieved, August 18, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, Valentine's Day evening party, the later the prettier. Retrieved, August 25, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, Fun eco-friendly carnival. Retrieved, August 25, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, Lontan Musical art season. Retrieved, August 25, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, 69 buskers are selected. Retrieved, August 26, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, Bring Warmth to Penghu Jail. Retrieved, August 30, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, 1000 Students Show Accomplishments in County Plaza. Retrieved, August 30, 2010, from
- The Liberty Times, Get Free Tse-ra Noodle in Lujhou Township. Retrieved, August 30, 2010, from
- The Taiwan Dance & Sport Federation. Retrieved, September 5, 2010, from
- Yahoo News Taiwan, Award Ceremony for Father of Single-parent Family. Retrieved, August 26, 2010, from
Publication order reference