An Interaction between Exercise Order and Rest Interval during Lower-Body Resistance Exercise
Languages of publication
Background: The purpose of the present study was to compare the influence of two- and five-minute rest intervals on the number of repetitions per set and total repetitions per exercise for a lower-body workout performed in 2 different sequences.Material/Methods: 12 resistance trained men completed 4 experimental resistance exercise sessions. All sessions consisted of 3 sets with a 10-repetition maximum load for 4 lower-body exercises. Two different exercise sequences (i.e., A or B) were performed with either 2- or 5- minute rest between the sets and the exercises, respectively. The order of exercises for sequence A2 (SEQA2) and sequence A5 (SEQA5) was squat, leg curl, leg extension, and calf raise with 2- and 5-minute rest intervals between the sets and the exercises respectively. Conversely, for sequence B2 (SEQB2) and sequence B5 (SEQB5), the exercises were performed in the opposite order.Results: The results demonstrated a significant decrease from set 1 to set 2 in 3 exercises for SEQA2 and 2 exercises for SEQB2; from set 1 to set 3 in all exercises for SEQA2 and SEQB2, 3 exercises for SEQA5, and 2 exercises for SEQB5; and from set 2 to set 3 in 3 exercises for SEQA2, 2 exercises for SEQB2, and 1 exercise for SEQB5 (p<0.05). In addition, the total number of completed repetitions was significantly different (p<0.05) between sequences for squat (SEQA5 > SEQA2 > SEQB5 > SEQB2), leg curl (SEQA5 = SEQB5 > SEQA2 = SEQB2), leg extension (SEQA5 = SEQB5 = SEQB2 > ASEQA2), and calf raise (SEQB5 > SEQB2 = SEQA5 > SEQA2).Conclusions: The results indicate that during a lower-body workout reductions in the number of repetitions are greater for exercises performed at the end of the sequences, and the influence of the different rest interval lengths may depend on the position of the exercise in a sequence.
1 - 1 - 2012
2 - 7 - 2012
- Sforzo GA, Touey PR. Manipulating exercise order affects muscular performance during a resistance exercise training session. J Strength Cond Res 1996;10:20-24.
- Spreuwenberg LP, et al. Influence of exercise order in a resistance-training exercise session. J Strength Cond Res 2006;20:141-4.
- Simão R, Farinati PTV, Polito MD, Viveiros L, Fleck SJ. Influence of exercise order on the number of repetitions performed and perceived exertion during resistance exercise in women. J Strength Cond Res 2007;21:23-28.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- Gentil P, Oliviera E, Rocha Junior VA, Docarmo J, Bottaro M. Effects of exercise order on upper-body muscle activation and exercise performance. J Strength Cond Res2007;21:1082-1086.[PubMed]
- American College of Sports Medicine. Position stand: progression models in resistance training for healthy adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2002;34:364-380.
- American College of Sports Medicine. Position Stand: Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2009;41:459-471.[WoS]
- Ratamess RA, Falvo MJ, Mangine GT, Hofman JR, Faigenbaum AD, Kang J. The effect of rest interval length on metabolic responses to the bench press exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol 2007;100:1-17.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Bottaro M, Martins B, Gentil P, Wagner D. Effects of rest duration between sets of resistance training on acute hormonal responses in trained women. J Sci Med Sports 2009;12:73-78.[Crossref]
- Rahimi R, Ghadiri M, Faraji H, Borujerdi SS. Effects of very short rest periods on hormonal responses to resistance exercise in men. J Strength Cond Res 2010;24:1852-1859.
- Fleck SJ. Cardiovascular adaptations to resistance training. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1988;20:S146-151.[Crossref]
- Hill-Haas S, Bishop D, Dawson B, Goodman C, Edge J. Effects of rest interval during high-repetition resistance training on strength, aerobic fitness, and repeated-sprint ability. J Sports Sci 2007;25:619-628.[Crossref]
- Willardson, JM, Burkett LN. The effect of different rest intervals between sets on volume components and strength gains. J Strength Cond Res 2008;22:146-152.[WoS][Crossref][PubMed]
- Willardson JM, Burkett LN. A comparison of 3 different rest intervals on the exercise volume completed during a workout. J Strength Cond Res 2005;19:23-6.[PubMed]
- Willardson JM, Burkett LN. The effect of rest interval length on bench press performance with heavy vs light load. J Strength Cond Res 2006;20:396-399.[WoS][PubMed]
- Willardson JM, Burkett LN. The effect of rest interval length on the sustainability of squat and bench press repetitions. J Strength Cond Res 2006;20:400-403.[PubMed]
- Mirzaei B, Rahmani Nia F, Saberi Y. Comparison of 3 different rest intervals on sustainability of squat repetitions with heavy vs. light loads. Br J B 2008;2:220-229.
- Miranda H, Fleck SJ, Simao R, Barreto AC, Dantas HM, Novaes J. Effect of two different rest period lengths on the number of repetitions performed during resistance training. J Strength Cond Res 2007; 21:1032-1036.[PubMed]
- Miranda H, Simão R, Moreira LM, et al. Effect of rest interval length on the volume completed during upper body resistance exercise. J Sports Sci Med 2009;8:388-392.[PubMed]
- Senna G, Salles BF, Prestes J, Mello RA, Simão R. Influence of two different rest interval lengths in resistance training sessions for upper and lower body. J Sports Sci Med 2009;8:197-202.[PubMed]
- Salles BF, Simao R, Miranda F, Novaes JS, Lemos A, Willardson JM. Rest interval between sets in strength training. Sports Med 2009;39:765-777.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Miranda H, Simao R, Vigario PS, Salles BF, Pacheco MTT, Willardson JM. Exercise order interacts with rest interval during upper-body resistance exercise. J Strength Cond Res 2010;24:1573-77.[WoS][PubMed][Crossref]
- Kraemer WJ. A series of studies: the physiological basis for strength training in American football: fact over philosophy. J Strength Cond Res 1997;11:131-42.
- Richmond SR, Godard MP. The effects of varied rest periods between sets of failure using bench press in recreationally trained men. J Strength Cond Res 2004;18:846-849.[PubMed]
- Rahimi R. Effect of different rest intervals on the exercise volume completed during squat bouts. J Sports Sci Med 2005;4:361-366.
- Willardson JM. A brief review: Factors affecting the length of the rest interval between resistance exercise sets. J Strength Cond Res 2006;20:978-984.[PubMed]
- Willardson JM, Kattenbraker MS, Khairallah M, Fontana FE. Research note: Effect of load reductions over consecutive sets on repetition performance. J Strength Cond Res 2010;24:879-884.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
Publication order reference