Age-Related Differences of Hamstring Flexibility in Male Soccer Players
Languages of publication
Background: The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between age and hamstring flexibility of male soccer players and to provide reference data.Material/Methods: The study comprised 698 male subjects. The largest group consisted of male adolescents (n = 597; aged 10-22 years, yrs), further subdivided into six two-year age groups; the other two groups being children (n = 21, younger than 10 yrs) and adult players (n = 80; older than 22 yrs). All of those who participated in our study were members of competitive soccer clubs. They were examined for anthropometric characteristics, body composition, and performed the sit-and-reach test (SAR).Results: An analysis of variance revealed significant differences between age groups with respect to SAR (F7,690 = 17.62, p<0.001, η2 = 0.15). Our findings indicated that the older the age group, the higher the SAR (e.g. 16.6±5.1 cm in the children's group, 20.7±7.5 cm in the under-16-yr-old group and 24.7±6.9 cm in the adult group). This result came in agreement with the significant and moderate correlation coefficient between age and SAR (r = 0.33, p < 0.001).Conclusions: Although the cross-sectional design did not allow inferring a causal relationship between age and hamstring flexibility, it is reasonable to suppose that there are small gains in flexibility with development. Compared with previous findings, soccer players had similar values to the general population.
1 - 1 - 2012
2 - 7 - 2012
- Bangsbo J, Mohr M, Krustrup P. Physical and metabolic demands of training and match-play in the elite football player. J Sports Sci 2006;24(7):665-74.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Radzimiński L, Rompa P, Dargiewicz R, Ignatiuk W, Jastrzębski Z. An application of incremental running test results to train professional soccer players. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity 2010;2(1):67-74.
- Ignatiuk W, Rompa P, Radzimiński L, Dargiewicz R, Jastrzębski Z. Changes of lactate threshold during a half-year training cycle in "Arka Gdynia" football players. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity 2010;2(2):104-12.
- Jastrzębski Z, Dargiewicz R, Ignatiuk W, Radzimiński L, Rompa P, Konieczna A. Lactate threshold changes in soccer players during the preparation period. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity 2011;3(2):96-104.
- Jastrzębski Z, Barnat W, Konieczna A, Rompa P, Radzimihski L. Changes of physical capacity and soccer-related skills in young soccer players within a one-year training period. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity 2011;3(4):248-61.
- Manna I, Khanna GL, Dhara PC. Effect of training on morphological, physiological and biochemical variables of U-19 soccer players. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity 2011;3(4):237-47.
- Głowacki A, Ignatiuk W, Konieczna A, Jastrzębski Z. Training load structure of young soccer players in a typical training microcycle during the competitive and the transition period. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity 2011;3(1):26-33.
- Alter MJ. Science of flexibility. 3rd ed. Champaign: Human Kinetics; 2004.
- Bradley PS, Portas MD. The relationship between preseason range of motion and muscle strain injury in elite soccer players. J Strength Cond Res 2007;21(4):1155-9.[PubMed]
- Foreman TK, Addy T, Baker S, Burns J, Hill N, Madden T. Prospective studies into the causation of hamstring injuries in sport: a systematic review. Phys Ther Sport 2006;7(2):101-9.[Crossref]
- Henderson G, Barnes CA, Portas MD. Factors associated with increased propensity for hamstring injury in English Premier League soccer players. J Sci Med Sport 2010;13(4):397-402.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Rolls A, George K. The relationship between hamstring muscle injuries and hamstring muscle length in young elite footballers. Phys Ther Sport 2004;5(4):179-87.[Crossref]
- Witvrouw E, Danneels L, Asselman P, D'Have T, Cambier D. Muscle flexibility as a risk factor for developing muscle injuries in male professional soccer players, a prospective study. Am J Sports Med 2003;31:41-6.
- Vaeyens R, Malina RM, Janssens M, et al. A multidisciplinary selection model for youth soccer: the Ghent youth soccer project. Br J Sports Med 2006;40:928-36.[Crossref]
- Mirkov DM, Kukolj M, Ugarkovic D, Koprivica J, Jaric S. Development of anthropometric and physical performance profiles of young elite male soccer players: a longitudinal study. J Strength Cond Res 2010;24(10):2677-82.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
- Leatt P, Shephard RJ, Plyley MJ. Specific muscular development in under-18 soccer players. J Sport Sci 1987;5(2):165-75.
- Nikolaidis P. Physiological characteristics of elite Greek female soccer players. Med Sport 2010;63(3):343-51.
- Nikolaidis PT, Karydis NV. Physique and body composition in soccer players across adolescence. Asian J Sport Med 2011;2(2):75-82.
- Nikolaidis P. Core stability of male and female football players. Biomed Hum Kinetics 2010;2:30-3.
- Nikolaidis PT. Development of force-velocity characteristics in male adolescent soccer players. Kinesiology 2012, in print.
- Nikolaidis PT. Cardiorespiratory power across adolescence in male soccer players. Hum Physiol 2011;37(5):636-41.[Crossref]
- Nikolaidis PT. Anaerobic power across adolescence in soccer players. Hum Movement 2011;12(4):342-7.
- Feldmann D, Shrier I, Rossignol M, Abenhaim L. Adolescent growth is not associated with changes in flexibility. Clin J Sport Med 1999;9(1):24-9.[Crossref]
- Canhadas IL, Silva RLP, Chaves CR, Portes LA. Anthropometric and physical fitness characteristics of young male soccer players. Rev Bras Cineantropom Desempenho Hum 2010;12(4):239-45.
- Beunen G. Biological age in pediatric exercise research. In: Bar-Or O, editor. Advances in Pediatric Sport Sciences, vol 3, Biological issues. Champaign: Human Kinetics; 1989, 1-39.
- Malina RM, Bouchard C, Bar-Or O. Growth, maturation and physical activity. Champaign: Human Kinetics; 2004.
- Parizkova J. Lean body mass and depot fat during autogenesis in humans. In: Parizkova J, Rogozkin V, editors. Nutrition, Physical Fitness and Health: International Series on Sport Sciences. Baltimore: University Park Press; 1978.
- Haywood KM, Getchell N. Life span motor development. 5th ed. Champaign: Human Kinetics; 2009.
- Gabbe BJ, Bennell KL, Wajswelner H, Finch CF. Reliability of common lower extremity musculoskeletal screening tests. Phys Ther Sport 2004;5(2):90-7.
- Wells KF, Dillon EK. The sit and reach. A test of back and leg flexibility. Res Q Exerc Sport 1952;23:115-8.
- Georgiadis G. Biological potential of adolescent Greeks. Doctoral dissertation. University of Athens; 1991 [in Greek].
- Heyward VH. Advanced fitness assessment and exercise prescription. 6th ed. Champaign: Human Kinetics; 2010.
- Ortega FB, Artero EG, Ruiz JR, et al. Physical fitness levels among European adolescents: the HELENA study. Br J Sport Med 2011 Jan;45(1):20-9.[Crossref]
- Reilly T. The science of training - soccer. Oxon: Routledge; 2007.
- Gleim GW, McHugh MP. Flexibility and its effect on sports injury and performance. Sports Med 1997;24:289-9.[Crossref]
- Manning C, Hudson Z. Comparison of hip joint range of motion in professional youth and senior team footballers with age-matched controls: an indication of early degenerative change? Phys Ther Sport 2009;10(1):25-9.[Crossref][PubMed][WoS]
Publication order reference