The Status of Physical Education in Cypriot Schools
Languages of publication
A few years ago, comparative research was conducted in thirty-five countries in order to discover the innovative and stimulating aspects of physical education (PE) found all over the world. Cyprus was not included in that special study. The present and future position of PE is a crucial and critical issue in Cyprus. Therefore the author of this paper has carried out an investigation with the aim of revealing the status of PE in the Cypriot educational system and comparing it with other countries. This paper was written on the basis of that research. The Cypriot investigation found in this paper uses the same concept and methods as were utilised in the aforementioned cross-cultural study; the results are presented according to similar dimensions. The data was collected by documentary analysis and in-depth interviews. The results indicate that the status of PE in Cyprus is low and there are urgent problems that need to be seriously considered by the authorities of the Ministry of Education and Culture. Efforts have already been made by decision-makers to promote the development of a new curriculum, be introduced in future school years.
1 - 12 - 2010
23 - 12 - 2010
- Brandl-Bredenbeck, H. P. (2005). Comparative Physical Education -why, what and how? In U. Püse, M. Gerber (Eds.), International comparison of physical education. Concepts - problems - prospects. Oxford UK: Meyer and Meyer Sport.
- Bronikowski, M., Krol-Zielinska, M & Tarnas, J. (2000). Motor fitness and social development in 13 year old pupils from Poland. Gymnica, 3(2), 41-49.
- Christodoulou, D. (2009). Cypriot PE Teachers' Opinions on Occupational Prestige and Social Capital. Physical Culture and Sport. Studies and Research, vol. XLVI, 116-122. DOI: 10.2478/v10141-009-0009-x.[Crossref]
- Christodoulou, D. (2010) Health awareness and sporting behaviour of qualified Cypriot physical education teachers. Biomedical Human Kinetics, 2, 54-57. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-010-0013-y.[Crossref]
- Clea, C. (1997). διδασκαλια τoω μαθηματσ τησ φϵσηκησ αγωησ ατην/Teaching physical education in Cyprus since British occupancy and synchronized tendencies - historical approach.
- Committee on Educational Reform (2004). Δημоκρατικη Democratic and humanistic education in the Euro-Cyprian policies/ -
- Doll-Tepper, G. (2005). Foreword In U. Püse, M. Gerber (Eds.), International comparison of physical education. Concepts - problems - prospects. Oxford UK: Meyer and Meyer Sport.
- Haag, H. & Haag, G. (2003). Dictionary on sport, physical education and sport science. Kiel: Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften.
- Hardman, K. (2003). Worldwide survey on the state and status of physical education at schools: foundations for deconstruction and reconstruction of physical education (pp. 15-34). Schorndorf: Hofmann.
- Hardy, C. (1997). Sources of conflict during the school experience of pre-service physical education teachers. European Physical Education Review, 3(2), 116-128.[Crossref]
- Jarosz, M. & Rychlik, E. (2008). Overweight and obesity among adults in Poland, 1983-2005. Advances in Medical Sciences, 53(2), 158-166.
- Jabłońska, J., Raganowski, P., Pyra, K., Jurkiewicz, J. & Mandryk, M. (2008). Obesity as a problem of contemporary medicine. Annales Universitatis Maria Curie - Skłodowska, vol. XXI (1), 23.
- Karagiorgi, Y. & Nicolaidou, M. (2010). Opening Pandora's box: school autonomy in Cyprus and emerging implications for school leaders. Management in Education, 24(2), 62-68.
- Kientzler, L. A. (2008). Wellness: health, nutrition and physical education. 21st Century Education: A Reference Handbook. SAGE publications - online http://www.sage-ereference.com/education/Article_n41.html.
- McKenzie, T. L. (2007). The preparation of physical educators: a public health perspective. Quest, 59(4), 346-357.
- Pühse, U. & Gerber, M. (2005). International comparison of physical education. Concepts - problems - prospects. Meyer and Meyer Sport. Oxford UK.
- Savva, S. C., Kourides, Y., Tornaritis, M., Epiphaniou-Savva, M., Chadjigeorgiou, C. & Kafatos, A. (2002). Obesity in children and adolescents in Cyprus - prevalence and predisposing factors. International Journal of Obesity, 26, 1036-1045.[Crossref]
- Special Eurobarometer (2004). The citizens of the European Union and sport. Summary. European Commission.
- Trost, S. (2006). Public health and physical education. Handbook of Physical Education. SAGE publications - online http://www.sage-ereference.com/hdbk_physed/Article_n10.html.
- Wanxiang Y. & Zenong, Y. (2006). Physical education. Encyclopedia of Educational Leadership and Administration. SAGE publications - online
- WHO (2003). Health and development through physical activity and sport. Geneva.
- Yiallourides, G. (1998). Factors influencing the attitudes of 9-14 year old Cypriot pupils towards physical education. Unpublished PhD thesis, University of Manchester.
Publication order reference