Kinematic Tactics in the Women's 800 m Freestyle Swimming Final at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games
Languages of publication
Background: The purpose of this study was to obtain knowledge on tactics of long distance swimming at the highest women professional level.Material/Methods: Eight swimmers, finalists of 800 m distance of freestyle of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games were examined. The distribution of velocity of swimming for the entire distance based on 50 m segments was analyzed. Partial, halves and quarters velocity, speed indexes and linear and nonlinear regression equations were calculated.Results: It was revealed that better swimmers (placed 1-3) had their distribution of swimming as an ascending line and with very small difference between segmental velocity and that of the entire distance, while the rest of swimmers had a descending velocity line and a higher dispersion of partial values.Conclusions: High performance swimmers have to hold uniform velocity of movement with small dispersion along the entire distance of swimming.
1 - 1 - 2009
3 - 11 - 2009
- Schleighauf RE. A hydrodynamic analysis of swimming propulsion. In: Terauds J, Bedingfield E, editors. Swimming III. Baltimore: University Park Press; 1979, 70-109.
- Hollander AP, Touissant HM, Van Ingen Schenau GJ. Active drag and swimming performance. New Zeal J Sport Med 1985;13:110-113.
- Sanders R. Beyond race analysis. In: Sanders R, Hong Y, editors. Proceedings of XVIII International Symposium on Biomechanics in Sports. Applied Program: Application of Biomechanical Study in Swimming. Hong Kong: The Chinese University of Hong Kong; 2000, 3-11.
- Lipińska P. Wielkosci kinematyczne i geometria trasy a taktyka biegu w maratonie [in Polish] [Kinematic quantities and geometry of the course and tactics of running in marathon]. Ph diss., Gdansk: AWFiS; 2006.
- Erdmann WS, Aschenbrenner P, Dargiewicz R, Lipińska P, Urbański R. Biomechanical investigations of sport tactics of the world level competitors. Research Yearbook (Jedrzej Sniadecki Academy of Physical Education and Sport) 2006;12(2):232-236.
- Erdmann WS. Kinematics of Tactics of Men's 1500 m Freestyle Swimming at 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials Finals. Research Yearbook (Jedrzej Sniadecki Academy of Physical Education and Sport) 2008;14(2):92-98.
- Lipińska P, Erdmann WS. Kinematics of tactics in the Men's 1500 m freestyle swimming final at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. In: Harrison D, Anderson R, Kenny I. Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Biomechanics in Sports. Limerick: University of Limerick; 2009, 467-470.
- The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games [accessed 10 March 2009] available at
Publication order reference