Directions and ways of executing judo throws during judo contests as a control criterion of an individual’s training versatility
Languages of publication
Background: Symmetry of movement actions in sport is considered as an element of versatilitywhich enlarges an individual’s technical and tactical capacity. Asymmetry usuallylimits this capacity and may also lead to overstrains of one side of the body andcause an injury. The research is done on health aspects and practical improvement insport contest. Up-to-date research on judo contest effectiveness has been aimed atthe ability of throwing into various directions. There is no material and data as comparedto the directions of throwing and effective directions of the opponent’s attack.The purpose of this research was to find relationships between the directions of theexecuted throws and the side of competitors’ bodies used while throwing.Material/Methods: Within 2005-2010 1,968 judo contests were recorded by means of a graphic method ofrecording of a judo contest during 587 domestic and international judo competitions. 12competitors (6 men and 6 women) were subject to our observations. The effectivenessof throws performed into 4 directions and of the used body side was determined on thegrounds of the average number of points won or lost during a contest.Results: The effectiveness of judo throws performed to the left direction or by using the leftside of the body is similar or higher to those performed to the other side. There isa relationship between the dominant part of the body while throwing and the directionsof throwing, and the defense efficiency in relation to the directions and ways ofexecuting throws by opponents.Conclusions: The effectiveness of the left attack directions and using the left side of the body mayresult from the training practice. It seems rational to find reasons for such high effectivenessof the
1 - 12 - 2012
28 - 12 - 2012
- University of Physical Education and Sport, The Chair of Team Sports and Martial Arts, The Unit of Martial Arts, Poland
- Gdansk University of Physical Education and Sport, The Chair of Natural Sciences, The Unit of Physiology, Poland
- Gdansk University of Physical Education and Sport, The Chair of Individual Sports, The Unit of the Theory of Sport and Motorics, Poland
- 1. Starosta W. Stronne zróżnicowanie techniki ćwiczeń zawodników rozmaitych dyscyplin sportu [in Polish, summary in English] [The sided diversification of the exercise technique in competitors of various sports disciplines]. Warszawa - Supraśl: Międzynarodowe Stowarzyszenie Motoryki Sportowej, WSWFiT;
- 2. Wang HK, Cochrane T. Mobility impairment, muscle imbalance, muscle weakness, scapular asymmetry and shoulder injury in elite volleyball athletes. J Sport Med Phys Fit 2001;41(3):403-410.
- 3. Idoate F, Calbet JAL, Izquierdo M, Sanchis-Moysi J. Soccer Attenuates the Asymmetry of Rectus Abdominis Muscle Observed in Non-Athletes. PLoS ONE 2011;1-7 [www.plosone.org].
- 4. Sterkowicz S, Lech G, Blecharz J. Effects of laterality on the technical/tactical behavior in view the results of judo fights. Archives of Budo 2010;6:173-177.
- 5. Hicks S, Soames N. 50 Great Judo Champions. London: Ippon Books Ltd.; 2001
- 6. Adams N. Grips - judo masterclass techniques. London: Ippon Books Ltd.; 1990.
- 7. Smaruj M, Laskowski R, Adam M. Symmetry and asymmetry performing throws during judo combat of women. 3rd [third] International Judo Federation World Research Symposium, Osaka, Japan, 9 September 2003 .
- 8. Adam M, Smaruj M, Laskowski R. Graficzna metoda rejestracji walki judo [in Polish] [A graphic method of registering a judo fight]. Sport Wyczynowy 2005;5/6:33-43.
- 9. Kano J. Kodokan Judo. Edited under the supervision of the Kodokan Editorial Committee. Tokyo, New York, London: Kodansha International; 1994.
- 10. Adam M, Smaruj M, Tyszkowski S. The diagnosis of the technical-tactical preparation of judo competitors during the World Champions (2009 and 2010) in the light of the new judo sport rules. Archives ofBudo 2011;7:5-9.
- 11. Adam M, Tyszkowski S, Smaruj M. The Contest Effectiveness of the Men’s National Judo Team of Japan and Character of Their Technical-Tactical Preparation during the World Judo Championships 2010. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity 2011;3 (1):65-74.
- 12. STATISTICA MANUAL version 10 (data analysis software system), Stat Soft, Inc.; 2011 [www.statsoft.com].
- 13. Smaruj M. Symetria i asymetria rzutów podczas walki w judo [in Polish] [Symmetry and asymmetry of throws during a judo fight]. Rocznik Naukowy /AWF Gdańsk/ 2002;12:227-233.
- 14. Drabik J, Jaremczak K, Biliński A, Krysiuk M, Adam M. Symetria i asymetria działań judoka podczas walki [in Polish] [Symmetry and asymmetry of a judoka’s actions during a fight]. Kultura Fizyczna 1978; (8):350-352.
- 15. Drabik J, Jaremczak K, Starosta W. Przejawy asymetrii funkcjonalnej w przygotowaniu zawodników judo [in Polish] [Symptoms of functional asymmetry in preparation of judo competitors]. Kultura Fizyczna 1981;(4):14-17.
- 16. Bompa T, Haff G. Periodization. Theory and Methodology of Training. 5th Edition. Champaign, Ill.: Human Kinetics; 2009.
- 17. Błach W, Migasiewicz J, Hajdrych T, Cynarski WJ. Rodzaje podejmowanych działań technicznotaktycznych w judo na przykładzie walki w Pucharze Świata seniorów i juniorów [in Polish] [Types of undertaken technical-tactical actions in judo on the example of fights in the senior and junior world cup]. IdoMovement for Culture 2006;6:169-175.
- 18. Margnes E, Paillard T. Teaching balance for judo practitioners. Ido Movement for Culture. Journal ofMartial Arts Anthropology 2011;11 (1):42-46.
Publication order reference