Kinematics Tactics in Swimming Races on the Example of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games and the Rome 2009 World Championships
Languages of publication
Background: Tactics in endurance disciplines is often considered by a analysis of distribution of velocity at a distance. Long-distance swimming (800m, 1500m) is a discipline perfectly located in the above definition. Thus the purpose of the paper is to deepen knowledge on sport tactics based on the distribution of velocity by athletes training swimming at the highest level.Material/Methods: The research material comprised finalists of the swimming race on the 800 meters at the Olympic Games in Beijing (2008) and the World Championships in Rome (2009). Data on the average speed for the entire distance and average speed for the 50-meter segments were analyzed. The average speed for the "halves" (350m and 400m) and "quarters" (150m, 200m, 200m, 200m) was calculated, and the specific "velocity differences index" was also identified (VDI). To illustrate the results better, a linear and non-linear regression equation was used.Results: The results show that the top athletes both of the Beijing Olympics and the World Championships in Rome maintain consistency of the pace; deviations from the average velocity are low, and increasing speed happens at the finish. The analysis of non-linear regression equation confirms this observation. The second "half" of the distance is covered by the best swimmer at higher speeds compared to the first part of the distance; the analysis of "quarters" indicates that the middle one is the slowest. The values of VDI for "halves" have the lowest values in both races for the best swimmers.Conclusions: The analysis of results justifies the conclusion that primarily it is the constant pace of the race that gives a chance to obtain a high result. The ultimate way in which the race is to be executed depends on athlete's individual predispositions; however, maintaining a constant high speed without speeding up at the finish proved to be an effective tactic in the case of one of the top athletes in both races.
1 - 1 - 2011
3 - 1 - 2012
- Michajłow WW. Analiza rozkładu sił na różnych dystansach wieloboju łyżwiarskiego [in Polish] [An analysis of force distribution at different distances of multi-discipline skating]. Sport Wyczynowy 1971;2:24-30.
- Achtel A. Charakterystyka zawodów wioślarskich igrzysk XX olimpiady w Monachium [in Polish] [Characteristics of the Olympic rowing competition of the 20th Olympiad in Munich]. Sport Wyczynowy 1973;6:18-23.
- Ważny Z, Sadowski G. Problemy taktyki w konkurencjach wytrzymałościowych o cyklicznym charakterze ruchów [in Polish] [Problems of tactic in endurance competitions with a cyclical nature of movements]. Kultura Fizyczna 1974;10:439-443.
- Rana MS, Dabas VK. Strategy and tactics in relay swimming. Society for the National Institutes of Physical Education and Sports Journal 1982;5(3):33-36.
- Gabryś T. Poziom sportowy a dynamika prędkości biegu na dystansie 800m kobiet [in Polish] [Sports level and the dynamics of running speed over a distance of women's 800m]. In: Socha S, editor. III Międzynarodowa Konferencja Naukowa "Problemy dymorfizmu płciowego w sporcie" [Proceedings of 3rd Scientific Conference on "Problems of Sexual Dimorfism in Sport"]. Katowice: AWF; 1995, 598-606.
- Gabryś T, Celeban A. Prędkość a taktyczne rozwiązania w biegach długich na dystansie 5000 i 10000 m [in Polish] [Velocity and tactical solutions in the long-distance running for 5000 and 10000m]. Lekkoatleta 1996;7-8:49-52.
- Zhongming L, Guokuan Y, Aiping C. Study of the competition tactics of Chinese and world top swimmers in recent years. In: Pre-Olympic congress: Proceeding: volume II: Sport science through the ages. Thessaloniki: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki; 2004, 65-66.
- Erdmann WS, Aschenbrenner P, Dargiewicz R, Lipińska P, Urbański R. Biomechanical investigations of sport tactics of the world level competitors. Research Yearbook [Jedrzej Sniadecki Academy of Physical Education and Sport] 2006;12(2) 232-236.
- Lipińska P. Wielkości kinematyczne i geometria trasy a taktyka biegu w maratonie [in Polish] [Kinematic quantities and geometry of the course and tactics of running in marathon]. Ph diss., Gdansk: AWFiS; 2006.
- Messinis S, Platanou T. Pacing device for swimming. Mechanical construction of constant speed. Journal of Physical Education and Sport / Citius Altius Fortius 2004;26(1):25.
- Arska M. Rozkład międzyczasów w maratonie oraz chodach lekkoatletycznych [in Polish] [The distribution of split times in the marathon and athletic gaits]. Sport Wyczynowy 1972;9 48-49.
- Giovanis V. Kinematyka przejazdów torów slalomowych w narciarstwie alpejskim a problem urazowości [in Polish] [Kinematics of crossing of slalom track in alpine skiing and the problem of injuries]. Ph diss., Kraków: AWF; 1995.
- Erdmann WS. Kinematics of tactics of men's 1500 m freestyle swimming at 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials Finals. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity Activity [Jedrzej Sniadecki Academy of Physical Education and Sport] 2009;14(2):92-98.
- Lipińska P, Erdmann WS. Kinematics of tactics in the men's 1500 m freestyle swimming final at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. In: Harrison D, Anderson R, Kenny I, editors. Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Biomechanics in Sports. University of Limerick, Ireland; 2009, 467-470.
- Ting L. Tactics analysis on women swimming athletes in the 800m freestyle swimming race using speed coefficient theory. In: First International Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. Wuhan: Wuhan Institute of Physical Education; 2008, 453-456.
- Lipińska P. Kinematics tactics in the Womens's 800 m Freestyle Swimming Final at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Baltic Journal of Health and Physical Activity [Jedrzej Sniadecki Academy of Physical Education and Sport] 2009;1(1):79-84.
- Erdmann WS, Giovannis W, Aschenbrenner P, Suchanowski A. Biomechaniczne badania taktyki przejazdu slalomu giganta narciarstwa alpejskiego [In Polish] [Biomechanical study of tactics of alpine skiing giant slalom]. In: Ogólnopolska Konferencja Naukowo-Problemowa "Sporty zimowe u progu XXI wieku oraz tradycje i perspektywy Zakopanego" [Proceedings of Conference on "Winter Sports at the Turn of Century and Traditions and Perpectives of the Town of Zakopane"]. Kraków: AWF; 2001, 38-39.
- Erdmann WS, Giovannis W, Aschenbrenner P. Biomechanics of tactics of running a course in four alpine skiing disciplines: first course geometry results. Human Movement 2008;9(2):124-127.
- The Official Site of the Beijing Olympics. [accessed 10 March 2009] available at
- Official Website of OMEGA. [accessed 15 September 2009] available at
Publication order reference