The Influence of Various Fitness Forms on the Reduction of the Adipose Tissue
Languages of publication
Background: An assessment of the influence of a six-week cycle of fitness activities on the state of the adipose tissue in students and an assessment of the efficiency of chosen fitness exercises (STEP, LOW and TBC) in the reduction of the adipose tissue.Material/Methods: Subjects performed physical exercises of the fitness character within a period of 6 weeks. Exercises took place three times a week. Three types of fitness forms of the same intensity were chosen for the research: STEP, LOW and TBC. The subjects were recommended a change in the hitherto existing way of nutrition. The parameters measured were: the height and the mass of the body and the thickness of chosen skin folds (on a shoulder, under a scapula, on the abdomen, on a shin).Results: Systematic participation in fitness exercises as aerobic forms is an efficient and a safe form of the reduction of the adipose tissue; however, six weeks' long STEP, LOW and TBC fitness forms with a frequency of 3 times per week, in the class of 75 examined students, did not bring statistically essential changes of these parameters in those examined. Without a change of the already existing diet, a decrease in the body mass was noted in 54.7% of them; however, a reduction of the adipose tissue followed in 58.7%. For the lack of the possibility of the inspection of the diet of the examined participants, this result can be considered as satisfying. LOW proved to be the activity most efficiently affecting the decrease in the body mass, where the reduction occurred in 61.5% of those exercising. TBC is the most efficient form in the reduction of the adipose tissue. The effect was obtained by 66.7% of those exercising in this class.Conclusions: The applied program of exercises did not have an essential influence on the reduction of both the body mass and the level of the adipose tissue. To prevent the occurrence of overweight and obesity, the applied program of exercises can be used as a form of everyday activity.
1 - 1 - 2011
20 - 10 - 2011
- Skorupska S, Piłkowski S, Mamcarz A. Programowanie aktywności fizycznej u osób otyłych [in Polish] [Programming physical activity in obese persons]. KardioProfil 2007;4/5(19):240-244.
- Branca F, Nikogosian H, Lobstein T. The challenge of obesity in the WHO European region and the strategies for response: Summary. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2007.
- James WP. The epidemiology of obesity: the size of the problem. J Intern Med 2008;263:336-352.[WoS]
- Drygas W, Kostka T, Jagier A, Kuński H. Long-term effects of different physical activity levels on coronary heart disease risk factors in middle-aged men. Int J Sports Med 2000;21:235-241.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Hu FB, Manson JE, Stampfer MJ, et al. Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women. N Engl J Med 2001;345:790-797.
- Plewa M, Markiewicz A. Aktywność fizyczna w profilaktyce i leczeniu otyłości. [in Polish] [Physical activity in the prophylaxis and treatment of obesity] Endokrynologia, Otyłość, Zaburzenia Przemiany Materii 2006;2(1):33-37.
- Pratt M, Macera CA, Wang G. Higher medical cost associated with physical inactivity. The Physician and Sportsmedicine 2000;28:68-70.
- Cieślińska J, Saulicz E, Plewa M. Efektywność gimnastyki odchudzającej w profilaktyce i leczeniu otyłości prostej [in Polish] [The effectiveness of slimming gymnastics in the prophylaxis and treatment of simple obesity]. Fizjoterapia 2001;9:30-38.
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curie LR, MCDowell MA, Tabak CJ, Flegal KM. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States 1999-2004. JAMA 2006;295:1549-1555.
- Potteiger JA, Kirk EP, Jacobsen DJ, Donnelly JE. Changes in resting metabolic rate and substrate oxidation after 16 months of exercise training in overweight adults. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2008;18:79-95.
- Stasiulis A, Mockienė A, Vizbaraitė D, Mockus P. Aerobic exercise-induced changes in body composition and blood lipids in young women. Medicina (Kaunas) 2010;46(2):129-134.
- American College of Sports Medicine. Position Stand: The recommended quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardio respiratory and muscular fitness, and flexibility in healthy adults. Med Sci Sport Exer 1998;20:975-991.
- Borer KT. How effective is exercise in producing fat loss? Kinesiology 2008;402:126-137.
- Dunn AL, Blair SN. Translating evidence-based physical activity interventions into practice. The 2010 challenge. Am J Prev Med 2002;22:8-9.
- Romijn JA, Coyle EF. Substrate metabolism during different exercise intensities in endurance - trained women. J Appl Physiol 2000;6(88):1707-1714.
- Morgan B, Woodruff SJ, Tiidus PM. Aerobic energy expenditure during recreational weight training in females and males. J Sport Sci Med 2003;2:117-122.
- Piechaczek H. Oznaczanie całkowitego tłuszczu ciała metodami densymetryczną i antropometryczną [in Polish] [Marking total body fat by means of a densytometric and anthropometric methods]. Materiały i Prace Antropologiczne 1975;89:3-48.
- Catenacci VA, Wyatt HR. The role of physical activity in producing and maintaining weight loss. Nature Clinical Practice: Endocrinology and Metabolism 2007;3:518-529.[Crossref]
- Strasser B, Spreitzer A, Haber P. Fat loss depends on energy deficit only, independently of the method of weight loss. Ann Nutr Metab 2007;51:428-432.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- Wilmore JH, Costill DL. Physiology of sport and exercise. Champaign: Human Kinetics; 1994.
- Melanson EL, Sharp TA, Horton TJ. Effect of exercise intensity on 24-h energy expenditure and nutrient oxidation. J Appl Physiol 2002;92:1045-1052.
- Bronikowski M. Związek pomiędzy sprawnością fizyczną, częstotliwością podejmowania aktywności fizycznej a wskaźnikiem nadwagi [in Polish] [The connection between fitness, the frequency of undertaking physical activity and obesity indices]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Zdrowotne 2004;12:10-14.
- Łysak A, Tomczak H. The assessment of the extent of body mass reduction, sense of coherence and health attitude in the context of health behaviour of participants of losing weight programme. Research Yearbook 2006;12(1):75-79.
- Cabric M, Krakowiak H, Janczak R. Porównanie budowy i składu ciała studentek różnych kierunków studiów [in Polish] [A comparison of the body build and composition in female students of various fields of studies]. Fizjoterapia Polska 2003; 3(3):272-276.
- Buemann B, Astrup A, Christensen NJ. Three months aerobic training fails to affect 24-hour energy expenditure in weight-stable, post-obese women. Int J Obes 1992;16:809-816.
- Byrne HK, Wilmore JH. The effects of a 20-week exercise training program on resting metabolic rate in previously sedentary moderately obese women. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2001;11:15-31.
- Sawczyn S, Keuhne T. Low- and high-resistance isokinetic strength training in rehabilitation programs of overweight women. Research Yearbook 2006;12(1):70-74.
- Romijn JA, Coyle EF, Sidosis LS, et al. Regulation of endogenous fat and carbohydrate metabolism in relation to exercise intensity and duration. Am J Physiol 1993;265(3):E380-91.
- Jeukendrup AE, Saris WHM, Wagenmakers AJM. Fat metabolism during exercise: A review. Part II: Regulation of metabolism and the effects of training. Int J Sports Med 1998;19:293-302.[Crossref]
- Kim MK, Tomita T, Kim MJ, Sasai H, Maeda S, Tanaka K. Aerobic exercise training reduces epicardial fat in obese men. J Appl Physiol 2009;106(1):5-11.[PubMed]
- van Baak MA. Exercise training and substrate utilisation in obesity. Int J Obes 1999;27:11-17.
Publication order reference